FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Maldives [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/844323-w-maldives-master-thread.html)

BMK Nov 21, 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback (Post 17490396)
Has anyone had experiences with the Full Board option? Any opinions?

Also, how ridiculous are bar prices- say for simple things like a bottle of beer/glass of wine or a vodka soda?

Hi there -I just got back from the W Maldives on Saturday after 9 nights there for my honeymoon.

A beer is $12 plus tax and service. They had Asahi, Corona, Tiger and one other.

I didn't drink any spirits but I had a glass of wine one night and I think it was $18 - something like that.

Will try and post a better review later but please fire any questions my way in the meantime.

jaejaez Nov 24, 2011 10:18 am

Question for anyone who's been here:

Did you guys book through spg.com?
This property is shocking in a way that its rates are so much more expensive on the SPG.com than thru travel agencies.

I also hear that those who book through 3rd party travel agencies are more likely to get upgrades than platinums. There're plenty confessions of ppl having been upgraded from ocean view --> lagoon view that booked thru 3rd party travel agencies... but it seems from this thread that plats had little love in relation to upgrades of any sort!

:confused:

muntz73 Nov 24, 2011 7:30 pm

I am typing this from the W Maldives.

I was speaking to the GM and in conversation he said that 3rd party bookers do not get SPG points. Consider that when you book as the value of the points may weigh in your decision. Especially with double/trip point promotions, etc.

I was expecting sticker shock for the bar and was pleasantly surprised. Finlandia, Sky, and Absolut Vodka drinks are only $9. Kettle One is $12 and Grey Goose is $14. These are the same prices as W hotels in the states.

Food is pricey but very good. The chef actually prepared a Thanksgiving dinner last night that was $150/couple. It was very good food and well prepared and presented.

As for upgrades, I booked the cheapest room. I'm a Platinum and I may have hit the upgrade lottery as I was put in room 301 which is the 2nd largest room on the property. It is a 3000 s.f. 2 bedroom 2.5 bath suite. It is amazing.

The people are very friendly and you get the genuine sense they care about you.

No mistake about it, this place is expensive and isn't easy to get to. But after seeing small sharks and stingrays right next to our room and waking up to crystal blue water it is definitely worth it.

The ice cream and drink stations are very cool. I must say after coming from the Sheraton Maldives which is very bland and food and beverage is more expensive that it is hard not to have a "free" coke from the station where it would normally charge you $5.

One travel note to pass along. If you are transiting through Colombo like we did the connection times don't really synch well. We had a 6 hour layover between flights. You can't go to gate area early and you are forced to sit in what is really 3rd world conditions. They waiting area was packed full as there were probably 200 people in our same boat. After checking in I learned that Sri Lankan Airlines has a very nice transit hotel that you can use for for $46 for 6 hours that is right above the gates. If you come in on another airline you don't even need to go through customs. Just have your bags tagged to your final destination from your original carrier and you can enjoy the hotel room. I ASSURE you this is money well spent. We will be using it on our 6 hour layover on our return.

BMK Nov 28, 2011 9:05 am

Wowzers - you really did hit the upgrade lottery jackpot there!

I had a standard Beach Bungalow and loved it - was all we needed.

And I definitely agree with you about the staff - super friendly and helpful.

HOTguy Nov 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Muntz - If i recall, 301 is the huge overwater 2 bedroom suite at the end of the pier to the right, next to the ice cream hut, if it is, nice job man, you struck gold, we stayed there for 8 nights and I will never forget it. If you ever meet Sandton, the bartender, tip him well, terrific guy.

jp83 Feb 16, 2012 5:58 am

Hey guys,

quick question. I'm going to be at the W six weeks from now and was just wondering: do you wear shoes to breakfast / dinner? I read about some islands in the Maldives that are all about the barefoot experience, but since the W is such a nice and stylish property, I'm not so sure ;).

Thanks in advance,
jp

LovetoTravel83 Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jp83 (Post 18025939)
Hey guys,

quick question. I'm going to be at the W six weeks from now and was just wondering: do you wear shoes to breakfast / dinner? I read about some islands in the Maldives that are all about the barefoot experience, but since the W is such a nice and stylish property, I'm not so sure ;).

Thanks in advance,
jp

I never wore shoes/sandals in any of the Maldives properties including the W.

jp83 Feb 17, 2012 3:48 am

Thanks, lovetotravel!
Won't pack a lot of shoes then ;)

Peatisback Feb 17, 2012 6:53 am

How about pants?

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 18030543)
I never wore shoes/sandals in any of the Maldives properties including the W.

LovetoTravel83 Feb 17, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Peatisback (Post 18032876)
How about pants?

I won't go that far unless it was about a big bet :D.

Peatisback Feb 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 18033106)
I won't go that far unless it was about a big bet :D.

Lol. I should be more clear- do people wear pants to dinner etc. or are shorts acceptable all the time?

LovetoTravel83 Feb 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Peatisback (Post 18036772)
Lol. I should be more clear- do people wear pants to dinner etc. or are shorts acceptable all the time?

Oh no, shorts all the time but maybe some are wearing pants, I never wore pants at the resort.

schley Feb 18, 2012 12:11 pm

ugh I have 2 rooms booked on cash and points in March. I'm a plat and another friend is as well. I was going to hold out and hope for both being upgraded to OWB but after negotiating with the property they have agreed to upgrade both rooms in advance for $250 each per night. We don't want to go that far and not get the OWB, so we shelled out the extra cash.

I was told that the complimentary continental breakfast is actually a full breakfast buffet served in the restaurant. ^

ps9a Feb 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by schley (Post 18040209)
ugh I have 2 rooms booked on cash and points in March. ^

Cash and points? How did you get that at the W Maldives?

heatherita Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Using points

Hi
I am also wondering about points.

I am hoping to stay at the W Maldives next year and I have enough points according to my starwood points tracker but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

How far in advance do you typically need to book if you are using points and how many points is for a weeknight typically?