Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:37 pm

If booking FHR rate while having Marriott Platinum status, will the FHR breakfast credit ($30 /person) stack ontop of the Platinum benefit of free continental breakfast? If so, can the credit be used to upgrade to full buffet? (I believe for $10 upcharge?)
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by standing01
If booking FHR rate while having Marriott Platinum status, will the FHR breakfast credit ($30 /person) stack ontop of the Platinum benefit of free continental breakfast? If so, can the credit be used to upgrade to full buffet? (I believe for $10 upcharge?)
You can use the $60 to upgrade to the full buffet or for other non-breakfast food and beverage purchases, including room service.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
The Palace is worth a visit

Its been a while since Ive been to San Francisco, and with a recent full day lay over I was debating whether to stay at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons Embarcadero, Westin St Francis, or Intercontinental options Ive stayed at before. Its always a consideration of things I enjoy, between status benefits, and modern rooms, yet historical properties with character, then properties with views and of course lounge access. Its always tough deciding. Still, with the combination of Virtuoso benefits, pricing, and just a more low key type of visit that were doing we opted for a deluxe suite at the Palace.

Service definitely has been phenomenal. The agent who checked us in couldnt be any nicer who went in lengths describing our benefits for booking through Virtuoso, but also acknowledging the benefits of being Platinum. She was proactive in offering the late checkout which we didnt need, and was apologetic that she couldnt upgrade us any higher as all suites were booked, but as a recovery, she ensured a very nice welcome amenity in the room in exchange, which consisted of sparkling wine, bottles of sparkling water, chocolates, and a huge fruit and cheese plate with assorted crackers. The warm welcome truly set the tone.

When it comes to the property, I was definitely impressed. The property looks meticulously maintained. Which was a contrast to the St Francis just basing it through our walk inside the public areas. The deluxe suite was beautiful. Sure theres scratches here and there, and the bathroom with only one sink and a shower is a bit small for such a spacious room, but overall the room is a very high quality space to spend the day in.

One area that we lamented was the lack of more dining options as we only could get dinner at Pied Piper, which overall was good, but the smaller space could get loud, and once again, a property as grand as the Palace could certainly offer more dining options. The breakfast is beautiful as expected and more than adequate under the famous glass dome.

Overall, yes, we wish theres a club lounge offered like the Ritz, or theres a towering view from above like the FS, but once we factored in the price, not feeling being tied to any food spread schedule, the benefits of booking with Virtuoso, the beautiful updated rooms, grand historical character, and the easy location, we were glad we spent the day at the Palace.

Vaclav likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure why there is a photo of union square taken from Macy's in the Palace thread.
SPN Lifer and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A quick one-night stay to attend a performance in the City followed by an early morning flight from SFO. Booked lowest AAA rate last minute (Superior King), wound up with a very nice upgrade to a Deluxe Suite. They also gave me a bottle of wine as a welcome amenity. Appreciate the thought (though I'm pretty sure my profile says "no alcohol").

Room was as depicted in photos immediately upthread. As noted, bathroom very small, but room otherwise comfortable, attractive, and well outfitted. Bed was incredibly comfortable. Left too early to enjoy breakfast. But was advised at check-in that the elite breakfast is continental buffet in the Garden Court, with an upcharge for the full buffet. You have to reserve a table in advance through concierge. When I departed just before 7 am, the restaurant was dead empty. Garden Court is gorgeous as ever.

I will note that the contrast between the suite I stayed in and the "upgraded" room (Deluxe King) I was initially assigned was pretty dramatic. The regular rooms open directly on the hallways, which I really dislike. They are also sparsely furnished. My sense is you'll have a much better stay if you can get into one of the suites.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:11 pm

Stayed here for a work event this weekend. Central billed, but nonetheless received full elite benes, including upgrade to Deluxe Suite on 7th floor, breakfast coupons, and late checkout. Upgrade from continental to full buffet was only $10 pp. Quality was meh but the setting in Garden Court is spectacular. Certainly one of the most elegant breakfast settings in the entire Marriott system; bit of a shame the food offerings don't measure up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:03 am

Had a quick one night stay as a titanium. Hotel reached out before stay and proactively offered a 6pm checkout as our flight did not leave until 8:30pm this was taken and appreciated but keys stopped working at 4 and the staff working the desk told us we need to check out when we came down at 4:30 to have our keys reprogrammed. We were leaving anyway so I didn't bother showing the email from the GM that said 6.

Was given a room on the 8th floor which was small but had very high ceilings and was well appointed with Frette sheets and a wonderful toto washlet. Room really punches above it's weight for it's size and old bones.

As others have said Garden court is beautiful but the food is nothing special. $10 upcharge for full Buffett is worth it as cold selection is quite small.

Used a free night certificate and 10k points for the room which was a good value.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:37 pm

Sorry I am new to FHR. How can I use FHR to book it *and* attempt to get points/nights awarded to Marriott? Is there a way to give them my Marriott # when booking through FHR?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SilverGGA
Sorry I am new to FHR. How can I use FHR to book it *and* attempt to get points/nights awarded to Marriott? Is there a way to give them my Marriott # when booking through FHR?
There will be a dropdown to put your Loyalty Number when you're entering guest info before confirming your FHR booking. The reservation will then appear on your Marriott account.
dw and SilverGGA like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Just keep in mind youre likely to get nights and points for the stay, but the points may or may not correspond to your actual room rate and incidental spend.
SilverGGA likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:26 pm

Booked 1 night to use the FHR credit. I enrolled the Amex Plat Marriott Gold late so I was not Gold when I checked in (they greeted me as Silver in messages/chat, but my Silver has just expired) . Upgraded from Superior Double to Deluxe Double at check-in. Slightly disappointed that the breakfast buffet was moved from Garden Court to Pied Piper due to Easter Brunch. The breakfast buffet food was so-so, but reservation/restaurant front desk annoyed me.

We made a 9:30am reservation and confirmed the night before, but at breakfast, the restaurant's front desk greeter said their reservation system was down, and everyone was put on the wait-list as first-come-first-served. We had to wait for 20-30 minutes before getting seated. I noticed many tables that were done, but not ready because they were not cleaned up quickly. Seemed short staffed. However, once we got a table, the server was great!

The hotel was beautiful and historic. You can see the aging but can also see the updates in the room. Overall a great 1 night get-away, other than the breakfast experience. The kids also liked the pool.

Tip - there is a garage on Minna Street (3 minute walk) which was around $35 for 24 hours w/ in-and-out. We used that instead of the Valet which was around $80.

Got the elite night credit and 3699 base points (+25% bonus because Gold upgrade came through before they credited). Not sure if 3699 base is good for 1 night, but I have no complains.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:05 pm

Tip - there is a garage on Minna Street (3 minute walk) which was around $35 for 24 hours w/ in-and-out. We used that instead of the Valet which was around $80.
I was here for a weekend event in February, and some of my colleagues waited more than 90 minutes for the valets to retrieve their cars on Sunday morning. So I'd definitely avoid valet if possible!

Got the elite night credit and 3699 base points (+25% bonus because Gold upgrade came through before they credited). Not sure if 3699 base is good for 1 night, but I have no complains.
Suggests your room rate was $369.90.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:46 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Booked 1 night to use the FHR credit. I enrolled the Amex Plat Marriott Gold late so I was not Gold when I checked in (they greeted me as Silver in messages/chat, but my Silver has just expired) . Upgraded from Superior Double to Deluxe Double at check-in. Slightly disappointed that the breakfast buffet was moved from Garden Court to Pied Piper due to Easter Brunch. The breakfast buffet food was so-so, but reservation/restaurant front desk annoyed me.

We made a 9:30am reservation and confirmed the night before, but at breakfast, the restaurant's front desk greeter said their reservation system was down, and everyone was put on the wait-list as first-come-first-served. We had to wait for 20-30 minutes before getting seated. I noticed many tables that were done, but not ready because they were not cleaned up quickly. Seemed short staffed. However, once we got a table, the server was great!

The hotel was beautiful and historic. You can see the aging but can also see the updates in the room. Overall a great 1 night get-away, other than the breakfast experience. The kids also liked the pool.

Nice parking hack, thanks, I might use it when Im there on points in early May. I also like the ParkWhiz app for parking.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Was just there last weekend. The front desk line was out of this world. There was only one person working and a line of 17 deep. I've had a much better experience with both Valet and FD 2 weeks ago at the St. Francis.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe
Was just there last weekend. The front desk line was out of this world. There was only one person working and a line of 17 deep. I've had a much better experience with both Valet and FD 2 weeks ago at the St. Francis.
What time? We were also there last weekend, and checked in at around 4:45-5pm on Saturday. There was only 1 guest checking in, and there were 2 front desk staff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.