FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Maldives [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/844323-w-maldives-master-thread.html)

zakami Nov 18, 2007 1:17 pm

I am not from NYC, but have been to the Maldvies a few times. I would recommend Emirates airlines. You can fly JFK-DXB-MLE. Unfortunately, the most convenient options is only available 1 or 2 times a week and you may have to do JFK-HAM-DXB-MLE. Another decent option but with not as convenient connections is Qatar Airways. For the cheapest option, you could do whatever to LHR and then Sri Lankan Air from LHR to MLE. Let me know if you have other questions. Never been to the W though.

adamak Jan 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Can someone describe the BBQ station is in each villa? Where do you buy the meat?
I think this thread needs to be re-started. The first 10 pages are irrelevant(when will it open, how much, what cat...etc).

scaplan Jan 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by adamak (Post 9043349)
Can someone describe the BBQ station is in each villa? Where do you buy the meat?
I think this thread needs to be re-started. The first 10 pages are irrelevant(when will it open, how much, what cat...etc).

I think it might be for the fish that you catch...I'll be there next week and can report back then.

Can anyone comment on the gym at the resort? plenty of machines?

BobbySteel Jan 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Yes, I'd love to hear more experiences. Debating whether to do a stay of 3 nights points/3 nights cash versus 6 nights cash at some other place like the Soneva...

Thanks!

d00t Jan 28, 2008 4:05 am

Anyone have some experiences of this property? I'm about to book (pending more reviews) a 4night stay there.

DCF Jan 28, 2008 5:41 am

Unless you're American, or a gay 28-35 year old (see other posters comments on previous page) go to the St Regis or Bora Bora Nui on Bora Bora instead. They are better properties on a far more beautiful island, and they don't just appeal to the Paris Hilton / Britney Spears end of the market in the way W Maldives does.

tfung Jan 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by adamak (Post 9043349)

The BBQ station is basically just a foreman grill on your deck or outdoor area of your villa... You order the meat and other items from room service menu..

trach500 Jan 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 9083085)
Yes, I'd love to hear more experiences. Debating whether to do a stay of 3 nights points/3 nights cash versus 6 nights cash at some other place like the Soneva...

Thanks!

anybody use cash and points here? just curious as to what the difference is. ive noticed rooms are 2450/night in high season, 3250 on the water.

KosherKimchee Jan 29, 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by trach500 (Post 9155901)
anybody use cash and points here? just curious as to what the difference is. ive noticed rooms are 2450/night in high season, 3250 on the water.

C&P on a Cat 7? I dont think so.

rolov Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by d00t (Post 9147081)
Anyone have some experiences of this property? I'm about to book (pending more reviews) a 4night stay there.

I have never stayed at the W Maldives , but I have been to the Maldives the last 3 years on surf trips in July-August, and it rained only at night
and maybe a quick shower during 1 day or 2.
Im thinking maybe next summer when i go with the gf , we may take the flight from MLE and spend a night or two there before flying home.

scaplan Feb 1, 2008 8:54 am

Best starwood experience ever at W Retreat & Spa Maldives

Originally Posted by d00t (Post 9147081)

Well we got back last week from what was the overall best vacation of our lives. The W Maldives property is gorgeous, you cannot beat it - it is its own island in the middle of the Indian Ocean in the island Republic of the Maldives. The resort island sits on a coral reef atoll, with the dock of the over water bungalows bordering the other side. While I have never stayed in any other over water bungalows before, I am confident this room cannot be beat. The indoor and outdoor space seems to exceed what i've seen on some of the bora bora property sites. Only 87 rooms I believe, and they strive to never go above 75% occupancy. While the island and dock isn't huge, because of how few other guests there are, and how spread out everything is, you get the sense that it is truly a private island for you and...whomever. The food in incredible. There are three different restaurants on the island, but the pool area also has food servers and a full menu from one of the three kitchens. There are also multiple bars and a pretty cool lounge/club with an amazing selection of vodkas from around the world. Every morning begins with an included breakfast buffet with every type of world breakfast food imaginable, hot and cold, made to order - quite the way to start the day.

W Retreat & Spa offers loads of daily activities and excursions. Diving trips, snorkeling, all varieties of motor and hand powered boating, etc... If you ever didn't want to just relax on your gigantic private deck on the Indian Ocean with your own plunge pool, there are almost too many activities to choose from. They have a library with a couple of iMacs for internet, a DVD, CD and book collection that you can borrow, billiards, foosball, and a great work out facility. We did a day trip to a local island and a fishing trip. We caught some red snappers that the chefs cooked up for us in one of the restaurants that evening for dinner.

There are 200+ staff on the island. When we arrived there were only ~25 units occupied, so the staff:guest ratio was 4:1!! The staff are top notch, the type of personal custom service that could put Ritz and Four Seasons to shame. Never have I seen a staff so wanting to go above and beyond for their guests. The GM makes a point to greet and meet all of the guests.

It is not easy to get to the Maldives from the US (we had to fly through Germany and Dubai), so most of the guests were coming from Europe and Asia. It was well worth the near 2 days of travel to get there.

Bottom line: the level of service at this property, the facilities and the location are unbeatable if you can finesse the transportation to the Male.

broadwayblue Feb 1, 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by scaplan (Post 9173565)
Well we got back last week from what was the overall best vacation of our lives.

Nice review. Do you have any idea how the food costs compare to bora bora or other exclusive locales? Put another way, is a BLT $30?

BlissWorld Feb 1, 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by scaplan (Post 9173565)
The staff are top notch, the type of personal custom service that could put Ritz and Four Seasons to shame...

Not at the Four Seaons in Maldives or Bora Bora ;)

Well, for 90,000 starpoints (and that's just for standard beach bungalow, overwater is even more) or $2000 a night, I'd expect the service to be exceptional ;)

scaplan Feb 1, 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 9173942)
Nice review. Do you have any idea how the food costs compare to bora bora or other exclusive locales? Put another way, is a BLT $30?

Food wasn't cheap, but wasn't outrageous either. Breakfast is included every day, our lunches averaged ~$20 a person and dinner at FISH our average entree price was $25, and dinner at FIRE was a fixed $65 all you can eat grill. The rooms also have pretty well stocked mini bars, full wine fridges with ~12 different bottles, and a nice selection of snack food as well. They actually offered to stock our room with whatever type of snack foods we prefer.

broadwayblue Feb 1, 2008 10:35 am

Originally Posted by scaplan (Post 9174154)
Food wasn't cheap, but wasn't outrageous either. Breakfast is included every day, our lunches averaged ~$20 a person and dinner at FISH our average entree price was $25, and dinner at FIRE was a fixed $65 all you can eat grill. The rooms also have pretty well stocked mini bars, full wine fridges with ~12 different bottles, and a nice selection of snack food as well. They actually offered to stock our room with whatever type of snack foods we prefer.

Thanks...that actually sounds reasonable considering.