Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

As of June 2022 :

Chambers Club opening hours:
Opens at 7am until 10pm
Clubs Breakfast : Weekdays : 7am-11am, Weekends: 7am-12pm
Clubs Pre-Dinner Snacks : Daily : 5:30pm-7:30pm Hot snacks, Cold snacks, and dessert buffet including complimentary house spirits.

As a part of Club experience you may bring one additional guest to the club with you and any additional will be subject to Club access fee of 80 per person.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:37 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
1) How much was the package?
2) How much was the upgrade?
3) Was the evening food enough for dinner?
4) Were the drinks self-serve? Do you recall the wine?
4) ... When I was there in December, the Staff really wanted to serve the drinks (cf comments about great service), but if you insisting on pouring yourself they weren't going to stop you. The would come around and offer to refill glasses of wine, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by stc
4) ... When I was there in December, the Staff really wanted to serve the drinks (cf comments about great service), but if you insisting on pouring yourself they weren't going to stop you. The would come around and offer to refill glasses of wine, etc.
Do you remember what was served?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
1) How much was the package?
2) How much was the upgrade?
3) Was the evening food enough for dinner?
4) Were the drinks self-serve? Do you recall the wine?
Was there a couple of years ago. The evening food consisted of various better than average hot and cold appetizers. IMO, not sufficient for dinner, unless you wanted to eat light. But, in the club, ask for a menu and you can order dinner from the restaurants, which is then delivered to the lounge. After a tiring day, this was a truly delightful experience.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:33 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Do you remember what was served?
No, sorry, I don't.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Considering this hotel for an upcoming family trip to Europe. (5 days in London)
Booking two rooms with points. (Plat member)
Currently it does not appear to work out as I have 5 of us with 2 teens and a 12 yr old.
All of the rewards rooms have max occupancy of 2 even the Superior and Premier rooms that have a cash upcharge. A suite is bookable with a L950 upcharge. (no thanks)

I already have a points booking that works at the Kensington but really want to stay here.
My hope is that post Aug 1, I will be able to use SNAs to secure one of my rooms to a suite. (occupancy works and Chamber Club access for three in that room, I will "officially" be in the other room granting that room Chamber club access) Hopefully SNAs will be functional at Marriott hotels right away, and Chambers Suites are an option.
My plan is to make another booking at this hotel, apply the SNA and if it clears I would cancel the Kensington booking, if not, I cancel this one. (Cancellations allowed up to 1 day before arrival)

Anyone see any issue with this strategy?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by shawneve
Considering this hotel for an upcoming family trip to Europe. (5 days in London)
Currently it does not appear to work out as I have 5 of us with 2 teens and a 12 yr old.
All of the rewards rooms have max occupancy of 2 even the Superior and Premier rooms that have a cash upcharge. A suite is bookable with a L950 upcharge. (no thanks)

I already have a points booking that works at the Kensington but really want to stay here.
My hope is that post Aug 1, I will be able to use SNAs to secure one of my rooms to a suite. (occupancy works and Chamber Club access for three in that room, I will "officially" be in the other room granting that room Chamber club access) Hopefully SNAs will be functional at Marriott hotels right away, and Chambers Suites are an option.
My plan is to make another booking at this hotel, apply the SNA and if it clears I would cancel the Kensington booking, if not, I cancel this one. (Cancellations allowed up to 1 day before arrival)

Well, this hotel will cost more points after August 1. When are you planning on staying? Have you looked at cash rates, including the member packages? Do you absolutely need to be here or could you do say the Marriott Maida Vale, which is a lower award-redemption category and has good cash rates?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:20 pm

Well, this hotel will cost more points after August 1. When are you planning on staying? Have you looked at cash rates, including the member packages? Do you absolutely need to be here or could you do say the Marriott Maida Vale, which is a lower award-redemption category and has good cash rates?
I don't like the location of that property and would prefer my existing reservation at the Kensington.
I like what I have read about the St Pancras, and the Chambers Club.
I guess I can always make a booking now and see what I can do come Aug 1 with it.
My stay is towards the end of August.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT

I've stayed here many times (will be back next month for 5 nights) including one time with my family (wife, son (13), daughter (10) ) on points with two chambers rooms (one Jr. Suite, one Grand Jr). We paid a nightly supplement for each chambers room.

Not clear when exactly you are traveling relative to the August 1st program switch, but some comments/advice:

1. The Barlow rooms really are too small to fit 3 people. No space for a roll-away.
2. You should ask over in the SPG forum if you can use an SNA on an award/points stay. I have no idea if you can but it is worth confirming that this will even be a theoretical option.
3. From what I understand, you won't know if your SNA clears until, at the earliest, 5 days before you arrive (this could be wrong but that's what I gather from the SPG forum). I would definitely book your reservation and your back-up plans on 2 different accounts to make sure they aren't canceled out by the hotels as duplicates.
4. I am skeptical that this hotel will participate in SNAs because they currently don't upgrade elites to Chambers rooms (which is against policy) and they only offer Chambers's lounge access to Platinums (which is also against policy). Thus, given their history of not following the Marriott corporate line and how precious the Chambers rooms seem to be to them, I could easily see them refusing to honor SNAs or just not doing so in practice. That said, you'll know come August 1st.
5. There's a chance that after 8/1 you will be able to reserve a chamber's room with just points. It will likely be pretty expensive, but I listened to an interview with the SVP of Loyalty at Marriott in which he seemed to suggest that hotels would also be offering premium awards and they would be getting rid of the whole cash supplement game.

My advice: I would book at least 1 chambers rooms with the supplement right now (sounds like you are fine doing 1 chambers and 1 barlow, but just FYI those are two separate wings of the hotel). Once August 1st comes along you can reassess and see if your SNA idea is even a valid option at that point.

Finally, I know you don't want to pay the supplement, but for what it's worth I am glad I did with my family as they really enjoyed the hotel and the club. There's really nothing else in the Marriott empire in London that compares to the Chambers rooms and club.
lexdevil likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
I've stayed here many times (will be back next month for 5 nights) including one time with my family (wife, son (13), daughter (10) ) on points with two chambers rooms (one Jr. Suite, one Grand Jr). We paid a nightly supplement for each chambers room.

Not clear when exactly you are traveling relative to the August 1st program switch, but some comments/advice:

1. The Barlow rooms really are too small to fit 3 people. No space for a roll-away.
2. You should ask over in the SPG forum if you can use an SNA on an award/points stay. I have no idea if you can but it is worth confirming that this will even be a theoretical option.
3. From what I understand, you won't know if your SNA clears until, at the earliest, 5 days before you arrive (this could be wrong but that's what I gather from the SPG forum). I would definitely book your reservation and your back-up plans on 2 different accounts to make sure they aren't canceled out by the hotels as duplicates.
4. I am skeptical that this hotel will participate in SNAs because they currently don't upgrade elites to Chambers rooms (which is against policy) and they only offer Chambers's lounge access to Platinums (which is also against policy). Thus, given their history of not following the Marriott corporate line and how precious the Chambers rooms seem to be to them, I could easily see them refusing to honor SNAs or just not doing so in practice. That said, you'll know come August 1st.
5. There's a chance that after 8/1 you will be able to reserve a chamber's room with just points. It will likely be pretty expensive, but I listened to an interview with the SVP of Loyalty at Marriott in which he seemed to suggest that hotels would also be offering premium awards and they would be getting rid of the whole cash supplement game.

My advice: I would book at least 1 chambers rooms with the supplement right now (sounds like you are fine doing 1 chambers and 1 barlow, but just FYI those are two separate wings of the hotel). Once August 1st comes along you can reassess and see if your SNA idea is even a valid option at that point.

Finally, I know you don't want to pay the supplement, but for what it's worth I am glad I did with my family as they really enjoyed the hotel and the club. There's really nothing else in the Marriott empire in London that compares to the Chambers rooms and club.
Thanks for your feedback.
I am a longtime SPG and Marriott Plat so very familiar with how SPG has been handling the SNAs.
Basically, around 2PM hotel time each day, starting 5 days out, the 'system' checks for the room type you selected as your upgrade choice. (sometimes there are multiple) if that room is available for the length of your stay, it gets confirmed and your reservation is updated.
As you have mentioned, the wildcard is whether the St Pancras will fully participate in the program as they have a hstory of making their own rules.

The other reservation I hold is at the Kensigton where I have secured a standard room and a King + Sofa Bed Lounge Access room. (for a cash supplement) This guarantees the occupancy I need plus my whole family also gets lounge access as my wife and I will be in the standard room and the 3 kids in the Lounge access room.
Based on reviews, location, ability to secure the right occupancy and lounge access, I am content with this reservation.
My plan as outlined previous was to see if I could secure similar at the St Pancras. This wasn't even possible before the mid year program merge. My stay is in August, post merge.
So, theoretically if the Chambers Junior Suite were to be made avail via SNAs, I could have a 3 person room that grants Chambers Club Access. My wife and I could 'officially' be occupying the standard room but get Chambers club access because of my status.
I would have 3 or 4 days of 'SNA checking' to see if the above comes through. If not, I cancel the reservations at the St Pancras and use my original reservation.
In my experience the SNA will either go through the first day or not at all.
The advantage is if the room is still in inventory 5 days out, the 'system' claims it for you, and your upgrade entitlement is not bound by 'subjective criteria' when you check in. (as seems to be the case sometimes)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Sounds like you've got a good plan. Good luck!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver

1) Will you have your annual 50+ nights in toward your elites status for 2018? If not it appears (note I said appears) that you will not have 5 SNAs. As best I can tell from reading the SNA material and anecdotal evidence from SPG members, SNAs are not really a Plat or PP benefit although they do have parallel milestones. SNAs are awarded after achieving 50 and 75 nights STAY thresholds. So for me as a LTP, soon to be LTPP, I personally do not expect to see any SNAs unless they count my CC nights, which by their use of the word "STAYS" I ASSUME they will not. I am an realist and when I make assumptions tend to do so on the negative side thus lowering my expectations; if they differ, then I will be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed, which is a nice segway to...

2) There are a lot of people who have made or are making assumptions that have not or may not held/hold up. Doing so is setting oneself up for disappointment and possible tirade of FT rants that Marriott screwed me over; when in fact one's assumptions led to that.

3) Another huge question with regard to this particular property is, going forward to whom will they grant access to the Chambers Club?

Right now it is Plat and above, but under the new program if they keep it PLat and above then the Chambers Club will be swamped. Or will they up it to access only for PP and Ambassadors, just Ambassadors, or restrict it to only Chambers Club rooms/suites. I stay here annually and look forward to finding out the answers to these questions, AND am making no guesses or assumptions at this point. My next stay won't be until fall 2019 so I have plenty of time to find out. FWIW I usually pay for my stays at this hotel as I can usually find fairly reasonable rates by London standards, and sometimes St. Ermin's too. Sorry, Kensington is not on my radar so no comment on it.

Enjoy your stays in london, and for sanity's sake you may wish to plan on using you SNAs later in 2018 or sometime in 2019.

Update: I just noticed your subsequent post while I was writing the above (which i left unedited). Sounds like a pretty good plan as I guess you already have SNAs ro are sure you will by then. Having a back-up plan for Kensington gives you insurance, so you are good to go in that regard.

If you have insight or feedback about what I said about 50/75 night STAY accrual toward SNAs in #1 above, I would appreciate it.

Thx - Bob

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 19, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
1) Will you have your annual 50+ nights in toward your elites status for 2018? If not it appears (note I said appears) that you will not have 5 SNAs. As best I can tell from reading the SNA material and anecdotal evidence from SPG members, SNAs are not really a Plat or PP benefit although they do have parallel milestones. SNAs are awarded after achieving 50 and 75 nights STAY thresholds. So for me as a LTP, soon to be LTPP, I personally do not expect to see any SNAs unless they count my CC nights, which by their use of the word "STAYS" I ASSUME they will not. I am an realist and when I make assumptions tend to do so on the negative side thus lowering my expectations; if they differ, then I will be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed, which is a nice segway to...

If you have insight or feedback about what I said about 50/75 night STAY accrual toward SNAs in #1 above, I would appreciate it.
I already have 10 SNAs for this year. They were earned by achieving SPG Platinum Status with 50 nights last year. (as opposed to someone getting Plat after 25 stays) They expire at the end of the year.
They definitely are a Platinum Benefit but only if you made Platinum with 50 nights. I can't say if Marriott Plats were given SNAs when they linked accounts and were given SPG Plat because I am a 'native SPG Plat'
I guess the confusing part is that in SPG you could be Platinum without hitting 50 nights, but when you do hit 50 you get some additional benefits, and some more at 75.
In the new program, I will now have to hit 75 nights this year to get my same 10 SNAs to use next year.
I assume current Marriott Golds and Plats will be given SNAs to use for the rest of this year when they are given their new Plat or PPlat status in August. (because Marriott is 50 or 75 nights only)
Clear as mud
Hope that helps.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I already have 10 SNAs for this year. They were earned by achieving SPG Platinum Status with 50 nights last year. (as opposed to someone getting Plat after 25 stays) They expire at the end of the year.
They definitely are a Platinum Benefit but only if you made Platinum with 50 nights. I can't say if Marriott Plats were given SNAs when they linked accounts and were given SPG Plat because I am a 'native SPG Plat'
I guess the confusing part is that in SPG you could be Platinum without hitting 50 nights, but when you do hit 50 you get some additional benefits, and some more at 75.
In the new program, I will now have to hit 75 nights this year to get my same 10 SNAs to use next year.
I assume current Marriott Golds and Plats will be given SNAs to use for the rest of this year when they are given their new Plat or PPlat status in August. (because Marriott is 50 or 75 nights only)
Clear as mud
Hope that helps.
Thanks, you answered my question. SNAs are based on nights stayed not status which is what I suspected. So no SNAs for LTP or LTPP unless they actually stay 50 or 75 nights each year. That's Ok with me.

I think one of the big differentiators between those who prefer SPG or MR is that one group values upgrade to suites more whereas the other group values lounge access more. For example, being single and ironically a non-drinker, I prefer MR because of lounge access for the breakfast, light evening meal, and in the case of SPR afternoon tea, and the social aspect, but I also like when I'm upgraded to a better room which almost always happens or suite which happens occasionally. So hence lounge access is more important than upgrades. Yes, SPG Plat get lounge access too, but virtually every non-resort Ren, MR and JW have lounges. All my travel is personal leisure travel, but I have telecommuted for 20 years so I do take my office with me. Also 90% of my travel is international so most of the hotels where I stay have very nice lounges. The majority of domestic lounges are mediocre IMO.

Having said all that, it was actually an effort to get back on topic as the SPR Chambers Club is quite nice and one of my favorite lounges along with a number of Asian lounges, and it is my favorite in Europe. I hope your plan works out and you and your family enjoy London and the Chambers Club.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
I posted this in another thread;

What are chances for a room upgrade if a book a basic room for 5 nights in May on points, as a plat?

What is the under-12 policy, if we come as 2 adults and our kid? Is a roll-away available, what about breakfast? Lounge access?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
So, theoretically if the Chambers Junior Suite were to be made avail via SNAs, I could have a 3 person room that grants Chambers Club Access. My wife and I could 'officially' be occupying the standard room but get Chambers club access because of my status.
I would have 3 or 4 days of 'SNA checking' to see if the above comes through. If not, I cancel the reservations at the St Pancras and use my original reservation.
You may need to adjust your plan, even if it works, and have you and your wife take different rooms and split the kids between the two of you. The Chambers rooms are in an entirely different area of the hotel from the standard Barlow rooms. I think it is highly unlikely that the hotel will allow your children to stay without an adult in their room, especially in a different wing of the hotel from you. Additionally, depending on their age, you may not want to leave your kids unsupervised.

Last edited by lexdevil; Apr 25, 2018 at 7:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.