Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by happywanderer
... None of these three properties have nearby restaurants. The executive lounges are all quite small and their offerings are limited...
I am not sure when you were in London last, but all three GS, GH, an CH have a numerous variety of good restaurants at different price points within 2 blocks!

Also, the GS executive lounge was renovated last year and is now quite a bit larger than it was before. When my relatives where there back the end of January they found the offerings to be very extensive at breakfast and for evening appetizers with snacks (chips, cookies) and beverages (coffee, soft drinks, water) available throughout the day. Can't speak about the lounges at CH or GH, but Sharon did an extensive review based on a recent stay at GH a month or so ago.

Search is your friend. Two recent threads with extensive comments about GH and GS are below, with limited comments on CC, CH and others.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...eports-10.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/844287-marriott-london-hotel-do-you-reccomend-10.html

Regards,

RIP...

Last edited by OU812; Mar 24, 2009 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at the RCC last October - absolutely loved it.

We are going back in September and have a res at the GH. I could never hold my head up around Sharon if I didn't do that. Really - they ought to put her on the payroll.

At any rate, these are among the top places in London. It's hard to imagine not being satisfied at any of them (unless you're really, really bothered by that pesky pea under the mattress).

Think about where you really want to go in London, check out the city map and Tube map, and then pick the one whose location works best.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Weekend in London

Hello,

I have been to London in the past (LOVE the Grosvenor House) and I have perused many of the threads here about the various London properties.

I just am looking for some opinions on places to stay for a weekend I have coming up.

In about a month, I will be finishing up a business trip in London and it's worked out that I will be there for a couple of extra nights. Friday and Saturday night to be exact. I will be leaving via LHR at 8am in the morning on Sunday.

Since this is also on the company dime, I am more mindful of the expense... good corporate citizenship in watching the T&E budgets. Although not to the point of using my own points for a business trip! .

My strong preference is to keep the rates to under GBP 120 per night. Right now, I'm seeing rates at around GBP 105 at the Maida Vale, Marble Arch and Marriott Kensington, and GBP 131 at the Grosvenor Square. The less expensive properties are much preferred. Also, if I recall, the Grosvenor Square area does not have a whole lot going on in terms of night life, and although I'm married and not looking to "hook up" , I do think it would be fun to be in an area that has some energy and vibe to it - sitting my hotel room alone at 10:30pm is just depressing... you know what I mean?

From what I've read, Marble Arch and Maida Vale seem to be decent properties, and I certainly have no issue with Middle Eastern neighborhoods - actually I really like Middle Eastern food, so that's cool. But I doubt there are many pubs or such in those areas. Also, I have not seen much on the Kensington.

Lastly, since my flight is in the morning, easy access to taking the train to LHR would be a big plus. I've never taken the train to LHR, but I would imagine it would be faster and easier than a cab. Certainly cheaper! There goes that T&E budget again.

So I guess, I'm looking for a good MR property (good Plat upgrades/treatment) that can be had for about GBP 100-110 per weekend night in a nice lively area with decent nightlife and a good vibe and decent access to tube/train to LHR. Is that asking too much?

My plan is to hang out and have a little fun in London, maybe catch a play and just be a tourist for a couple of days. My wife is really bummed that she can't come out to join me for the weekend.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Of the options you mentioned: Grosvenor Square. It's only 4 blocks from Grosvenor House & a 5-minute walk to the Bond Street tube stop. It's a block or so off of Oxford Street, and if you find the thread by cyberdad, he mentions all the pubs, restaurants. It's an easy 15-20 minute walk to the theatre district & Soho. Oops - just realized I thought GS was 105. Saw it's actually 131.

Ok, then - Marble Arch. Marble Arch tube stop & still easy walking or tube to the west end, etc. Also close to the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square.

I've not been to Maida Vale but it's in Zone 2 as is Kensington, and I believe both are in more residential areas, so not a lot of nightlife.

I frequently do a cab/train combo. Take a cab to Paddington & then take the Heathrow Connect or Heathrow Express to LHR. Since you're leaving early on Sun, the HCon won't be running yet, but the HEX will. The cheapest way to get out to LHR is the tube, if you chose to go that route. Marble Arch to Bond Street, switch to Jubilee line one stop to Green Park, switch to Picadilly line & take that out to LHR. Of course that depends on your luggage situation.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've stayed at Maida Vale. It's a decent alternative in peak periods when it's sometimes the ONLY Marriott in town with a reasonable rate. The neighborhood is more residential, but there are pubs and restaurants within walking distance that are just fine. There is good tube and bus access nearby as well.

However, I'd always recommend one of the more centrally-located properties if the costs are all in a similar range. MA and GS are both good calls in the 105-131 range.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:54 pm

My vote goes to Chancery Court for most of the reasons listed above by happywanderer.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I can't add a lot to what's already been accurately and eloquently said.

As I've posted in other threads, its all a matter of what you're looking for and your own personal tastes. You really can't go wrong with any of these properties.

Anyway, my two cents....

First, I absolutely second the notion of getting an oyster card. Saves both time and money....even for short-term visitors. You can buy one at the tube station at LHR, and top it off if/when/as needed. Mine stays in my wallet and I arrive "ready to go".

I respectfully disagree that none of these properties have restaurants nearby.
CC has a slew of them a ten-minute walk away in and around Covent Garden. GS also has dozens within about a ten minute walk....mostly of the smaller neighborhood type.

As regulars here know, my favorite of this bunch is GS. That's not to say that it should be everyone's favorite. As stated previously, it depends on your own individual tastes and what you're looking for. I (and Mrs. Cyberdad) like it because it's in a lovely (and somewhat quieter) neighborhood setting, but still "arm's length" from Oxford Street shopping, Bond Street tube, neighborhood pubs and restaurants, etc. They also have a great staff and the location is handy for our daughter, who lives and teaches in Central London.

Enjoy and feel free to pm me with specific questions. But again....there's no "wrong answer" with these four.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Of the options you mentioned: Grosvenor Square. It's only 4 blocks from Grosvenor House & a 5-minute walk to the Bond Street tube stop. It's a block or so off of Oxford Street, and if you find the thread by cyberdad, he mentions all the pubs, restaurants. It's an easy 15-20 minute walk to the theater district & Soho. Oops - just realized I thought GS was 105. Saw it's actually 131.
The neighborhood around GS won't make anyone forget Vegas...or, for that matter Soho. But it's not exactly a nightlife wasteland either. Plenty of fun pubs within about a 5-10 minute walk. Or you can hop in a cab or tube and head over to Covent Garden (or Soho...or wherever). PM me and I can fill you in on some of the specifics.

If you're going to strictly adhere to the 105 pound rule, try Kensington. Not much immediately adjacent to the hotel, but a ten minute walk to the Gloucester Road area. Lively atmosphere there, with a number of restaurants, pubs and basically a diverse, younger, largely professional crowd. My son lived in this area when he spent a year of college in London and had a blast.

Agree with Sharon that the HEX is probably your best bet for getting to the airport. That would be easier to do from GS, but shouldn't be too terrible from Kens. Kens would be the easiest via tube to the airport, depending on how much luggage you have. Kens would also be the easiest via cab....given that its the farthest west of the central London Marriotts. Sunday morning should be resonably painless.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:54 am
rln

Last Saturday night I stayed at the Kensington. Its a very nice property with - in my experience - a high propensity of upgrading platinums into rather large suites. The one given me last week was so large that I didn't venture once into the living room area that included two sofas, television, and a cofffee table. I do like the neighborhood.

If you, in fact, have an early flight out from Heathrow, why not just amble down to the nearby tube station (easy walk to Earls Court as well) and go to the airport on Sunday night.

Here's the ticket: Windsor Marriott. You can usually get a weekend rate for 59-65 pounds. This property, I would think, would score high with many folks who post on this site.

The rooms are large and the C-Lounge puts out quite a feast. Last Sunday night they had two hot dishes, several fancy cold appetizers, and fruits and cheeses. The several desserts were very fancy. It matched or exceeded what I have seen at the central London properties. It stayed open till midnight and the large flat screen monitor was tuned to a pay movie channel - was showing Mama Mia and Eagle Eye.

Some employees couldn't stop asking what more, if anything, they could do for me. I ordered some pasta and asked if a couple of anchovies couldn't be chopped up into the dish. Well, it was nearing midnight and it was the limited menu and, perhaps, the regular chef had left for the day. In an effort to please, someone poured what seemed to be a couple of entire cans of achovies on top of the pasta (which was very good, by the way). Happily, they were the white variety and not salty at all.

If it matters at all to you - it is important to me - the Windsor has a fantastic work out facility on the grounds.

The only downside - and its not much - is that its about a 10 minute ride from the airport to the property on the Hotel Hoppa. The Hoppa for the Windsor comes every half hour. As you may know, its eight pounds round trip on a Heathrow Hotel Hoppa bus.

So - thats my two pence.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I agree with cyberdad that there is no 'wrong answer' with these 4. I've stayed at 3 of the 4, and GH is my personal fave (and no I am not on the payroll! ), but it's not like you'll be slumming at any of them.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Check out the Renaissance Chancery Court. They have GBP 120 weekend rates. It's right next to the Holborn tube stop...you can take the Piccadilly Line to/from Heathrow in an hour. If you do this instead of Heathrow Express you'll be even on rate compared to the lower priced hotels. Look into getting an unlimited Oyster Card at Heathrow and just ask them to add the amounts to cover your Heathrow trip. I don't think it will run you more than about GBP 4 extra for the Heathrow round trip.

The hotel is a short walk from Covent Garden with numerous pubs and restaurants.

Very nice rooms, I've had good upgrade experience, and a nice club lounge open all weekend.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
I'd suggest either GS if the price is right or Marble Arch if that's in your next price tier. Both hotels are in relative proximity to each other ( Marble Arch via the Marble Arch Underground or GS via Bond St. ). Actually, Marble Arch is a convenient 10 minute stroll to Paddington Station if you're departing via LHR and would make for a trouble-free departure ( even if you elect to taxi it ).

GS is in a quiet location, but you're a only couple of block from Oxford Street. Same situation with MA but from a different direction. We've not been in GS since the restaurant re-do but it's obviously a nice property. Likewise for MA which is a busy property that still retains a cozy feel. And the bar is a nice place to hang out and grab a snack and people watch. We ourselves are walkers, so we always end up walking back to MA as there's so many routes to take from Piccadilly/Westend areas ( GS would fit right into this sort of routine ).

In either case, you're in proximity to our favorite restaurant, El Pirata of Mayfair -- a Spanish restaurant with a tapas menu that can also fill an appetite ( Down Street two short blocks in from Park Lane and Piccadilly ).

Enjoy your stay.

Barry
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Transporation options LHR- Grosvenor Hall

What are the best early morning transportation options for 2 people with some luggage from LHR- Marriott Grosvenor Hall. Also from the hotel to the Eurostar station.
Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:59 pm

Programs: U/A Silver, MR Platinum, HH Gold, Hertz #1Gold
I have always used a car service from LHR into London. They meet you in the arrivals hall and take care of your bags from there to the hotel. A taxi is probably the best way to get from the hotel to the train station. The tube stations would be a hassle with luggage.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ions-more.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.