Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:11 am

London - Edition, Park Lane or JW Grosvenor?

I know this is a very subjective question but I’m trying to decided between The London Edition, the Marriott Park Lane, or the JW Grosvenor. I’ll be using points for a two night stay in June and am a Gold so I’ll have lounge access for Park Lane and JW Grosvenor. I’ve read all the individual threads and am still at a lose.

We have never been to London and this is a quick stopover on our way back home to the U.S. Which of the above would be in the best location to access London’s sites and the tube? And of course is the nicest? I know I'm asking a loaded question! I’m a little reluctant about the JW Grosvenor because I don’t want to get stuck with room that hasn’t been renovated. Does anyone know if the renovations will be done by June? Is the Edition worth the cost in points?

I considered the Country Hall but it seems to be in too much of a “touristy” location for us. The photos with crowds all around are a bit much! I’ve ruled out the St. Ermin’s because I’m not crazy about the room decor.

Any advice or insights would be appreciated!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by Danegal
I know this is a very subjective question but I’m trying to decided between The London Edition, the Marriott Park Lane, or the JW Grosvenor. I’ll be using points for a two night stay in June and am a Gold so I’ll have lounge access for Park Lane and JW Grosvenor. I’ve read all the individual threads and am still at a lose.
The JW Grosvenor House is a great hotel itself with nice (if often busy) lounge. The last time I was there, besides the usual lounge fare (nicer than most properties) they also served a fine complimentary afternoon tea. There's a bit of a walk to the tube, but a pretty typical distance when getting around London.

Don't necessarily count out the County Hall location. I did the same for a number of years for the same reason, but now I'm happy to stay there when I'm in London on short holiday visits. While there are throngs of people outside along the Thames, the entrance to the hotel is around the corner and once you're inside you feel quite removed from the touristy-ness of London -- except that is (if you're lucky) for the amazing views of the Thames and Westminster. For a first and short visit to London, there's a lot be said for being centrally located. While London's public transit is great, it's nice to be able to just walk across one bridge and be at the Houses of Parliament or across another and be a few blocks from Leicester Square and the theater district.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thank you for the reply! I'll reconsider the Country Hall, it is good to know that the entrance is around the corner and once inside you don't feel overwhelmed by all the people.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thank you for the reply! I'll reconsider the Country Hall, it is good to know that the entrance is around the corner and once inside you don't feel overwhelmed by all the people.
If the lounge is a must then you'll be disappointed by County Hall unless they change their lounge offerings by June. You can get two meals a day out of the J.W. Marriott, plus decent alcohol. The County Hall has similar alcohol offerings, but the food is pathetic. The service is a good star or two stars below the J.W.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:12 pm

Thank you for the insight into the lounge offerings at the J.W. vs. Country Hall. Is the hard product of the rooms superior at the J.W. Grosvenor to the Country Hall? Especially if you get a renovated room at the J.W.?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thank you for the insight into the lounge offerings at the J.W. vs. Country Hall. Is the hard product of the rooms superior at the J.W. Grosvenor to the Country Hall? Especially if you get a renovated room at the J.W.?
I wouldn't say superior because the renovations at the Marriott County Hall basically gutted the rooms whereas the renovations at the J.W. Marriott involve new paint, furniture, etc. Things like electrical outlets are still sparse. However, the service is a good star or two better at the J.W. Marriott. Housekeeping at the Marriott County Hall is outsourced to a third-party company and, as a result, is very inconsistent. The staff told me housekeeping is the biggest complaint. Also, the Marriott County Hall has been experiencing a rodent infestation, again according to staff. I saw a mouse in the lounge.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wouldn't say superior because the renovations at the Marriott County Hall basically gutted the rooms whereas the renovations at the J.W. Marriott involve new paint, furniture, etc. Things like electrical outlets are still sparse. However, the service is a good star or two better at the J.W. Marriott. Housekeeping at the Marriott County Hall is outsourced to a third-party company and, as a result, is very inconsistent. The staff told me housekeeping is the biggest complaint. Also, the Marriott County Hall has been experiencing a rodent infestation, again according to staff. I saw a mouse in the lounge.

The rodent infestation just made the decision easy for me. I'll be booking the J.W. Marriott! Thank you for the insight.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Best Marriott in London

Any recommendation for the best Marriott to stay in London?
Prefer proximity to Soho and good treatment of Gold members!
Budget around 400eur per night.

These came up in a quick search:
London Marriott Hotel County Hall
St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
The London EDITION
London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Grand Residences by Marriott - Mayfair-London
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vd0t
Any recommendation for the best Marriott to stay in London?
Prefer proximity to Soho and good treatment of Gold members!
Budget around 400eur per night.

These came up in a quick search:
London Marriott Hotel County Hall
St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
The London EDITION
London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Grand Residences by Marriott - Mayfair-London
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
This is a good resource, but I'll answer the original poster here. I think the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House is the best value in London for those redeeming points because it is the most luxurious outside of maybe The Edition. The lounge and guest relations staff are excellent. The only issue is not all of the rooms are renovated yet, but as a gold-elite you should be able to get a renovated room.

If you want to save some money and rack up points, consider the Marriott Maida Vale. I've seen paid rates under 175 pounds per night that come with 10,000 bonus points.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is a good resource, but I'll answer the original poster here. I think the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House is the best value in London for those redeeming points because it is the most luxurious outside of maybe The Edition. The lounge and guest relations staff are excellent. The only issue is not all of the rooms are renovated yet, but as a gold-elite you should be able to get a renovated room.

If you want to save some money and rack up points, consider the Marriott Maida Vale. I've seen paid rates under 175 pounds per night that come with 10,000 bonus points.
Thank you that's very helpful!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:48 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
A cousin and his +1 are traveling to London, and had a (rather specific!) question for me, which i could not answer. So seeking some help:

Purely from a lounge offerings perspective - which is better: JW GH or the Park Lane Marriott?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The Park Lane lounge isn't anything to write home about, so if the lounge is a major factor, the GH is certainly better.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
The Park Lane lounge isn't anything to write home about, so if the lounge is a major factor, the GH is certainly better.
I haven't stayed at the Marriott Park Lane so I'll take your word for it. I have repeatedly stayed at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House. As of November, the wine was no longer champagne but Spanish cava sparkling wine. The other wines, both red and white, were a little bit of a downgrade from past years but the bar remains self-serve. The staff has never said anything if you bring an entire bottle to your table. The food offerings are enough to replace a meal, although likely by design there aren't enough tables that are comfortable to sit and eat a meal from as most of the tables are coffee tables. Still, you could easily go to London and not spend a penny on food and drinks, if you were fine with eating breakfast and dinner in the executive lounge. My only complaint about the food and beverage offerings, besides the average wine selection, is the coffee. It's bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.