Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by stc
Thanks. I guess I missed that detail. Still given the rundown condition of the hotel and the lack of any real upgrades, I am more likely to stay at the Marriott or Sheraton Skypline at LHR in the future.
first and last time I stayed at the lhr renaissance I found bed bugs. Ran out of the room.

That hotel is on my banned list
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat Premier
Thanks to all on the forum for your help with our family trip to London in April. We decided we want to stay close to the city and we need a room with double beds (family of 4), so we've narrowed down on our choices to four hotels (using points). Ideally, we'd want a lounge, but breakfast for PP will work as well...and we want to be in a good neighborhood. So, we're considering the following options:

St. Ermins, Marriott Grosvenor Square, Marriott Marble Arch, and Bankside (new hotel)

If anyone has a recommendation out of these four, that would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:15 pm

Go for grosvnor sq. st ermins rooms are tiny, broom closet tiny

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mainline777
In the past couple of years have stayed at the following properties - just wanted to give a comparison for each.

Wellesley Knightsbridge (Luxury Collection):
  • Positives: Great location for tourists and a brisk walk to my office. Stayed twice - once upgraded to a suite, the second time sold out so got a standard king room. The rooms are beautiful, with a full marble bathroom and Hermes toiletries even in the standard room (I was in a suite the first time and thought it might have been a suite-only thing, as I had that at the Hotel President Wilson in Geneva, but no it's in all rooms). The owner put a lot of money into the property, with the cigar room, a very upscale bar, etc.
  • Negatives: I thought the standard room was very small, even for London, and probably wouldn't stay again when occupancy is so high and an upgrade is unlikely. I also thought the continental platinum breakfast was quite poor. The breads tasted stale, and the selection is very small. They're clearly staying within the strict definitions of the free breakfast and that's all. Overall, hotel probably not worth the premium to me once it goes up to Category 8. You also have to be careful not to get booked into the Queen Accessible room available on points, as it looks tiny and not up to the standard of the other rooms.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
  • Positives: Formerly quite the dog, was renovated in the past few years and it shows. Also good location. I loved the amount of space even in a non-suite room (honestly not sure if I had a upgraded room or a standard). Nice new bathrooms. Only briefly went into the lounge outside of a meal time, and thought it was OK but nothing particularly special.
  • Negatives: None in particular. Would return here.
Le Meridien Piccadilly
  • Positives: I have stayed here several times, and I actually love that the hotel is old and has many different room types. They all are quite large and it's kind of fun having non-traditional rooms and not knowing exactly what you're going to get when you walk in (though there's a negative, see below). Location on Piccadilly is good if you're a tourist. Even if you're not, it's just off the main area, so isn't actually loud at all.
  • Negatives: Hotel needs a renovation. Rooms are definitely looking tired. Lounge had a great afternoon tea but was mobbed most times I was there (very small and just above the lobby).
W Leicester Square
  • Pros: None in particular. Bliss products?
  • Negatives: My least favorite in London (and there are plenty of other W's I like). Tiny rooms, with the style that a few other W's have with the bathroom sink in the bedroom, and a tiny closet for a toilet and another for a shower. Hotel was constantly jammed with people at the bar and club and I had to show my room card to even get into the lobby.
Seems like the Marriott Park Lane has good reviews and is likely to be the next one I try.
Thanks for the comparisons! Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Go for grosvnor sq. st ermins rooms are tiny, broom closet tiny

Not the family rooms. I actually found GS rooms to be tiny. I'm not sure GS has family rooms. Marble Arch also has family rooms.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:27 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
first and last time I stayed at the lhr renaissance I found bed bugs. Ran out of the room.

I hadn't had that problem but thanks for the heads up. That is another good reason to avoid the LHR Ren.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by traub9556
Thanks to all on the forum for your help with our family trip to London in April. We decided we want to stay close to the city and we need a room with double beds (family of 4), so we've narrowed down on our choices to four hotels (using points). Ideally, we'd want a lounge, but breakfast for PP will work as well...and we want to be in a good neighborhood. So, we're considering the following options:

St. Ermins, Marriott Grosvenor Square, Marriott Marble Arch, and Bankside (new hotel)

If anyone has a recommendation out of these four, that would be most appreciated! Thanks!
If you want a lounge and a room big enough for 4 people, you should stay at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. Assuming you're using points. I If so, both the J.W. Marriott and the Marriott Grosvenor Square are category 7 award-redemption properties. So, if it's the same amount of points per night you might as well stay at the J.W. Marriott.

How many nights? I ask because another option is the Residence Inn London Bridge, which is cheaper, both on cash and points. It might be nice cooking some meals with food you buy at markets, like nearby Borough Market in Southwark.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you want a lounge and a room big enough for 4 people, you should stay at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. Assuming you're using points. I If so, both the J.W. Marriott and the Marriott Grosvenor Square are category 7 award-redemption properties. So, if it's the same amount of points per night you might as well stay at the J.W. Marriott.

How many nights? I ask because another option is the Residence Inn London Bridge, which is cheaper, both on cash and points. It might be nice cooking some meals with food you buy at markets, like nearby Borough Market in Southwark.
The JW GH sometimes counts how many people are accessing the lounge and the lounge desk attendant may ask for room details -- not always, not most of the time, but at least sometimes. And it seems to happen more often to families with children in tow than to others. The JW GH has a lot of rather large rooms that should easily be able to accommodate 2 adults + 2 pre-teen children or 2 adults + 1 or 2 teens.
traub9556 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The JW GH sometimes counts how many people are accessing the lounge and the lounge desk attendant may ask for room details -- not always, not most of the time, but at least sometimes. And it seems to happen more often to families with children in tow than to others. The JW GH has a lot of rather large rooms that should easily be able to accommodate 2 adults + 2 pre-teen children or 2 adults + 1 or 2 teens.
Even if they stick to the rules, one parent goes to the lounge with one child at a time. When they leave, the other parent and child go. Easy.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even if they stick to the rules, one parent goes to the lounge with one child at a time. When they leave, the other parent and child go. Easy.
At least one of the lounge attendants there has been quick enough to identify the shenanigans of shuffling visitors from a given room number. While it may work often, it's less likely to work during breakfast than at other times of the day. Just my experience from observations at this hotel's lounge on more than one trip when school is out for the weekend/season.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At least one of the lounge attendants there has been quick enough to identify the shenanigans of shuffling visitors from a given room number. While it may work often, it's less likely to work during breakfast than at other times of the day. Just my experience from observations at this hotel's lounge on more than one trip when school is out for the weekend/season.
I think it also depends on how old the kids are. If they're teenagers then obviously it's an issue.

As far as I know, there is no rule about bringing multiple guests in and out. If I meet John and bring him in and then John leaves and Suzy comes, that's permissible. I've done it when I have business colleagues come over for a "free" coffee or "free" breakfast.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:51 am

Hi - thanks for the info. We're planning for 4 nights. I checked the JW Marriott GH for the dates we're going in April and they didn't seem to have any rooms available for 4 people?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by traub9556
Hi - thanks for the info. We're planning for 4 nights. I checked the JW Marriott GH for the dates we're going in April and they didn't seem to have any rooms available for 4 people?
One of your perks as platinum premier is guaranteed room availability on a cash rate with 48 hours notice.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Originally Posted by stc
I hadn't had that problem but thanks for the heads up. That is another good reason to avoid the LHR Ren.
It would be good to know when the experience w/ bed begs was - a decade ago, last year, last month, last week. I've stayed at the LHR many, many times & never encountered the problem. It's still on my list of places to stay if I have an early morning flight or doing a mileage run or need an inexpensive London hotel & am willing to take the tube into town.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It would be good to know when the experience w/ bed begs was - a decade ago, last year, last month, last week. I've stayed at the LHR many, many times & never encountered the problem. It's still on my list of places to stay if I have an early morning flight or doing a mileage run or need an inexpensive London hotel & am willing to take the tube into town.

Cheers.
jan 2017

I always lift up sheets and the pillow top if a bed has one. The first room was covered in bugs. Second room was fine. But the bugs plus what wasn’t a great experience as a whole will have me seeking accommodations elsewhere. I’d rather a Heathrow express trip and in town hotel than this hotel again

Last edited by Nuhusky; Jan 11, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

One of your perks as platinum premier is guaranteed room availability on a cash rate with 48 hours notice.
OK, we're planning to book on points and I didn't see any rooms for 4 people under points unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.