Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
It's been a while since I've seen any HEX deals. If you find one, please post a link or thread reference.
Sure thing.

Of course, I've never had a need to look before so I don't know how common they were before and how frequently they pop up. But if I find one, I'll report back.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've done the GH/Paddington quite a bit via taxi. It's usually 8-10GBP w/ tip. 12 would be the very max, but 8-10 is more the norm.

The other thing to consider, if you want to save some $$, is to take the Heathrow Connect rather than the HEX. HEX runs 4x/hour; HCon 2x (makes a few local stops, so takes 10 minutes longer to/from airport). HCon significantly less than HEX, unless you can find a promo for the HEX (check the UK & Ireland forum; they usually post HEX codes). HEX/HCon start/stop at same places.

Cheers.
I've taxied it a few times to and from Paddington & the GH, but I often just walk it if the WX is OK and I have time (usually the case inbound). It's about a mile, not for everyone, but especially inbound it's a pleasant walk and way to loosen up after all night in the air. Even if I do a tune-up in the Arrivals or Air Canada lounge. One time I stopped en route, at The Archery (now closed) for a classic English breakfast.

I usually have just 1 wheeled carry-on or sometimes a RedOxx SkyTrain pack; the walk along Hyde Park is relaxing. If I have the pack I often cut into the park itself. I use that pedestrian tunnel near the 14B bus stands to get over to the E side of Park Lane and S to the GH.

Last edited by AATrout; Jun 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic re: actual London properties:

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Thanks for the tips.

As is usual with my travels, I tend to like to get from A to B quickly and as easily as possible. The less modes of transport and switching and waiting, the better. But I do like to factor in cost. It's always about a balance, though for me, it typically leans towards speed and convenience and comfort over cost. I'll be on the lookout for deals on the Heathrow Express.
Normal HEX RT is 34GBP; normal HCon RT is 19GBP. I used to take the HEX exclusively. Now I often take the HCon, as the 15GBP savings almost covers RT on the cab to/from GH.

Originally Posted by dayone
It's been a while since I've seen any HEX deals. If you find one, please post a link or thread reference.
If there is one, it's usually posted in these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-codes-6.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...iscussion.html

Right now, according to the first thread, the only discount available is 50GBP for 2 people. So if 2 are going, it brings down the delta between HEX & HCon. Of course when you add in the cost of getting to/from GH + Hex costs, you're getting into mini-cab territory in terms of even costs for 2 people.

Discounts change periodically, so the 2 threads are the ones to bookmark/keep an eye on when headed to London/looking for less expensive HEX ride.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:31 pm

Marriott London Grosvenor Square vs. Grosvenor House, JW Marriott?

Marriott London Grosvenor Square vs. Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott?

Any preference between the two properties? Rewards points per night is the same and they are in the same area. The Marriott London looks to have newer rooms.

Appreciate any thoughts and/or recommendations!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:33 pm

You might want to read this thread, as the topic comes up frequently (and your thread will probably get merged with it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-england.html

My preference is for JW, Grosvenor House.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:51 pm

You might want to read this thread, as the topic comes up frequently (and your thread will probably get merged with it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-england.html

My preference is for JW, Grosvenor House.

Cheers.
@SkiAdcock, thanks. Any particular reason? It seems both have pros/cons.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Do you have status, what are you looking for, etc. That information will help.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Do you have status, what are you looking for, etc. That information will help.
I do. Platinum Elite with Ritz/Marriott Rewards. My wife and I are going for vacation; splitting time between London and Paris.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Chance of an upgrade are better at the JW - they have more suites. Rooms are smaller at Grosvenor House in my experience.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:41 pm

Chance of an upgrade are better at the JW - they have more suites. Rooms are smaller at Grosvenor House in my experience.
You mean rooms are smaller at Grosvenor Square, not Grosvenor House.

BlakeTraveler, I mean this really nicely but the GS vs GH question has been asked a lot & info is covered in the link I provided you. You'll get the pros/cons of each property without us having to post them all over again.

PS - London & Paris - nice trip

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I'm with Sharon on the GH as the pick. I like the proximity to Mayfair and St James and also Hyde Park for running and checking out the Speakers Corner.

This guy has posted some info on Speaker's Corner. Good place to cool down after a run and watch the show.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdDDImuWgk
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
Chance of an upgrade are better at the JW - they have more suites. Rooms are smaller at Grosvenor" Square "in my experience.
Just to confirm this:
we just had the rare occasion of being surprised with an upgrade at check-in into Grosvenor Square, just to be told a minute later, that this room was no longer available, but they would find another if we wanted to pay for an upgrade.
And the room we originaly booked and then received was tiny (fortunatley we shared one small suitcase, otherwise it would have been impossible to access the bathroom).
The rooms in the JW to my memory are small, but not as tiny and a bit overpriced as in many Marriotts and JWs.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Marriott-family hotels in London, England

Currently at the JW Grosvenor House. Extremely satisfied and feel very welcomed as a PP despite the hotel being near capacity each night.

I was upgraded at one time but on check in was just given an executive level (7th floor) room that is very nice and very large.

I am on a 5 night award stay so not surprised no suite was available. The general manager called the room the day after check in to apologize for being blocked into a suite at one time and for it no longer being available. Very nice and I didn't even complain or acknowledge I was showing a suite in my reservation at one time.

Bottle of wine and a JW cheesecake was sent up 2 nights in a row. Don't drink wine but the dessert was welcome.

Great lounge and superb concierges.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by PaxCGN
Just to confirm this:
we just had the rare occasion of being surprised with an upgrade at check-in into Grosvenor Square, just to be told a minute later, that this room was no longer available, but they would find another if we wanted to pay for an upgrade.
And the room we originaly booked and then received was tiny (fortunatley we shared one small suitcase, otherwise it would have been impossible to access the bathroom).
The rooms in the JW to my memory are small, but not as tiny and a bit overpriced as in many Marriotts and JWs.
I'm confused. You mention Grosvenor Square & JW. They're 2 different hotels. Which one are you staying at?

Originally Posted by apodo77
Currently at the JW Grosvenor House. Extremely satisfied and feel very welcomed as a PP despite the hotel being near capacity each night.

I was upgraded at one time but on check in was just given an executive level (7th floor) room that is very nice and very large.

I am on a 5 night award stay so not surprised no suite was available. The general manager called the room the day after check in to apologize for being blocked into a suite at one time and for it no longer being available. Very nice and I didn't even complain or acknowledge I was showing a suite in my reservation at one time.

Bottle of wine and a JW cheesecake was sent up 2 nights in a row. Don't drink wine but the dessert was welcome.

Great lounge and superb concierges.
Nice that you heard from the staff re: the upgrade/downgrade, and the gifts that were sent to your room. I LOVE the JW cheesecake!

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Nice that you heard from the staff re: the upgrade/downgrade, and the gifts that were sent to your room. I LOVE the JW cheesecake!

Cheers.
Those things can be addicting. Excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.