Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
My experience with the W. Maldives is that it is annoying.

I asked a question about getting seaplane because arrival was scheduled at 2:45 and was worried what would happen if it were delayed until 3:30 (the time that flights need to be booked by). I asked if it could be held for 10-15 minutes in that scenario because I did not want to overnight in a local hotel, whether it be the Sheraton or the Four Seasons. I stressed that a seamless transition was more important than price, and that I was willing to pay extra.

Response:

Hey "There," "cut-n-paste of people need to arrive by 3:30 PM... you need to contact SPG with further questions.

So alas, I booked elsewhere.

I just don't get such crappy, ignorant answers to someone who's about to spend $15,000? So my response: "Whatever." I'll go somewhere else where my name is not "There." All the other hotels I contacted, COMOs, O&O, Cheval Blanc and FSes were all much better.

I guess it's 50/50 whether this place is good. Those odds shouldn't command high room rates.
Thanks, its interesting you say that as every other hotel I emailed (3-4 of them) replied within 24 hours. The W has not. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that its the weekend there. Considering they charge an arm and a leg more than everyone else (in cash and points), I would expect a better response.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
I guess it's 50/50 whether this place is good. Those odds shouldn't command high room rates.
At 50/50 there aren't many places I'd fly halfway around the world for. Lacking any specific information or even a personal experience at the resort (aside from a single email you received), your 50/50 assessment probably isn't too relevant for people considering a vacation to the W.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Thanks, its interesting you say that as every other hotel I emailed (3-4 of them) replied within 24 hours. The W has not. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that its the weekend there. Considering they charge an arm and a leg more than everyone else (in cash and points), I would expect a better response.
I've not had that much experience with W brand, but what little I've experienced makes it seem overly priced for shoddy service

I'd def prefer NOT to stay at a W
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:54 pm

whats the latest arrival at MLE that will allow me to get the seaplane to the W that night?

has anyone found options for late arrivals at MLE?

do i have any chance of using suite night awards for an upgrade for a stay here?

Last edited by ethang801; Mar 22, 2014 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Service from the W brand in general is not great, and this property's communication before a stay can be hit or miss, but once there, the service is excellent. At least for us, it was on par with FS and we had an amazing vacation at this property.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Peatisback
this property's communication before a stay can be hit or miss, but once there, the service is excellent.

Agreed, http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/28722
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ethang801
whats the latest arrival at MLE that will allow me to get the seaplane to the W that night?

has anyone found options for late arrivals at MLE?

do i have any chance of using suite night awards for an upgrade for a stay here?
Some words of wisdom...

1. 99% chance you will not get an upgrade - be happy with what you book. All rooms are amazing anyway.

2. Considering the cost of the rooms at the W, I wouldn't take a late arrival. Instead stay at the Sheraton Full Moon on night one and fly to the W via seaplane early the next morning. The goal is to maximize your time at the W island. Even if your room isn't ready it's no big deal - go to the pool.

3. Take advantage of the dive shop if you dive - they might be one of the best in the world.

4. Whale sharks are amazing - if you can swing it, go on the tour. Worse case, you don't see one and you spend half a day on a yacht.

5. Don't think about the money once you get there - you have already committed.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by fraz2007
Some words of wisdom...

5. Don't think about the money once you get there - you have already committed.
This... ^^^

I haven't stayed at the W but have been to the Maldives and totally agree.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: CX/MP, ASIA MILES, RITZ CARLTON/ MARRIOT, SPG, STAR ALLIANCE
planning on our honeymoon & have read through all the posts;

do have questions on bbq & points

[1] how much is the bbq rental & what are the food cost for the bbq? i know we get to keep the bbq for a day or so..

[2] do we earn points for staying & eating/drinking? or do we also earn points for other activities..i.e. water sports, sea plane..etc..??
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hiranandani

[1] how much is the bbq rental & what are the food cost for the bbq? i know we get to keep the bbq for a day or so..
BBQ is already on your deck... no need to rent anything. Don't remember costs for food, but remember it seemed very reasonable and in line with other food costs on the island.

[2] do we earn points for staying & eating/drinking? or do we also earn points for other activities..i.e. water sports, sea plane..etc..??
When I was there 3 years ago, I earned points for room/food/beverage. No points for seaplane or diving. I thought it was a little annoying that diving wasn't eligible, but they may have changed it since then.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat (life gold);UA 1K; IC Plat Amb
Re: Points -> We earned points on all spend at the hotel including water activities (whale shark, lots of scuba, etc). BTW don't forget to bring some USD to the island for tips for the people working the boats.

Fraz2007

Old May 1, 2014, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by fraz2007
Re: Points -> We earned points on all spend at the hotel including water activities (whale shark, lots of scuba, etc). BTW don't forget to bring some USD to the island for tips for the people working the boats.

Fraz2007
thanks so much!!!
Old May 1, 2014, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
BBQ is already on your deck... no need to rent anything. Don't remember costs for food, but remember it seemed very reasonable and in line with other food costs on the island.

When I was there 3 years ago, I earned points for room/food/beverage. No points for seaplane or diving. I thought it was a little annoying that diving wasn't eligible, but they may have changed it since then.
thanks & excited on the bbq...we plan to do a bbq for one of our meals..
really hope the whole points system has changed & we're eligible to earn points other than food+beverage & room...i mean its an expensive property hope they could throw in something at least
Old May 6, 2014, 11:58 pm

does anyone know if maldives has jet-ski's for rental?? as i can't find any info relating to jet-ski's on this thread nor on w's maldives site.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Any Platinums been here recently, I'm curious about the hotel and recognition if any.

Also any information / details about the hotel would be greatly appreciated ie. food, beach, house reef?

I'm planning a once in a lifetime trip to the Maldives sometime this Oct-December and contemplating staying here at the W just to be spg loyal or whether I should just go with something like the Four Seasons where one would get more at a nicer hotel ( from what I read about the Sheraton Maldives it's not great so ruled the spg hotel out )

My concern is coming all this way for our lifetime dream trip to the Maldives and be disappointed with the W just because I wanted to stay there being a loyal spg..

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and feedback..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.