Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm confused. You mention Grosvenor Square & JW. They're 2 different hotels. Which one are you staying at?
BLAKETRAVELER asked for a comparison of the JW and the Grosvenor Square. Whilst my negative impression of the Grosvenor Square is very recent, my not negative memory of the JW Grosvenor House may be sligtly dated.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PaxCGN
BLAKETRAVELER asked for a comparison of the JW and the Grosvenor Square. Whilst my negative impression of the Grosvenor Square is very recent, my not negative memory of the JW Grosvenor House may be sligtly dated.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Didn't catch that.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:31 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
EDIT: I spoke too soon. The ibis Earl's Court is available for GBP 127. Turns out I'll be staying there. What a total let-down.
The ibis wasn't terrible. About what you'd expect from an ibis. Definitely manageable.

I ended up with one extra day in London without an early morning, so I decided to try out the Courtyard at Gatwick. Way better than expected. Platinum upgrade to a "junior suite", which was really just a larger version of the regular room but nice nonetheless (and it looks like they do have some even larger versions of the junior suite, depending on the draw.)

Everything clean and modern, very nice reception, and a full breakfast buffet for around GBP 13.

It's walkable from the South terminal, about 15 minutes on a fully signed path, tho at night I think I'd take the GBP 3 shuttle bus option. Just a little bit creepy of a walk.

Based on this stay, a case could be made for using this hotel as a base for tourism. It was only GBP 110 when the central London options were GBP 300++. And the Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station is a 30 min ride. Figure the total travel time from the hotel would be under an hour and cost around GBP 40 return per person. You could easily save GBP 100 per night staying here and only waste a little time. Plus I had the best sleep of the entire trip, since it's sort of a rural/wooded setting.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The ibis wasn't terrible. About what you'd expect from an ibis. Definitely manageable.
And the Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station is a 30 min ride. Figure the total travel time from the hotel would be under an hour and cost around GBP 40 return per person. You could easily save GBP 100 per night staying here and only waste a little time. Plus I had the best sleep of the entire trip, since it's sort of a rural/wooded setting.
Thanks for posting and good to know that ibis is manageable.

One useful thing to remember is that depending where you are heading in central London you can also catch the First Capital Connect to London Bridge which is often more convenient and certainly far less expensive than the Gatwick Express (and Victoria Station can be either very convenient or inconvenient depending on your final Central London destination).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:53 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
One useful thing to remember is that depending where you are heading in central London you can also catch the First Capital Connect to London Bridge which is often more convenient and certainly far less expensive than the Gatwick Express (and Victoria Station can be either very convenient or inconvenient depending on your final Central London destination).
Excellent point - I took First Capital Connect to St. Pancras for Eurostar. It was just under an hour and right about GBP 10 one-way. Not bad at all.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
While booking a stay at the St. Pancras for October, I noticed a promotion to earn double the amount points on any booked suites if anyone is interested.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
St. James Park Underground Station steps?

It would be sooooooooooo convenient and inexpensive to tube it from LHR to this station right next to St. Ermins hotel for my 5 night precruise stay. Any other method seems cumbersome.

Does anyone have any idea how many steps there are to drag my luggage up? My daughter will be with me, she's strong, but we'll have two large suitcases and a few carry ons. Our vacation is 2 1/2 weeks long before you judge me

My other option I guess is the airport bus to Victoria station and take a taxi from there? I think the Heathrow express is way too expensive and I already have my return handled from the cruiseport.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by trekker954
It would be sooooooooooo convenient and inexpensive to tube it from LHR to this station right next to St. Ermins hotel for my 5 night precruise stay. Any other method seems cumbersome.

Does anyone have any idea how many steps there are to drag my luggage up? My daughter will be with me, she's strong, but we'll have two large suitcases and a few carry ons. Our vacation is 2 1/2 weeks long before you judge me

My other option I guess is the airport bus to Victoria station and take a taxi from there? I think the Heathrow express is way too expensive and I already have my return handled from the cruiseport.
You'd probably get a better answer in the UK & Ireland forum re: # of steps etc.

Speaking only for myself, if I had 2 large suitcases & a few carry ons I wouldn't be schlepping.

If you think the HEX is too expensive, then go w/ the Heathrow Connect which is cheaper & then catch a cab from Paddington. Otherwise, your airport bus/taxi combo would be the best.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by trekker954

Here's a fun website that I found on another board: http://www.directenquiries.com/londonunderground.aspx#S It's designed to show accessibility for the disabled, so it will literally tell you how many steps you need to go up/down from platform to street, including in some cases pictures.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I must confess I'm coming around to share Sharon's love of this hotel.

Having stayed mainly at County Hall or St Pancras for a while, I am back in GH tonight and loving my Park View suite as well as the personal welcome from a member of the guest relations team who appeared as I was checked in.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by thegoderic
I must confess I'm coming around to share Sharon's love of this hotel.

Having stayed mainly at County Hall or St Pancras for a while, I am back in GH tonight and loving my Park View suite as well as the personal welcome from a member of the guest relations team who appeared as I was checked in.
I agree that the welcome and feeling of CH is not particularly warm. But, to me, the CH's location is wonderful, and the world-class views from many of its rooms (facing the Thames) are unrivaled.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I'm all packed, just waiting for Tuesday. I've heard from St. Ermin's a couple of times. I'm still hoping they will be able to give me two beds (daughter and I) rather than the queen room that I snapped up for saver points. They said they will try but as of a few weeks ago, they didn't see availability.

Planning this trip, and the things on our agenda, the location of this hotel is awesome. Google map from St. Ermins to Trafalgar Square is .8 miles away and we have to pass Westminister, Big Ben, 10 Downing and Horse Guard Parade. In the other direction, we walk to buckingham palace is .4 miles away and the Apollo Theatre to see Wicked is .5 miles away. The reviews on trip advisor for this hotel continue to be outstanding.

I promise to come back and give a review. We will be so busy in the afternoon/evening, I can't imagine we would have been able to use the lounge at night even if they had one. The one thing I do love lounges for are to grab a couple of bottles of water. Hopefully there will be a convenience store nearby so I'm not paying crazy price for water from the hotel.

We decided to just get a car service from the airport and then a car service from hotel to Harwich. London is expensive, there is no way around that, but I'm going to have a great time for sure.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ohmark
I agree that the welcome and feeling of CH is not particularly warm. But, to me, the CH's location is wonderful, and the world-class views from many of its rooms (facing the Thames) are unrivaled.
So true! The location is great, but the hotel felt really impersonal. Will likely try the GH next time (sort of kicking myself that I didn't just split my 6 night stay into 3 nights at each!)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: USAirways Chairman, Delta Platinum, Fiesta Platinum, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold
First, thanks to all for all the information. I spent a few hours on this thread. I'm booking a reward stay in October. Understanding that the upgrade chances are higher @ JW-GH, there seems to be a 'benifit' of an 'open bar' lounge @ GS, versus 'cocktail time' @ GH. But there also seems to be dispute on this...can anyone clarify if any Londan Marriott Properties have 'open bar' lounge, or are they all on the 'cocktail hour' system...thanks in advance...AND I did search for this answer quite a bit before asking. thanks
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Taking the Tube to JW Marriott grosvenor square

My wife and I will be in London over the Christmas Holiday. We are arriving into Heathrow on a Sunday, mid morning. We would like to take the tube from Heathrow to the JW Grosvenor Square but unsure on which line to take and where to get off closest to the Hotel.

I assume at Heathrow Airport, there is signage in the arrivals Hall to direct us to the tube station?

Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.