Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by hiranandani
does anyone know if maldives has jet-ski's for rental?? as i can't find any info relating to jet-ski's on this thread nor on w's maldives site.

I don't remember seeing them, I know they are very protective of the waters - so they may be banned. Check with DownUnder. Attached the price list and the activity list for you.

http://assets.wretreatmaldives.com/l...UnderWave1.pdf
http://www.wretreatmaldives.com/w_re...n_under_diving
Old May 12, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by vg247
Any Platinums been here recently, I'm curious about the hotel and recognition if any.

Also any information / details about the hotel would be greatly appreciated ie. food, beach, house reef?

I'm planning a once in a lifetime trip to the Maldives sometime this Oct-December and contemplating staying here at the W just to be spg loyal or whether I should just go with something like the Four Seasons where one would get more at a nicer hotel ( from what I read about the Sheraton Maldives it's not great so ruled the spg hotel out )

My concern is coming all this way for our lifetime dream trip to the Maldives and be disappointed with the W just because I wanted to stay there being a loyal spg..

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and feedback..
Visited in January. Plat Amb.

You will not get upgraded; but they treat you quite well - they actually have a picture of each Plat guest posted in their staff room (it's the picture that they take of you on arrival - sneaky, but good!).

The food in the Maldives is average at best - I have friends that have gone to the major upscale hotels (including 4 Seasons) and have all reported the same. To be fair, the wife and I are a bit of snobs when it comes to dining.

In general I would concentrate on the vibe you are looking for rather then the hotel chain. The W has an age restriction, read no kids. The 4 Seasons it a bit more refined, and there are countless others that each have a slightly different angle. You are correct about the Sheraton - but don't rule it out for a transfer night - they have GREAT partner rates with the W.

I will say that I was really impressed with the service levels at the W as well as Wet/DownUnder staff. If you scuba this is the hotel for you - they are one of the best in the world (no exaggeration).
Old May 12, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fraz2007
Visited in January. Plat Amb.

You will not get upgraded; but they treat you quite well - they actually have a picture of each Plat guest posted in their staff room (it's the picture that they take of you on arrival - sneaky, but good!).

The food in the Maldives is average at best - I have friends that have gone to the major upscale hotels (including 4 Seasons) and have all reported the same. To be fair, the wife and I are a bit of snobs when it comes to dining.

In general I would concentrate on the vibe you are looking for rather then the hotel chain. The W has an age restriction, read no kids. The 4 Seasons it a bit more refined, and there are countless others that each have a slightly different angle. You are correct about the Sheraton - but don't rule it out for a transfer night - they have GREAT partner rates with the W.

I will say that I was really impressed with the service levels at the W as well as Wet/DownUnder staff. If you scuba this is the hotel for you - they are one of the best in the world (no exaggeration).
Thank you, fraz2007 this is perfect feedback:
This will be just a couples only trip and no kids would be a good option for us on this trip.

We do not scuba dive but do snorkel, especially if they have a house reef that would be a plus. It's not a deal breaker if they do not, we're just looking for a really nice resort with best over water bungalow rooms close to beautiful waters one imagines of when they think of going to the Maldives. Something in this price range that also offers decent restaurants (we're quite food snobs as well)..

Guess my question is now answered that SPG loyalty doesn't gain anything here other than points for the stays, so I will have to look into similar hotel options within the $1000-$1500/night range
Old May 12, 2014, 6:47 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We decided against the W. Maldives after sloppy communication beforehand and no actual advantage beyond points and night credit, which seems too OCD--even for me. Plus the food options actually looked dreadful.

Instead, we opted for the COMO resorts. My impression was that they focused on fresh, healthy food a bit more than the other resorts. A lighter, cleaner and purer culinary touch while lounging about for days on end can be a good thing.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Any Platinums been here recently, I'm curious about the hotel and recognition if any.

Also any information / details about the hotel would be greatly appreciated ie. food, beach, house reef?

I'm planning a once in a lifetime trip to the Maldives sometime this Oct-December and contemplating staying here at the W just to be spg loyal or whether I should just go with something like the Four Seasons where one would get more at a nicer hotel ( from what I read about the Sheraton Maldives it's not great so ruled the spg hotel out )

My concern is coming all this way for our lifetime dream trip to the Maldives and be disappointed with the W just because I wanted to stay there being a loyal spg..

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and feedback..
We experienced great personalized service and were upgraded to an excellent two bedroom 'Seascape Escape'. Hands down one of the best upgrades we've ever received.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback
We experienced great personalized service and were upgraded to an excellent two bedroom 'Seascape Escape'. Hands down one of the best upgrades we've ever received.
Thank you Peatisback, sounds like upgrades are luck of the draw. We're looking at going this November-December which is entering peek season so I'll way our options with various other resorts there.

What time of year did you visit?
Old May 14, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
We're looking at going this November-December
We are booked for November, so we might see you there!
Old May 14, 2014, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ttusqrl
We are booked for November, so we might see you there!
Awesome, thanks for posting...I'll definitely let you and everyone know if we book at the W along with dates so that perhaps we can meet up :-)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:21 pm

Hello! I have two questions and maybe one of you can help me. would love to visit the w maldives in november but im not sure about a couple of things:

1) are there mostly only couples in the hotel? wanted to go there with a friend or my mom.
2) what about the prices for drinks and food? can somebody tell me more about it ? should i book b&b or halfboard?

would be cool if somebody answers!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:04 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by rssr
Hello! I have two questions and maybe one of you can help me. would love to visit the w maldives in november but im not sure about a couple of things:

1) are there mostly only couples in the hotel? wanted to go there with a friend or my mom.
2) what about the prices for drinks and food? can somebody tell me more about it ? should i book b&b or halfboard?

would be cool if somebody answers!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi I think going to the Maldives is either a family affair or a romantic honeymoon type destination, but I think some of the other resorts might be better suited to visiting with a friend/mom. Prices are pretty high in the Maldives, I have been to several high end resorts (not W but have followed threads here) and you can 'pay to breathe'. A glass of wine is around 15 - 20 and cocktail 25 US in most resorts and for that it is a basic wine, food prices are high but you can book half board but that is around US 100 per person. Everything needs to be imported into the Maldives hence the high price tag (or so they claim). Don't even think about smuggling a bottle of vodka/wine in as it is strictly forbidden and they scan your luggage and if they find something they confiscate it and return it when you leave.

It is a great place if you like diving, but I think there are other resorts that would suit more if you are going with a friend or your Mum. A long way to get there from US (for us europeans a bit easier).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:12 am

Sorry if someone already asked this: but when is the rainy season in the Maldives? And how bad is it? (Is it like Bangkok where it showers for an hour and clears or like Singapore where it just dribbles for half a day?)

Thanks much guys
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaejaez
Sorry if someone already asked this: but when is the rainy season in the Maldives? And how bad is it? (Is it like Bangkok where it showers for an hour and clears or like Singapore where it just dribbles for half a day?)

Thanks much guys
I don't want to put you off, but when I first went to the Maldives we had literally a whole week of rain, straight through. I think we had one 2-3h window of nice-ish weather. We were told at the time that it was quite unusual, also since that was end of Nov. It was still nice though, and we went back a few years later, to much better weather
So I guess it can be ongoing, but you have to be quite unlucky.

Btw Singapore is typically also an hour of showers and then stops, but can be overcast for days.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Any recent experience in this hotel? I am booked for 6 nights at Park Hyatt and I still have 5 more nights. I am debating between the W or the Conrad... I will be SPG PLT at that time and I am 0 in hilton (although I could get gold with the CC haha)
Old May 5, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Any recent experience in this hotel? I am booked for 6 nights at Park Hyatt and I still have 5 more nights. I am debating between the W or the Conrad... I will be SPG PLT at that time and I am 0 in hilton (although I could get gold with the CC haha)
this place is a LOT of SPG points ....
Old May 5, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
this place is a LOT of SPG points ....
I dont really care about points but about the experience. It would be my honeymoon. They are the same price for my travel dates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.