FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Munich, Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/840529-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-munich-germany.html)

ohmark Jan 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24267914)
I didn't even realize there was a RI in MUC until this post. Must have missed that before. So are you saying this CY does provide free brekkie to Plats?

I stayed at the RI in summer 2013 and noticed the CYE customers trooping in to the large/modern breakfast room. I asked at the RI desk about it, and they said the CY was comping breakfast. Thought the breakfast was nice, and better than RI's in U.S. Way better than the rather expensive CY Bistro breakfast in the U.S., of course.

MLCJ Jan 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24263811)
Why would you think you would get breakfast comp'ed? Do you get it comped in the US at C/Ys?. The same thing usually obtains in Europe and at this specific hotel. We took the S-Bahn from the East Haufbahn-Hof to the fairgrounds.

CY City Center offers a comp'd breakfast (a good one at that) for Plats, so maybe he was confirming instead of asking for a snippy answer that didn't answer his question...

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by MLCJ (Post 24269998)
CY City Center offers a comp'd breakfast (a good one at that) for Plats, so maybe he was confirming instead of asking for a snippy answer that didn't answer his question...

Well it certainly is apparent that you don't frequent many C/Ys in Europe or the US or you would know the overwhelming answer to such a simplistic question.

91 posts and he knows all, snippy, indeed. :rolleyes:

allset2travel Jan 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 24263626)
We are staying at the Courtyard Munich City East for 2 nights in May. It appears to be a 15 minute walk from the city center. Is that accurate? Anyone have experience with this property? I am a Plat so hopefully will recieve free breakfast. We did in at the Stockholm CY last July. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

The RI and CY are 2 separate hotel buildings sharing a common restaurant (where breakfast is served for both properties.). I stayed at the RI where it comps Plat breakfast. The front desk staff told me Plats in CY would have comp'd breakfast as well. Every morning, I saw many guests from CY side walked right in and did breakfast there.

To make sure, you might call the hotel and find out.

I did not walk to the city center (Marienplatz), since the S bahn station is none other than Ost Hbf which is 5 minutes walk from hotel. If you do walk, my guess is it might take more than 15 minutes.

Exdon Feb 1, 2015 5:29 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 24270345)
The front desk staff told me Plats in CY would have comp'd breakfast as well. Every morning, I saw many guests from CY side walked right in and did breakfast there.
To make sure, you might call the hotel and find out.

No need to call; I'm a regular and always get brekkie.

MLCJ Feb 1, 2015 8:24 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24270145)
Well it certainly is apparent that you don't frequent many C/Ys in Europe or the US or you would know the overwhelming answer to such a simplistic question.

91 posts and he knows all, snippy, indeed. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I didn't know that the number of posts was relative to experience, guess I was too busy traveling and working. And no, I'm happy to admit I don't frequent many Courtyards, either in Europe or the U.S., with the Munich CC being about the only one I use.

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 1, 2015 9:15 am

Originally Posted by MLCJ (Post 24271804)
I'm sorry I didn't know that the number of posts was relative to experience, guess I was too busy traveling and working. And no, I'm happy to admit I don't frequent many Courtyards, either in Europe or the U.S., with the Munich CC being about the only one I use.

Many of us are busy traveling and working so before you spout off on something you just have admitted you have no experience in, it would be wiser for you to let those who are far more seasoned than you advise those who don't know that much about the program or its constituent components.

As for C'Ys in general and your lack of experience with respect to this brand, all I have to say is, goody for you. :rolleyes:

It is obvious from the above discussions that the named C/Ys - Stockholm and Center City Munich are general exceptions to the brand with respect to a comped breakfast for Platinum members.

As for the Category 3 C/Y Munich East, it appears that the hotel staff have just thrown up their hands and let everyone from the 2 properties have free breakfast because they are at a loss as to how to restrict entrance to the joint breakfast area. What I can advise is that in Chicago, there is a joint SS and R/I and they do restrict access to each other's breakfast area (at least when I last visited) -- although there is a workaround.

P.S. -- To the poster inquiring about free breakfast at the C/Y Munich East -- as I noted above, I was a Platinum at that C/Y and although many have now mentioned that you can get free breakfast at this property, the hotel may be extra vigilant when you go -- as rooms are at a premium during Oktoberfest -- something I am sure that you know with respect to the many cancellation restrictions, even on award rooms. Although they may have been able to obtain this perk, I would not count on it because of the foregoing -- in addition, FWIW, I was not permitted the free breakfast, perhaps because I visited the property when it was new and they were still formulating the rules, or perhaps it was because of the time of year that I visited Munich -- for like you, I went during Oktoberfest -- so bear this in mind.

Exdon Feb 1, 2015 9:31 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24272056)
As for the Category 3 C/Y Munich East, it appears that the hotel staff have just thrown up their hands and let everyone from the 2 properties have free breakfast because they are at a loss as to how to restrict entrance to the joint breakfast area.

Not everyone, Plats staying at CY only. Area Access follows usual Routine: One has to pass the brekkie dragon, give room number and so on.
In the first year there was no free brekkie, but ongoing complaints from Plats and mentioning free brekkie at CY CC made them change their mind.

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 1, 2015 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 24272137)
Not everyone, Plats staying at CY only. Area Access follows usual Routine: One has to pass the brekkie dragon, give room number and so on.
In the first year there was no free brekkie, but ongoing complaints from Plats and mentioning free brekkie at CY CC made them change their mind.

Thanks very much Exdon!

Since you are based in Europe, besides the 2 Munich properties, and the aforementioned Stockholm property, are there any other C/Ys in Europe that you are aware of that extend this courtesy to Platinum members, and I assume at least 1 of their guests?

Many thanks!

ohmark Feb 1, 2015 10:38 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 24270345)
I stayed at the RI where it comps Plat breakfast.

And comps everybody, including those with no status. Free breakfast is a Residence Inn brand standard; not a plat benefit.

Exdon Feb 1, 2015 10:44 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24272156)
Since you are based in Europe, besides the 2 Munich properties, and the aforementioned Stockholm property, are there any other C/Ys in Europe that you are aware of that extend this courtesy to Platinum members, and I assume at least 1 of their guests?

No, I'm not aware of other CYs with free brekkie for Plats in Europe. Prefer FS hotels by far and stay there whenever possible.
Munich is special with poor FS and nice CYs inc. free brekkie.

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 1, 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 24272532)
No, I'm not aware of other CYs with free brekkie for Plats in Europe. Prefer FS hotels by far and stay there whenever possible.
Munich is special with poor FS and nice CYs inc. free brekkie.

I agree. The Renaissance and the F/S are not bad but they are in the 'burbs near the University district, as I recall.

The airport property, like all the chain properties with Airport in their name for this city, except the Hilton which is actually on site of the airport (former Kempinski), is nowhere near the airport and either in a different city or a rural area -- and which all charge for parking -- are awful.

SkiAdcock Feb 1, 2015 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24273209)
The airport property, like all the chain properties with Airport in their name for this city, except the Hilton which is actually on site of the airport (former Kempinski), is nowhere near the airport and either in a different city or a rural area -- and which all charge for parking -- are awful.

While the airport Marriott location isn't next to the airport it recently underwent a refurb & got a good (if brief) report on 12/09/14.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23969664-post79.html

Cheers.

Exdon Feb 1, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 24273209)
The Renaissance and the F/S are not bad but they are in the 'burbs near the University district, as I recall.

Renaissance is long gone. It was converted to Pullmann years ago.

SkiAdcock Feb 1, 2015 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 24273695)
Renaissance is long gone. It was converted to Pullmann years ago.

NJ mentioned his last stay in MUC area was three years ago so he probably doesn't know that. It's one of the reasons on all threads we look for recent updates on properties as well as brekkie/exec lounge policy.

Cheers