FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/833772-renaissance-st-pancras-london-uk-master-thread.html)

rahmanbar May 27, 2006 11:26 am

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Another Ren for London-

http://marriott.com/news/detail.mi?marrArticle=128390

GregWTravels Jun 12, 2008 11:17 am

Renaissance St. Pancras - London (Opened 2011)

I haven't seen a thread on this, and was walking by St. Pancras station today and noticed the signage, so I looked it up and thought I would post.

Renaissance St Pancras - London

Marriott International and Manhattan Loft Corporation redevelop Gilbert Scott Masterpiece

Marriott International has announced that its restoration of the former Midland Grand Hotel at St. Pancras Chambers will be branded as a Renaissance hotel, under a management contract with Manhattan Loft Corporation. The hotel is due to open in 2009.

St. Pancras Chambers is a landmark, 323,000ft2, Grade I listed, Victorian building, owned by London & Continental Railways. Manhattan Loft Corporation, with London & Continental, is responsible for the restoration and redevelopment of the hotel, as well as the addition of 67 new apartments at the top of the building.

When completed, the hotel will be called the Renaissance St. Pancras Hotel London. Plans call for the 245-room hotel to include two restaurants, two bars, a health and leisure centre, a business centre, a ballroom, a function room and eight meeting rooms.

GregWTravels Sep 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Found this story today at Hotel Chatter. Looks like the opening is now 2010.

The plan is for 245 rooms (52 in the old section, the rest in a new extension), two restaurants, two bars, health center, ballroom, heaps of function rooms and meeting rooms...and the rest. Originally scheduled for a 2009 opening, the latest news from the Marriott is that it won't be ready until 2010.

Horace Sep 29, 2008 5:10 pm

It's interesting that the Marriott press release is from May 19, 2006. That's well over two years ago.

http://www.marriott.com/news/detail....Article=128390

GregWTravels May 4, 2010 9:08 am

Obviously the open date of this has been pushed back from when I originally posted, however work seems to be getting close to complete.

In the Guardian there was an article on the apartment portion of the building, which makes a few brief mentions of the hotel opening next year.

Here is the article, and associated photo spread.

From next year, the first two floors of this wonderful salmon-pink building will form a 244-room, five-star hotel called Renaissance St Pancras. Above this sit 67 now-completed flats.

From next year, when the hotel opens, residents will be able to get room service.

GregWTravels Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Now opening May 2011. Marriott News Centre reporting "St Pancras The eagerly anticipated St Pancras Renaissance Hotel London will officially open in London’s Kings Cross in May 2011 following a £150 million renovation by Manhattan Loft Corporation in conjunction with London & Continental Railways."

Greg

GlennTheBaker Sep 22, 2010 1:42 pm

www.marriott.com/lonpr

GregWTravels Dec 2, 2010 7:44 am

Michelin-star-holding chef, Marcus Wareing, will be launching his newest restaurant inside the St. Pancras. The Gilbert Scott, a 120-cover restaurant and 52-seater bar will be overseen by Wareing’s protégé and sous chef, Chantelle Nicholson.

From R-Life and London Appetizer.

thegoderic Jan 9, 2011 4:23 am

The opening has been brought forward to March and I have just made a 4 night reward reservation over the Easter weekend. It's "only" a Cat 7 property as well, so one of the less expensive London options, points wise.

Although the location is less than perfect, I am looking forward to trying it out.

DYKWIA Jan 9, 2011 5:24 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic (Post 15617112)
The opening has been brought forward to March and I have just made a 4 night reward reservation over the Easter weekend. It's "only" a Cat 7 property as well, so one of the less expensive London options, points wise.

Although the location is less than perfect, I am looking forward to trying it out.

See you there :) By coincidence, I've just booked 22-24 April.

twa777 Jan 9, 2011 6:40 am

The photos of the property look amazing. I normally don't stay in that part of London, but I may need to go out of my way to spend a couple nights there sometime this year.

I hope the basic "Barlow House" rooms have at least some of the character of the rest of the building.

Nottingham Nick Jan 9, 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by thegoderic (Post 15617112)
.....It's "only" a Cat 7 property as well, so one of the less expensive London options, points wise....

It may be "cheap" for reward stays, but it isn't very cheap for paid stays on the dates I have looked at. :eek:

Nick

thegoderic Jan 9, 2011 11:00 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 15617247)
See you there :) By coincidence, I've just booked 22-24 April.

If you're there will I know who you are :)

lexdevil Feb 3, 2011 9:29 pm

Renaissance St. Pancras Award Booking Quirk

Thought it would be fun to try the new/old St. Pancras hotel this August instead of our usual visit to County Hall. Used the Marriott website to request one room for three people using points in August. There was an available room, so I booked it and the points were deducted from my account. Because the room was listed as Double or 2 Twins, I requested a rollaway for our teenage son.

Thought no more of it until today when I was reviewing my upcoming reservations. When I looked at my St. Pancras booking, it read: rollaway requested, not guaranteed. That struck me as odd, so I clicked on the room description and found that the room that I booked for three people is restricted to two, and that no rollaways are allowed.

I do know that there are plenty of rooms like this in Marriott's European properties. I just don't understand how I could have managed to book a room that is limited to two occupants when my request was for a room for three. It's a good thing I looked at the room description, because there was nothing else to warn of the problem.

The hotel has plenty of rooms that can sleep three. In fact, the only rooms available for cash on my dates sleep three. They don't even list this class of room as available. Beyond this, I expect there is a decent chance I would be upgraded to the larger room anyway, based on status. At the same time, I don't want to show up only to be told that my son has no place to stay.

Called platinum reservations and the agent said all she was empowered to do was refund my points. Not the solution I wanted, especially given that I am likely to receive the minor upgrade to the slightly larger room when I show up (I simply want to be able to count on it). She had me call customer service. The CS agent agreed with me that the best solution would be for the hotel to upgrade me to the larger room. The CS agent tried calling the hotel, but got no answer because it will not open until March 14. She is now emailing the opening GM to see what can be done. I will report on the outcome.

My questions:
1)Has anyone had the Marriott reservations system offer a room that could not hold the number of people in their request?
2)If so, was it an award stay?
3)If so, how did Marriott resolve the problem?

ukchris Feb 4, 2011 10:47 am

I booked an award stay at the Forest of Arden hotel, it wouldn't let me book a room for more than two people but I wanted two doubles as we were travelling with kids. Platinum reservations connected me to the hotel so we could get them to guarantee a room with two doubles and everything worked out just fine.

I'd try to get in touch with the hotel to confirm what they have available either by calling direct or through reservations, good luck!