Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by thomasito
Wouldn't it be fair to think about that first before booking, so others have the chance of getting a room as well?

W also removed all cash rates shortly after releasing, and it is almost impossible that all nights are sold out for all rooms. Only the beach bungalows garden view can be booked with points, which makes only a small percentage of rooms of the W.
Wife hadn't decided on which one yet. So the boss lady gets what she wants until she can settle on something.

Lucky for you or not, she chose the W.

I released the westin and StR for 12/23-12/28.

Good luck,
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain

These dates were already live a few weeks ago for both cash and awards up to at least mid December. Very strange October 1st and onwards are no longer available for cash or points.
Yesterday hotel told me they have availability and I let them know that the web-site said otherwise. Looks like it has been fixed.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
I think the hotels blocking rooms also has something to do with the "points advance" option at Marriott. the hotels probably don't realize that the probability of cancellations given points advance has gone up (and they probably also don't realize that people are booking without points in the account). I do sympathize with the hotels reacting by blocking rooms knowing Marriott won't enforce the no-blackout dates policy.

I actually quite liked the old "you need to have the points to book" policy at SPG, that came with real no BS no blackout policy. Love the days when SPG made the hotel open up inventory when the hotel played tricks.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Interesting. Doing some award night searches in 2019 and it has beach villas for 60K/night but Fabulous Overwater Villlas for 270K/night!!! A 5-night stay is showing 1,290,000 MR points lol. Is this the new rate from the previous 85K/night? Feel like that's higher than even the St.Regis OWV award rate. If you can pay a cash upgrade, that's a far better deal

Last edited by ahbitheman; Jan 24, 2019 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Daveddds
Wife hadn't decided on which one yet. So the boss lady gets what she wants until she can settle on something.

Lucky for you or not, she chose the W.

I released the westin and StR for 12/23-12/28.

Good luck,
just curious, but what made her choose W over the other two? Facing similar decision here.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Has anyone had their stay and points post from their award stays? I submitted a missing stay request with receipt and only got some tiny amount in points. I'm going back and forth now with their offshore team who is being unhelpful. All my dining should be earning me 10 points per USD plus the elite bonus.

Also wondering if I should get points for the seaplane. After all this hassle I think I should .

Will calling in help? Normally, this submit missing stay request works fine...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ahbitheman
Has anyone had their stay and points post from their award stays? I submitted a missing stay request with receipt and only got some tiny amount in points. I'm going back and forth now with their offshore team who is being unhelpful. All my dining should be earning me 10 points per USD plus the elite bonus.

Also wondering if I should get points for the seaplane. After all this hassle I think I should .

Will calling in help? Normally, this submit missing stay request works fine...
My recent overseas SPG stays have been posting ridiculously late -- like 10-13 days after the stay. But yeah I've also had bad experiences with ancillary spend not posting correctly if I submit a stay for manual processing, so personally I'm going to wait it out on my W stay and hope it posts eventually. If you've already manually submitted, you are in for a tough road getting the points for the ancillary spend ... I'd suggest calling and asking for a supervisor maybe, or perhaps going to the FT lurkers.

That said, I don't think you're supposed to earn points for the seaplane spend.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
increased fees to points reservation

I have a reservation for February for 5 nights. In reviewing the reservation today, the amounts in fees has jumped from 1010 USD to 2107USD
Resort Fee : 60
Destination Amenity Fee: 848.22
Local Fee: 980
Taxes and Fees: 219.39
Total:2107.61

Has anyone seen this change as well? I am aware of the 475 pp charge for the seaplane, but this is another unannounced change to the cash payment required which is obviously concerning.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
I see the same - did anyone reached out to Marriott already?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Same increase in fees on mine for April of around $1000. My flights are non refundable, so they have me over a barrel. Wonderful.

The avenues for contact are the email [email protected] or trying @spgassist on Twitter.

If fees can just be inserted into confirmed reservations then my business with Marriott is done. I will burn my remaining points (crossing my fingers no other reservations change in the meantime). I don't even see how this is legal.

Last edited by MrM2016; Jan 26, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:20 pm

Lol just noticed mine showing the same
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
I alerted Gary Leff on Twitter (who got involved with Al Maha changing their points reservations and ultimately escalated to Marriott). He says it's a mistake but at least he's aware.

Immediately after he responded @spgassist asked for more details, so I've shared. Their response back to me has been: We will connect with this resort and have them reach out to you by email for more infomation[sic] about this fee. So I don't recommend taking that avenue, looks like it's best to email the resort.

After the migration I saved my booking so for everyone's reference it is the local fee which has been added. See below.

Booking (December)

Booking (Now)

Last edited by MrM2016; Jan 26, 2019 at 7:26 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:18 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Nm. Missed the very relevant last post w the extra extra charge...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MrM2016
Same increase in fees on mine for April of around $1000. My flights are non refundable, so they have me over a barrel. Wonderful.

The avenues for contact are the email [email protected] or trying @spgassist on Twitter.

If fees can just be inserted into confirmed reservations then my business with Marriott is done. I will burn my remaining points (crossing my fingers no other reservations change in the meantime). I don't even see how this is legal.
My existing awards reservation jumped too by $980.

UPDATE : Looks like it applies to cash bookings as well

Last edited by FrontOfTheCurtain; Jan 26, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain

My existing awards reservation jumped too by $980.

UPDATE : Looks like it applies to cash bookings as well
Yes, I just did a dummy cash booking and it was showing. Keep in mind your reservation jumped by more than $980 because of the additional tax as well. I wonder if cash bookings have also seen it added retrospectively alongside our points bookings.

I understand (sort of, the fee is hardly clearly defined) if they want to apply this to new reservations. Fine, that's their prerogative. However, adding this on to existing reservations is completely unacceptable.

Has anyone received any word yet back from the W? Nothing on my side. Appreciate it's the weekend so wasn't expecting anything today.

Regardless of what happens, I'm likely stuck with my reservation due to my flights. The points redemption goes from 'great' to 'good' value from this change (about 1.6c per point for me based on current cash rate), but that's beside the point, this is not acceptable. My assumption also is that this conduct would be illegal in most countries, I thought the booking forms the contract between the customer and the hotel, and they have unilaterally changed the terms. Can anyone speak to that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.