Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Palace Hotel, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Is there a lounge at Palace Hotel? Considering a stay there.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BarryL
Is there a lounge at Palace Hotel? Considering a stay there.
No lounge. The bar is really nice if you just want to grab a drink.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:24 pm

No lounge, no perks for plats (apart from breakfast or points), no upgrades. I am currently staying here and I got a small room with a window facing bricks. Pretty disappointing, but on the plus side, the breakfast is good.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Spg
The Palace San Francisco

Does anyone have any type of contact email for this property?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JNguyen
Does anyone have any type of contact email for this property?
https://www.sfpalace.com/contact-us/

[email protected]

[email protected]
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:07 pm

Considering this place vs St Regis - any thoughts on which is better (specifically for rooms, afternoon tea, and breakfast)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Considering this place vs St Regis - any thoughts on which is better (specifically for rooms, afternoon tea, and breakfast)?

Thanks!
All things being equal, it’s tough to beat the StR. The StR is perhaps the best luxury hotel in the city, and certainly the best hotel in the Marriott portfolio in the city.

That being said, if the StR rate is so much higher than that of the Palace (or RC), I’d recommend the Palace or RC. I think the StR and Palace both have nice breakfast options, but the StR entry level rooms are nicer and larger and the overall StR service is top drawer. The StR is also a smaller and more initiate property with fewer rooms than the Palace. The RC has a Club Lounge, but you have to pay for that.

So it really comes down to what the comparable rates might be and what you like most for value-add. Neither the StR or Palace have a lounge.

FWIW, I’m a frequent guest of the StR. But in Nov, I’ll be staying at the RC since it’s rate ($500+) is a lot less than that of either the StR ($800+) or Palace ($700+).
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Thanks! StR is $50 higher than Palace. Both are Amex FHR rates (and I'm plat preferred) so breakfast would be included.

Sounds like your view is StR would be nicer way to go?

Should also add it's for a special occasion, so not sure if that would swing it one way or other
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Thanks! StR is $50 higher than Palace. Both are Amex FHR rates (and I'm plat preferred) so breakfast would be included.

Sounds like your view is StR would be nicer way to go?
For $50, I’d definitely choose the StR. To each, their own, though.

Both hotels treat Plats well. But I’m Plat100 Ambassador and a very frequent guest at the StR. (I was just there Labor Day weekend and July 1-4. My Expert Review from Labor Day weekend: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...francisco-2835)

For a special occasion, I’d always choose the StR over the Palace.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (Sky Team Elite Plus) / Marriott Ambassador Elite / Singapore Airlines PPS club
Strike at Palace Hotel

We are staying at the Palace Hotel in SFO and they have been hit by significant union driven strike action from housekeeping and F&B staff.

in front of the hotel is a group of noisy staff members striking and protesting. They woke us up at 7am this morning with their shouting. House keeping has been limited (probably to checkout/ins only) and Make A Green Choice is imposed on all guests. This means we get 500 points in return for not receiving any house keeping, no choice given. Breakfast was a joke this morning with a stripped down buffet - i.e. at best Four Points or Courtyard quality.

It looks like they try to keep the hotel running with the remaining members of staff. They are very friendly, incredibly hard working but it is obvious they are not trained. It feels like they have finance, marketing and HR doing breakfast and housekeeping duties.

All in all a bit of chaos and if you have a choice I would not stay here until the strike has been called off. Again, I sympathize with the hotel management facing this difficult situation but they simply cannot provide the service you would expect from this hotel.

For now they do not know when the strike will be over - it could be at least several days. Just giving you all a heads-up.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgeldere
We are staying at the Palace Hotel in SFO and they have been hit by significant union driven strike action from housekeeping and F&B staff.

I sympathize with the hotel management facing this difficult situation but they simply cannot provide the service you would expect from this hotel.
I sympathize with the employees on strike as much as the management trying to maintain the hotel stays for paying guests. The striking Marriott employees want and deserve a liveable wage from a hotel company that is so very profitable.

The strike is for many Marriott hotels in San Francisco, including the Palace (and my favorite StR). There also is another Marriott strike now in Boston, and previous Marriott strikes were held in Chicago and New York.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/...san-francisco/
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (Sky Team Elite Plus) / Marriott Ambassador Elite / Singapore Airlines PPS club
Thanks. Well - Marriott has to fix this. Guest experience levels are unacceptable and regardless of who is right or wrong in this dispute they will start to lose customers if this continues.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Disappointing - Avoid

No striking/picketing during our stay. Lived in SF for years, wife born there. Elsewhere now. Went for 2 night stay for anniversary, my wife liked the old time SF of the 1960's growing up there, never stayed in Hotel.. Garden Court is a very special room, anyone can visit from another hotel. In my opinion this is all the hotel has to offer, Pied Piper bartenders incompetent, GC ones did just fine. No dinner available in Hotel (Room Service is not a choice for me! I refuse to eat it. Late/cold/surly service, etc.)

Anniversary gift was a stale cake, but the bartender in the GC did buy us one glass of our two of Lanson.

Called day before to be certain they noted it was our anniversary. Without a prompt, man on phone noted and said "We see it's your anniversary - we've upgraded you to a Junior Suite" (Lifetime Golf SPG, Platinum this year), didn't write it down or take a name,told no upgrade available on check-in, stupid me is all I can say. Was given "Superior Room" -330 v 300 square feet) - shown two rooms, second one had the added benefit of Market Street noise and even less (How possible???) area. We did get daily water, had three service issues in room fixed on visit to front desk (One was inoperable phone). Breakfast benefit was Continental - $7 extra each for full. Nothing special, no Sunday Brunch our Anniversary Sunday.

Shower was like a chihuahua with prostate problems, Toto heated, air-blow toilet seat was just a stupid downgrade from a full sized toilet seat, bathroom with standard old-school tub and about 4-5 square feet of area to move, one sink, inadequate lighting scheme.

Compare with a grand old hotel like Chicago's Drake? - complete failure in every mode.

Did I mention that Marriott was already losing me as a customer? Nail in the coffin.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

All things being equal, it’s tough to beat the StR. The StR is perhaps the best luxury hotel in the city, and certainly the best hotel in the Marriott portfolio in the city.

FWIW, I’m a frequent guest of the StR. But in Nov, I’ll be staying at the RC since it’s rate ($500+) is a lot less than that of either the StR ($800+) or Palace ($700+).
I prefer the RC. Although (like most RCs) it's slightly stuffier than is ideal, the rooms have been updated recently and the location is better than the StR.

The Palace is typically a lot cheaper. It's really not comparable to the StR or RC. I will be staying there on a rate too good to pass up next weekend. Do they still provide Byredo amenities?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 am

I just stayed at the Palace a couple of weeks ago, the amenities were "Le Chemin" which IIRC is a Byredo product.

FWIW, I find the Palace/StR (which are just a couple of blocks away from each other) to have a much better location than the RC but there's obviously no objective, universal answer there.
Kacee and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.