Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT
I arrived yesterday and thought I'd post a few initial impressions--info that I didn't get from prior posts.

I am Plat and we are traveling with friends who are gold. Attached is a picture of the two cards we got (35% for Plat; 25% for Gold) explaining the current promotion. Indeed, last night we billed dinner for 4 to my room and got the 35% at FISH.

Some of my initial observations:

1) Water. We sat down at FISH for dinner and ordered "W tap water"--assuming we were going to get standard filtered water that they leave in glass bottles in your room and in the gym, and elsewhere. It didn't come. Next person who asked about water--we said the same thing. They brought a bottle of Evian. We said we just wanted normal (ie no cost) water. They said, "Sorry, this is all we have." This made me remember a review I had read in which people recommended that you bring your glass W bottles to dinner because otherwise you had to pay the absurd price for water. So I got up, walked to the gym and came back with 4 glass bottles of water. Five minutes later, a waiter came over and removed the bottles. He said, in effect, "We do not allow the glass bottles here and we need to remove them because it is not fair for others who were not allowed to bring bottles." Now to their credit, they voluntarily said they'd comp our Evian (and they continued to bring it, no charge), but ARE THEY SERIOUS? I realize that many restaurants around the world have only bottled water, but not at $12 (or more--I don't actually know the price) a bottle. We know how important it is to drink water and stay hydrated...so why are they forcing us to BUY their water at dinner?! At breakfast, they serve a different brand of bottled water and don't charge, FWIW. This whole policy seems shortsighted and foolish.

2) Snack stations. I understand these used to have ice cream and now they have apples, towels, and ice machine and some sort of sugar drink. The drink (pina colada, although I understand they change from time to time) is very tasty, but no water? Seriously? Guests need to stay hydrated but getting water is near impossible around the resort. And same for sunscreen. So far as I can tell there is one sunscreen dispenser at the pool, but nowhere else. How hard is it to keep sunscreen at snack stations?

3) Snacks, part 2. As others have noted, granola bars, popsicles and ice cream bars are available at the pool at 10, 1 and 4, respectively. I went at 2pm and was able to get a popsicle and saw a bowl of granola bars as well, so presumably, there is some flexibility as to time.

4) Reservations. There seems to be a bizarre undercurrent regarding dinner reservations, which I just don't get. We wanted to make a reservation at 6:30pm for FISH. We were told, sorry, earliest available is 8pm. We lamented a bit and 30 mins later by WhatsApp, they said they had 6:30pm. Great. Made the reservation. Went and between the time we ate and left, the restaurant was half empty. Today, we tried to make a reservation for 7pm at FIRE. They offered 6:30 and 7:30. Seriously? There are literally 2 restaurants available. It is 10am and you can't accommodate us at 7pm tonight?

5) Traffic. Others on TA have .....ed and moaned about the golf carts and bikes traversing the narrow walkways leading to the OWVs. Indeed, this is bad planning and a PIA to dodge them. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying.

6) Kids. I have kids. The people we're traveling with have kids. We didn't bring them. For that reason, it was particularly annoying to be sitting next to a large Chinese family who allowed their kids to watch movies at full volume on their phone at dinner, outside, in an otherwise beautiful, serene environment. Use headphones, people. Or, better yet, have some common sense and sense of courtesy.

OK, so now that you've made it through the venting, let me just say--this place is really beautiful. The rooms are great. The staff is great. The clear water and sea life are spectacular. I cannot compare the snorkeling with the St Regis or anywhere else in the Maldives, but I have seen all sorts of life just walking around the resort (sharks, rays, jumping schools of fish and more). The outdoor space at the OWVs is really nice. Pool water is warm. And the jets in the pool are a nice feature. I also just managed to figure out how to use the Bose system. Separate remotes to get music to the outside speakers and inside speakers. Pretty cool and fun (although one obnoxious neighbor could blast music you don't like and be annoying, I suppose).

Hope this helps.
gba, Furyleader and MrM2016 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Thanks for the review ^^.

I’m curious how (1) the water situation pans out for you. I almost exclusively drink water during all of my meals, so having access to that is something I literally take for granted. I’m the type of person who always carries a water bottle with me at all times.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:30 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Great review, I look forward to hearing any other observations you have from your stay!​ ​​​​​​Are you on a points redemption? Are there any other noteworthy Titanium perks beyond the F&B discount?

It seems that recent reviews here and on TA have suggested food quality isn't great, what's your perception?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT
Some additional observations and answers to questions above:

I am here on points; 85k/nt, 5th night free, OWV.

I don't have any additional visibility into the water-at-dinner problem. After posting last, we ate at FIRE and didn't pay for water, but that was after we brought bottled water to dinner again. We didn't bring the W water, but Aqua Panna that had been delivered to our room. There was confusion as to whether the water was delivered for us to bring to the restaurant, which was clearly wishful thinking, because they took it away. They also took away (or, more accurately, poured into glasses after telling us it was prohibited) the pina colada drinks we brought to dinner (which came from the 'refresh stations'). Sigh. Last night, we went to Kitchen and did $12 for a bottle of water. We were just worn down and not willing to protest. This water thing is an issue waiting to be resolved. It is just not sustainable.

Food is definitely hit or miss, but nothing is bad. The variety at breakfast is good. It's not fantastic food, but it's not horrible, either. The best deal so far was SIP after 7pm. 2-for-1 drinks and the raw section is a good value considering what we pay for sushi at home. Sushi platter is something like $46, for example. Four of us had a drink, shared a sushi platter and two more items from the raw menu...after 35% discount total was <$100 for 4. (We then went to Kitchen and spent another $130, but still, $230 for 4 for dinner is less than I expected...and a lot less than what we'd have paid on FB or HB.) Bottom line is this: We didn't come here expecting gourmet cuisine. And frankly, if the food were the best I'd ever had, I'd go broke paying for it. So it cuts both ways--food isn't great, so you don't need to break the bank paying for it.

We are looking forward to the local buffet dinner Tuesday night; the menu for that looks terrific and the price is reasonable, all things considered.

I am Platinum, so I can't comment on benefits for Titanium, but I think the 35% is the largest discount you're going to see and I don't know how long it will last.

Also, for those who are interested, when we ate at Kitchen last night, they gave us a menu of discounted wines by the bottle. Indeed, comparing to the "normal" menu, the discounts were pretty decent. A bottle of Dom was $340, down from $600. A bottle of Sauternes was $70 down from $120. This wasn't our cup of tea, but I looked out of curiosity and that's what I remember.

As I ended the last round of comments, I will end this one the same. The snorkeling here is SPECTACULAR. The water is calm. The visibility is insane. I am not a diver, but our friend had scheduled a dive and canceled it after experiencing the snorkeling. I just cannot describe how vibrant, colorful, plentiful the sea life is. Sharks circle the water below FISH; you can literally stand out there at night and look down into the lit water below and see reef sharks circling nonstop. I have snorkeled in the Galapagos and the Great Barrier Reef, as well as in Hawaii, among other places. Each is special in its own way, but I have never been this close to so many varieties of tropical fish. It sounds cliche, but it is like swimming through an aquarium. There is a very good reason why the W is proud of its house reef. It's amazing.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:53 pm

wow , I can't believe they're now banning people on bringing in their own bottles of water or even provide a tap water in glass.

I will be traveling in April with older parents and 2 toddlers whom will drink nothing else but plain water in between meals , for wife and I maybe ice tea could cover this, but again this is necessity for some people, I can't believe they could just make u purchase water out of no choice. Perhaps a complain to the GM will bring attention to the matter ?

if possible , do ask if the 35 or 25 will offer will last till, hoping still will be valid during our trip. thanks in advance.

keep us posted on water crisis
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Honestly I don’t know what kind of water crisis people are whining about. You have 4x0.5l+1l bottles in the rooms to start with. There’s housekeeping twice a day when they replace the empty bottles. Asking them to change/get extra bottles also works, and (not sure if it’s because Titanium) so far every day we’ve gotten a bottle of extra mineral water as well.

Is the unfolding drama really about that $12 you spend on a bottle of Evian while eating in the restaurants?
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:40 am

We just finished a week-long stay at the W. Couple of comments:

- eating and drinking was surprisingly... well not cheap, but not really much more expensive then going out in our home town. Lots of promos and discounts every night, two for one drinks every nite, -25% for all food. we ate and drank in the restaurants every nite and spent around 1000 usd between the two of us in a week, including breakfast buffet every morning. Then again we’re not big drinkers nor eaters.

- what was annoying was that the service was bit of a mess. I think we got the correct restaurant bill once or twice during the whole week! We had a confirmed reservation to Fire restaurant for my wife’s birthday evening but nobody remembered to tell us that Fire was closed that evening. I guess I should have studied the restaurant schedule myself.

- the snorkeling and the house reef is amazing. We saw tens of rays in all colors and sizes, half a dozen turtles, octopus, lots of sharks in many sizes and of course more fish you can shake a stick at. There are more alive corals than at Conrad, for example.

We had a great time, all and all.

Last edited by _fly_; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:25 pm

u paid for the breakfast? how much per person?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

yes, we paid for the breakfast as I am Marriott Gold only and it was the only restaurant expense the discounts did not apply to. I think it was 41 or 42 USD tax etc. included per person.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:44 am

Where did you see most of the rays and turtles? Was there a best time of day for you to see them as well?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by kjc313
Where did you see most of the rays and turtles? Was there a best time of day for you to see them as well?
Early morning was the best time in my experience, but we saw quite many during the day also. Location-wise around the overwater villas, you could simply sit at your deck and watch the rays swim by and hop in to swim with them if you wished. There was one huge and couple smaller rays that seemed to hang around the villas and under the pathways most of the time. Other good locations for rays were certain sand bottom areas near the shore, where they seem to dig into the sand. You start to see ray-shaped markings in the sand and then you know you're getting warm.

Also around the Kitchen restaurant and Sip bar we saw rays multiple times. The caveat is, there is also a lot of sharks in there, which might or might not make you feel a bit uneasy in the water.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by _fly_
yes, we paid for the breakfast as I am Marriott Gold only and it was the only restaurant expense the discounts did not apply to. I think it was 41 or 42 USD tax etc. included per person.
Curious if anyone has had luck in getting them to honor the free breakfast they used to advertise? For those who made a reservation at the time this was offered, it seems appropriate that they would grandfather people in.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by GoZags
Curious if anyone has had luck in getting them to honor the free breakfast they used to advertise? For those who made a reservation at the time this was offered, it seems appropriate that they would grandfather people in.
All the cash rates include breakfast - there were exactly two tables every morning that paid for breakfast, they had the invoices printed out on the cash register, and there was two of them every morning, one of which was ours.

I was not aware of any such advertising so I would not know and I didn't even know to ask.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by kjc313
Oh yeah the turtles are super easy - 4-5 of them can be found spread across the "better" side of the reef, you pretty much find them there every day. During low tide they do go a bit deeper down the reef drop, but they are still there. Of course I speak only from experience gathered during one week and maybe 10-15 snorkeling rounds.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by _fly_
All the cash rates include breakfast - there were exactly two tables every morning that paid for breakfast, they had the invoices printed out on the cash register, and there was two of them every morning, one of which was ours.

I was not aware of any such advertising so I would not know and I didn't even know to ask.
Do you know if it's possible to book cash rates without breakfast, one would assume if not that breakfast would have to be included on all award stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.