Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:24 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Iím guessing much pricier. Breakfast at the Palace is about the Garden Court for me.

otherwise, Iím coffee until lunch usually.
For short stays, itís probably a big price difference. On long stays, the STR discounts aggressively. Just looked at a random week in Jan for 4 nights:

Palace: $407/night
STR: $586/night

Definitely not a small difference but could be worth it imo. Sounds like you just prefer the Palace which is reasonable. For other ppl considering, I think the STR is a great deal at these rates.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by WasKnown
For short stays, itís probably a big price difference. On long stays, the STR discounts aggressively. Just looked at a random week in Jan for 4 nights:

Palace: $407/night
STR: $586/night

Definitely not a small difference but could be worth it imo. Sounds like you just prefer the Palace which is reasonable. For other ppl considering, I think the STR is a great deal at these rates.
I wouldn't be staying at the Palace at that price. I came up with $343 vs. $586 looking a little further out rather than close in availability, I paid a $363 with FHR (vs. $315 senior discount); FHR was marginally cheaper due to $100 food credit (per stay) and an extra $20 at breakfast, (and then my $200 Amex Plat prepaid credit, two cards, so $400 on the 2 night stay).

How big a discount off $586 is it? Or is that the discounted rate?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 2:53 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I wouldn't be staying at the Palace at that price. I came up with $343 vs. $586 looking a little further out rather than close in availability, I paid a $363 with FHR (vs. $315 senior discount); FHR was marginally cheaper due to $100 food credit (per stay) and an extra $20 at breakfast, (and then my $200 Amex Plat prepaid credit, two cards, so $400 on the 2 night stay).

How big a discount off $586 is it? Or is that the discounted rate?
Oh ok, I honestly have no idea what the Palace goes for normally. $586 is the discounted rate on long-term stays. However, they also have AAA and FoundersCard rates that put it in the $450 range sometimes.

I have never stayed at the Palace so canít credibly compare the two. However, the STR SF is a great hotel that has gone above and beyond to treat me well. I really like it a lot and think it is well worth the price.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Overall, a nice stay at The Palace (I sound like my parents adding the "The" like how they say "the Walmart") :-)

Checked in around 9:30 AM, so the only ready rooms were Superior Kings (I had been upgraded to a Deluxe King in app). No suites were available anyway, so I just took the Superior King. Interior view, but I was on the top floor so I could see some buildings if I looked up (and no one else in the courtyard could look down on me). I also took an optimistic POV as I feel like the interior rooms were likely quieter.

The room itself is pretty nice - nice upgrades while still feeling historic. I really liked the custom doorknobs on the outer doors. Bed was plush and comfortable. TV was upgraded with Internet TV OS. Bathroom had shower-tub combo, but the shower worked well enough (pressure a bit low, but nothing too bad). I really liked the Toto Washlet on the toilet (first time I've ever had the courage to try one because the heated seat would come on automatically - many I've encountered before seemed more glitchy or confusing). Nice robes and slippers. My one complaint would be that the room lacked many drawers for clothes.

Service was good - friendly front desk (many apologies for the lack of upgrade) and doormen. No issue with late checkout.

Breakfast at the Garden Court was nice - not too busy at 7:30 AM on Sunday. Elite breakfast is the continental options on the buffet - $7 charge to upgrade to the full buffet. Not the best buffet, but not bad - really good bacon and coffee. Would have rather had pancakes than french toast. I did hear my server tell another Elite guest the voucher covers $40 off the a la carte menu as an option. Beautiful setting, and prompt service (I checked with my server to see if they get gratuity off the voucher - they do). I saw a grab and go stand, but it was completely closed with no items.

Lovely pool and hot tub - you can get a special black key card with gym and pool access if you show your vaccination card at check-in. Swimming under the glass dome with the skyscrapers around you is very nice.

Overall, a very nice stay, despite my interior view.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
Report on 2 1-night stays

Stayed 2x in December as Plat to use up Amex FHR credits & reach Titanium.

First stay was solid other than suffering through a lot of drunk people in the hall seemingly all night long - absolutely terrible soundproofing.

Second stay was miserable. Food and waitstaff were noticeably worse, broken Toto bidet in the toilet, long hold times for any phoned request, took over 90 minutes for them to send up a toothbrush -- clearly understaffed in every department. We received an "upgrade" to a junior suite that was freezing cold (heat off upon arrival) and even had the same framed picture on 2 different walls in the same room.

Won't be returning. Take your FHR credit elsewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:30 pm

Anything recent? Thinking of using Amex credit with FHR, rate is currently $372 for basic room. Only there one night with two adults one kid so using the breakfast credit and $100 food and beverage is likely a challenge since we'll probably only eat breakfast at the hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
I have a 50k certificate I have to use, hoping to max it out on a luxury hotel here in SF. STR is out of my range, so itís between the Palace, JW Marriott, or the W.

Iím subpar reviews for the JW and the W, so would people agree the Palace is the best option out of these 3?

Hoping to use SNA too, earlier posts here say theyíve been upgraded to Suites, plus breakfast seems like a good option here too.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
Iím subpar reviews for the JW and the W, so would people agree the Palace is the best option out of these 3?
I wouldn't call the W subpar. It has its pluses and minuses, just like the Palace. I've always gotten decent upgrades at the W. The JW is a notch below both IMO.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
garden court breakfast buffet

hi,

can someone tell me if the garden court breakfast buffet is available on weekdays?

thx
sp
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by sucklingpig
hi,

can someone tell me if the garden court breakfast buffet is available on weekdays?

thx
sp
I just called and they have a daily breakfast buffet in the Garden Court. Their Sunday brunch was stopped for COVID and is starting again Dec. 4th.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 10:01 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Question regarding FHR booking, I need two AS segments before 12/31 and am thinking about flying down to SF and using the $200 Amex credit before it goes to waste at The Palace.
Would the $100 FHR credit cover the afternoon tea? If the breakfast credit is $60 for two, is it only $30 for one (i.e not enough to cover the buffet)?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by DTS
Question regarding FHR booking, I need two AS segments before 12/31 and am thinking about flying down to SF and using the $200 Amex credit before it goes to waste at The Palace.
Would the $100 FHR credit cover the afternoon tea? If the breakfast credit is $60 for two, is it only $30 for one (i.e not enough to cover the buffet)?
Donít know about afternoon tea, sorry. We stayed here in August and it was $30 per person at breakfast, which I think is stingy but entirely expected within the US.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DTS
If the breakfast credit is $60 for two, is it only $30 for one (i.e not enough to cover the buffet)?
IME Usually properties will give the full value (in this case, $60) but it's really up to them how they handle it.

Whether the $100 will apply to the tea depends on the terms of the credit. If it's F&B or property credit, it should; if it's a spa or experience credit, probably not :-) If you want to be a 100% certain, I'd call or email the property.

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Donít know about afternoon tea, sorry. We stayed here in August and it was $30 per person at breakfast, which I think is stingy but entirely expected within the US.
IME that's at the very low end. I'd typically avoid properties that are so penurious.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME Usually properties will give the full value (in this case, $60) but it's really up to them how they handle it.

Whether the $100 will apply to the tea depends on the terms of the credit. If it's F&B or property credit, it should; if it's a spa or experience credit, probably not :-) If you want to be a 100% certain, I'd call or email the property.

IME that's at the very low end. I'd typically avoid properties that are so penurious.
Yeah, I didnít think it was exactly generous, considering this was the STARS breakfast benefit. I didnít like the hotel very much, but W Boston gave us $48 per person, so thatís a better baseline. Iím just used to free breakfast in Europe, so I find it entertaining how much American luxury hotels try to nickel and dime people. Shout out to the Liberty in Boston who gave us free ďcontinentalĒ breakfast for free, including the tip.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Pros

- Good location, close to a lot of stuff (convention centers, SOMA, shopping, etc)
- The rooms themselves look recently renovated, good toiletries, etc
- Historic looking hallways, design, Garden Court
- Breakfast benefit was pretty good (though I had to insist on it applying to the waiter on the second day) -continental breakfast is free for Platinums, upgrade for $10 to full buffet
- Pied Piper bar is pretty interesting looking space, nice drinks. I didn't have any of the food, but it looked serviceable. Good people watching and bar conversation
- Pool is a unique resource. Great opportunity t0 walk around the hotel in a robe to go to the pool (especially since you can walk up and down stairs at this property). Gym was also good

Cons
- No discernable upgrade
- I didn't experience any noise from the street - but the hotel hallways are very noisy, especially when you have a wedding on property and drunk guests are coming up and down hotel
- Style can look a little "old school" for certain tastes
- Overall, the hotel can be overpriced for what it is - its not "luxury" like Four Seasons or St Regis or such in the town

I would stay again. I need to stay at the W to get a true sense of competition though. I would also recommend booking using FHR here - I should have as it would have knocked $100 off my Pied Piper tab.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.