FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Munich, Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/840529-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-munich-germany.html)

cimber Jul 1, 2008 3:13 pm

Marriott-family hotels in Munich

I have the choice of staing in Mariott City or the Renaissance Hotel in Munich. Which one would you choose?

By the way? Do the Munich hotels have lounge facilities?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Regards
cimber

bkramt1 Jul 1, 2008 3:26 pm

3rd option: Courtyard City Center. It's a couple blocks from the central train station and very convenient to the train and subway connections - and walking distance to Oktoberfest.

tmeyer Jul 2, 2008 11:00 pm

All the MUC Marriott properties are quite un-exciting. REN and MAR are in the same location.
I would just Priceline and see what come out.

tmeyer Jul 3, 2008 12:20 am

@dg4255
Try the Ren in Dusseldorf - way worse than the MUC properties...

hann Jul 3, 2008 2:36 am

If I had the choice I'd always take the Marriott during the summer month.

The lack of air condition in the Renaissance can be a pain if the weather is like this week.

Starbucks Jul 3, 2008 5:22 am

Imho no need to priceline a Munich stay at the moment as long as you are staying on a weekend and use rate code "ytb" to get the 100 € "Extra Euros Weekend Coupon".

hjboudre Jul 4, 2008 10:55 am

We stayed at the Courtyard City Center in December and it was a nice property, and very close to the tourist-center of town. The neighborhood was a little colorful but not intimidating. Also, it's about a block and a half from the train station if you're traveling by rail. PM me if you have other questions about it. As a tourist, I think it's the best location.

hjboudre Jul 4, 2008 10:57 am

We stayed at the Courtyard and it's much closer to the tourist items if the other amenities aren't as important. Also a block from the Hauptbanhof if travelling by Train

Counsellor Jul 9, 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 9952770)
Counsellor, is the Ren still routinely upgrading golds and plats to suites?

Yes, in my experience, if they have the room. Did so as recently as last Saturday, but a couple months back I didn't get the upgrade since the place was packed.

The Ren is/was a business hotel, packed during the week but with lots of space on weekends when businessmen (of both sexes) aren't traveling. Lately, though, they seem to be marketing to tour groups and the like (and soccer fans) to try to get more fill on weekends, and in such cases the upgrade opportunity might be limited.

The breakfasts are still absolutely outstanding, though!

Global_Hi_Flyer Aug 8, 2008 2:42 pm

Any advice on the MUC airport Marriott for a MR in a couple of weeks?

MacDaddie Aug 8, 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 10172839)
Any advice on the MUC airport Marriott for a MR in a couple of weeks?

-------

Just be aware that it isn't a airport hotel, IMO...have to take a cab about a 15 minute ride from the airport. There is supposedly a shuttle but when I called they told me that they'd call a cab!! It was a reasonable rate (I guess they have some sort of deal with a local cab company), but on the way back to the airport the next morning the front desk clerk wouldn't put the cab on my bill and I ended up paying about 23 euros for the ride back to the airport. Turns out they are supposed to give you some coupon otherwise the cab just turns on the meter.

I got there way too late and left way too early to comment on anything else.

allset2travel Aug 9, 2008 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by hann (Post 9975716)
If I had the choice I'd always take the Marriott during the summer month.

The lack of air condition in the Renaissance can be a pain if the weather is like this week.

The Ren Munich: During my last stay in May 07 (thought it would NOT be hot enough to worry about air/con), Even in May, I had to ask for a floor fan. Just because of no air/con, I will look for other property next time.

Counsellor Aug 18, 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 10176563)
Just because of no air/con, I will look for other property next time.

As I noted in another thread, when I stayed at the Renaissance at the end of July I had a room with a portable (on wheels) room air conditioner that worked quite well. The others in my party also had a similar air conditioner in their room.

Not sure how many of the rooms have been outfitted that way, but air conditioning has indeed (at last) come to the Renaissance!

LessO2 Oct 18, 2008 6:10 pm

I've seen all the Munich Marriott threads, wondering if there are some more recent experiences with the Marriott and/or Renaissance Munich.

I have a very quick stay, arrive mid-Saturday afternoon, leave mid-morning on Sunday.

I'm a Plat, hoping to get an upgrade (i'd imagine one weekend night won't be a big deal), but on this stay I'm chiefly looking for a comfortable bed and some nice walking around the property (including somewhere to get a beer, maybe a couple of touristy things).

Starbucks Oct 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 10541810)
I have a very quick stay, arrive mid-Saturday afternoon, leave mid-morning on Sunday.

I'm a Plat, hoping to get an upgrade (i'd imagine one weekend night won't be a big deal), but on this stay I'm chiefly looking for a comfortable bed and some nice walking around the property (including somewhere to get a beer, maybe a couple of touristy things).

If your focus is to score an upgrade: Stay at the REN. Munich REN does usually upgrade Plats into "suites". However the REN does show age.

I have yet to receive a noticeable upgrade at the Marriott but i prefer it over the REN as i am a huge fan of their modern and brand-new Wellness-area.

Both hotels are basically next to each other so walking options are the same. However i would recommend not to walk around the hotels as there are much nicer areas in Munich to walk around. Just walk 2 mins to "Nordfriedhof"-subway station and use the "U6" to get to downtown Munich (Marienplatz) or the Nightlife spot (Münchner Freiheit).