Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rvlcr
is there no longer a distinction between ocean/lagoon villas like there used to be? recently booked a stay here and didn’t even have the option to book the spectacular lagoon villa. just fabulous overwater oasis. the map on the marriott website says the same, just one type of “standard” OWV.
They do not have that distinction any longer. We had originally booked the Spectacular Lagoon Oasis and the description was changed several months before we went to Fabulous Overwater Oasis like you are seeing. We still ended up on the lagoon side although we may have preferred the ocean side for more privacy.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
thanks for clarifying 84Horn. I'm emailing back and forth with the hotel right now and they appear to be even more confused than i am.... lol. i will be sure to request a room on the lagoon side as the views in my opinion are much better but i do see what youre saying about privacy....
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by bylin2000
Anyone notice that the seaplane transfer fee has increased and reflected in the taxes and fees on upcoming reservations?
I booked a reservation yesterday

At checkout the total was:
  • Total points rate
  • Local Fee
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    1,070.00 USD + 340,000points

They reached out to me explaining that the local fee did NOT include the seaplane transfer and they wanted to charge me $505 per person for it.

I asked to confirm and the "senior reservations agent" said it was not included, so I cancelled my reservation before it became non-refundable.

This seems like they are misinformed to me, can anyone confirm?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by bylin2000
Anyone notice that the seaplane transfer fee has increased and reflected in the taxes and fees on upcoming reservations?
The hotel seems to be confused and are trying to charge again for it, even though it appears to already be paid as a "local fee"

Edit: they finally explained that it was not charged by Marriott upon booking, it was just displayed.

Last edited by AZbba; Jun 24, 2019 at 10:19 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I’m currently at the W Maldives and will post a more in-depth short review nearer the end of my stay. I can confirm the sea plane is displayed on Marriott website to make people aware of the charge but is then added to the room for paying upon check out.

As an ambassador, I have never had such a more welcoming arrival. It probably helps I’m here on my own. All the staff have made the effort to come speak to me. The general manager came and said hello and had an in-depth conversation. I’m on an award stay and was booked in a beach villa but upgraded to an amazing OWV.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, AA PPlat
Did you ask to be upgraded or did the hotel initiate the change? Looking forward to your review.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Minnie Sota
Did you ask to be upgraded or did the hotel initiate the change? Looking forward to your review.
My Ambassador (who is incredibly good) spoke to the hotel without me asking. She must have saw the reservation on my profile and contacted them to ask to upgrade me. My ambassador knows my working region is EMEA so doesn’t cover Maldives so guess she went off this knowing it was a vacation.
Minnie Sota likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:54 am

As a gold, I asked about an upgrade to overwater and was quoted 150/night (185 net). They said golds aren't eligible for complimentary space available upgrades which seems counter to marriott's policies, unless the overwater rooms are all considered suites which I do not believe they are.

Regardless it isn't a bad deal I am tempted to take it. $925 vs 250k points difference for 5 nights in booking the overwater seems like a deal.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by AZbba
As a gold, I asked about an upgrade to overwater and was quoted 150/night (185 net). They said golds aren't eligible for complimentary space available upgrades which seems counter to marriott's policies, unless the overwater rooms are all considered suites which I do not believe they are.

Regardless it isn't a bad deal I am tempted to take it. $925 vs 250k points difference for 5 nights in booking the overwater seems like a deal.
Every room at this hotel is considered a suite, so technically even Platinums, Titaniums, and Ambassadors are not entitled to any sort of upgrade. Though the hotel sometimes goes above and beyond what they are required to do.

Relative to what others have been quoted, $150/night is a pretty cheap rate for the upgrade, which may have to do with demand levels at the time of year when you're staying.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Anyone know if the 30% restaurant promo is still valid for platinum/titanium at the property?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
Anyone know if the 30% restaurant promo is still valid for platinum/titanium at the property?
I believe that was only for month of April. We were there in May and only had standard 20% discount as Platinum.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
...confirmed, at the property now and the f&b discount for platinum/titanium is 20%. Considering the eye watering prices ��, 20% is actually a substantial sum over a 7-14 day stay.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
hopefully they bring back the promo for next march april/again. since taxes/fees in the maldives are 23.2%, the platinum discount essentially cancels out the taxes and service charge (i.e price on the menu is the price you pay).
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by rvlcr
hopefully they bring back the promo for next march april/again. since taxes/fees in the maldives are 23.2%, the platinum discount essentially cancels out the taxes and service charge (i.e price on the menu is the price you pay).
Indeed, because the 23.2% goes on after the 20% comes off, you end up paying about 1.5% less than the menu price.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
...confirmed, at the property now and the f&b discount for platinum/titanium is 20%. Considering the eye watering prices ��, 20% is actually a substantial sum over a 7-14 day stay.
Must have just missed you, I left Sunday Afternoon on what was supposed to be the 1445 Sea Plane. Totally agree, the 20% discount works out to be a good amount of saving over a period of time. Although I do believe you dont get the discount on in Room Dining.

Review to come on this resort as looks like there has not been one for a while

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.