Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Nov 30, 19, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Concierge email: [email protected]

As of June 2022 :

Chambers Club opening hours:
Opens at 7am until 10pm
Clubs Breakfast : Weekdays : 7am-11am, Weekends: 7am-12pm
Clubs Pre-Dinner Snacks : Daily : 5:30pm-7:30pm Hot snacks, Cold snacks, and dessert buffet including complimentary house spirits.

As a part of Club experience you may bring one additional guest to the club with you and any additional will be subject to Club access fee of 80 per person.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Jan 20, 13, 2:47 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Posts: 1,871
British Museum is about a 20 minute walk, or two stops on the Picadilly line to Holborn, or you can take bus 73, 390 or 10.

Big Ben, National Gallery, London Eye and Buckingham Palace are all around the same place. 40-50 minute walk from the hotel, or a few stops on Picadilly (Leicester Square) or Northern Line (Charing Cross branch to Charing Cross), of the 10 bus.

Tower of London is out east. Circle line around to Tower Hill.

The journey planner from TFL is handy.
GregWTravels is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 2:19 pm
  #152  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Posts: 104
Last minute points stay... upgraded to chambers junior suite.... bit late for eats but sat in chambers lounge knocking back a few beers. Can hardly see the ceiling its that high...
yorkshire exile is offline  
Old Feb 26, 13, 4:09 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,687
Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
Last minute points stay... upgraded to chambers junior suite.... bit late for eats but sat in chambers lounge knocking back a few beers. Can hardly see the ceiling its that high...
Enjoy - by far one of my favorite hotels in the world.
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Old Mar 17, 13, 3:22 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 4,261
I just finished a two-night stay on points (80K - resisted the invitation to upgrade with points or cash on the reservation). Upon check-in I was told that I was upgraded from the basic room I reserved to the best available Barlow room, but this was all they would do for a PLT. Even the duty manager recited the MAR rules that that upgrades were at the discretion of the hotel and they would not upgrade me to a Chambers room: "All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel."

The Barlow room (larger king) was fine. I had mixed feelings about the Chambers Lounge. At breakfast on my first day (a Saturday, around 9am), most of the tables were dirty and no one was going around cleaning them. Hot offerings were just scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage. No one greeted me nor offered to bring coffee/tea, even though it was not busy, At evening cocktail time, the canapes were limited and definitely on the lighter side -- no comparison to the more substantial offerings at Asian properties, but certainly better than at American hotels. The Chambers lounge was definitely quieter and more relaxed than taking breakfast or cocktails out in the Booking Room restaurant.

It was certainly convenient to the Tube -- with just a 15-minute ride to Paddington for the Heathrow Express, and easy travel to the other popular spots on London.
wxguy is offline  
Old Mar 17, 13, 7:13 am
  #155  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 70,188
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 3:09 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,447
Just back from another excellent stay at what is becoming my favourite Marriott property in London.

No Chambers room this time, probably because the hotel was full over the weekend, but a nice Barlow room, access to the Chambers Club where service is excellent, and something that they've just started, a tour of the hotel by a Blue Badge guide.

These are available daily and it is an excellent 90 minutes. We had a very personable and knowledgable guide giving us a great tour of the hotel and telling us the story from the inception in 1860s to today.

These are open to people not staying at the hotel as well, and at least for guests they are complementary. I would strongly recommend.
thegoderic is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 6:07 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,687
What are people's success rate with getting upgrades to a Chambers room?
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 4:07 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,447
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
What are people's success rate with getting upgrades to a Chambers room?
I'm running at something like 75% over a dozen stays.

I've only had Barlow Rooms when the hotel is fully booked so it seems to me that they try to give me a Chambers room whenever possible.
thegoderic is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 7:12 am
  #159  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 70,188
Originally Posted by thegoderic;20933759 [I
and something that they've just started, a tour of the hotel by a Blue Badge guide. These are available daily and it is an excellent 90 minutes. We had a very personable and knowledgable guide giving us a great tour of the hotel and telling us the story from the inception in 1860s to today. These are open to people not staying at the hotel as well, and at least for guests they are complementary. I would strongly recommend[/I].
Thanks for the heads up on this! Do you know what the fee is for non-guests? I normally stay at Grosvenor House, but would be interested in the tour.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:18 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the heads up on this! Do you know what the fee is for non-guests? I normally stay at Grosvenor House, but would be interested in the tour.

Cheers.
Or possibly for elites? In April we stayed at Maida Vale, partly because there were three of us and IIRC the fee for a rollaway in any of the downtown Marriotts was quite high (I recall that one was 34 pounds) while at Maida Vale we got two queens for normal rate. However, the last night the third left from King's Cross station and I made a point of walking over to St. Pancras to wander around the ground floor and see what I could see. Seemed pretty spectacular, I'd love to stay there sometime. The pics don't do that main staircase justice.
kar120c is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 5:08 pm
  #161  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 70,188
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20938376-post2930.html

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:28 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DTW
Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 214
A bit late on reporting, but my wife and I spent five nights (Sun - Fri) at the St Pancras in April, using points to pay for the basic Barlow room. On arrival, the front desk clerk (who was friendly and helpful) subtly made it clear that there would be no further upgrade from a "superior" Barlow room, something to the effect that "Your room is especially selected and I cannot change it" when the room had not yet been cleaned on our arrival at about noon.

Lounge was elegant and impressive in dcor, but the tables proved to be uncomfortable if one partakes of a meal (i.e., breakfast). Of the eight or so persons working the lounge over the week, most were competent and friendly. Two persons, both of whom appeared to be in an internship for a hotel management degree, had serious attitude issues and tended to forget the whole customer service idea. Specifics are not terribly important, suffice it to say that these two were anomalies compared to the rest of the staff.

One thing I did not like was having to rely on the staff to provide any liquids (drinks, coffee, tea, bottled water). The aforementioned two persons scolded me rather harshly for opening the glass-front refrigerator to remove a bottle of water. Generally, service was relatively prompt, but we did have to wait several times to be served water, wine, or coffee, as it was clear we were not allowed to serve ourselves.

The best available Barlow room was large for Europe, but nothing that set it apart from other hotels.

In general, the exterior of the hotel, the lobby, and lounge were impressive structures, but we have enjoyed other hotels in London much more. Considering the price differential for St. Pancras versus some others, it doesn't seem worth it.
ExArkie is offline  
Old Jun 18, 13, 7:56 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,687
Originally Posted by ExArkie
A bit late on reporting, but my wife and I spent five nights (Sun - Fri) at the St Pancras in April, using points to pay for the basic Barlow room. On arrival, the front desk clerk (who was friendly and helpful) subtly made it clear that there would be no further upgrade from a "superior" Barlow room, something to the effect that "Your room is especially selected and I cannot change it" when the room had not yet been cleaned on our arrival at about noon.

Lounge was elegant and impressive in dcor, but the tables proved to be uncomfortable if one partakes of a meal (i.e., breakfast). Of the eight or so persons working the lounge over the week, most were competent and friendly. Two persons, both of whom appeared to be in an internship for a hotel management degree, had serious attitude issues and tended to forget the whole customer service idea. Specifics are not terribly important, suffice it to say that these two were anomalies compared to the rest of the staff.

One thing I did not like was having to rely on the staff to provide any liquids (drinks, coffee, tea, bottled water). The aforementioned two persons scolded me rather harshly for opening the glass-front refrigerator to remove a bottle of water. Generally, service was relatively prompt, but we did have to wait several times to be served water, wine, or coffee, as it was clear we were not allowed to serve ourselves.

The best available Barlow room was large for Europe, but nothing that set it apart from other hotels.

In general, the exterior of the hotel, the lobby, and lounge were impressive structures, but we have enjoyed other hotels in London much more. Considering the price differential for St. Pancras versus some others, it doesn't seem worth it.
I am going to disagree. Sounds like since you were not upgraded to a better room and that you had to wait for beverage service, your stay was ruined.

The St. Pancras is an amazing hotel - yes the Barlow rooms are very typical Ren rooms, but they are clean, comfortable and identical to any other Marriott you would stay at. The building itself, the lounge, and the lobby push this hotel over the top for me when comparing to other London Marriott props.
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:15 am
  #164  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 70,188
I appreciate ExArkie's opinion & input re: the service, etc. I think pretty much everyone agrees that StP is a beautiful building, but other things also need to be considered, especially when a property commands a premium. Hopefully the service issues & lack of upgrade is an exception rather than the norm.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jun 18, 13, 12:22 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DTW
Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I am going to disagree. Sounds like since you were not upgraded to a better room and that you had to wait for beverage service, your stay was ruined.

The St. Pancras is an amazing hotel - yes the Barlow rooms are very typical Ren rooms, but they are clean, comfortable and identical to any other Marriott you would stay at. The building itself, the lounge, and the lobby push this hotel over the top for me when comparing to other London Marriott props.
Just for the record, I did not say that our stay was ruined. I actually quite enjoyed our time, but I did not see where this particular hotel did anything to deserve the premium price and reputation. Not a bad hotel and certainly architecturally impressive, just not anything that seemed special in terms of amenities or room. The lounge is attractive, but again nothing to merit a premium price or reputation...at least not on our visit.
ExArkie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread