Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Times Square NYC 2007 - present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Times Square NYC 2007 - present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat LT; Marriott Plat LT; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Gold
Arrow W Times Square NYC 2007 - present [Master Thread]

Sorry, another pseudo upgrade/room availability thread. Prior to checking into the W Times Square this evening, I logged onto SPG to check to see if I my RSVP has already been upgraded, and if there are upgraded rooms to be had. Unfortunately, I was not pre-upgraded, but that seems to be par for the course this year (almost 30 nights in NYC this year, and none of them were upgraded, spanning 4 SPG hotels). Well, web site said that there were plenty of Fantastic/Spectacular/ and Fantastic Suites available. I booked a Wonderful room, which I assume is the lowest class of rooms.

When I checked in, I asked for an upgrade. Nope, we're sold out was the answer. Next, I asked for a King bed room. Nope, none available, we're sold out. I did not argue and proceeded to my room. Logged on the SPG site, and same availability showed up as before, plenty of King bedded rooms, and all of the higher category rooms available. Since I'm only staying 1 night, there should not be a duration of stay issue with upgrade. So I called the manager and asked for a king sized room, and upgrade. Again, was told that we're sold out. I pointed out the web site to him, and he placed me on hold.... finally, he offered me a king room, but no upgrade. I didn't want to argue, so I took the room.

As I have a lot of stays planned for this hotel during the next 2 months, I was wondering what options I should pursue to enhance my upcoming stays:

1. Ask Lurker for help, or complain to corporate about lack of upgrades?
2. Speak with the GM?
3. Chase down the upgrade each and every time (I really don't like this option)
4. Move my business elsewhere.... though I'm not sold on any of the other NYC SPG hotels.
5. Look elsewhere outside of SPG?

Just another hurdle in the game which is getting more difficult to play every year.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 7, 2008 at 3:26 pm Reason: Pre 2007 posts on this hotel are at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670468
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This is such a common issue that many of us have shared recently :| it is indeed somewhat trickery. Here's what they told me in Sydney: Although you see other rooms online, those may include rooms that are not yet available/cleaned. So when you check in, you get the 'best available room' but that may not be the best room available "today" because others might be cleaned later.

I told them to call me when the Suite was cleaned then, and I'd move worked out well!

but really this should be more transparent.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:40 am

The W Times Sq has always treated me very nicely. Though I've never been in a suite there, they've seen to all my other requests, including getting me into a room after arriving on a red-eye flight early in the day when my rez is for the same day. Also, one time I made a mistake with my rez (an award rez), the hotel was sold out for the correct dates, and the hotel agreed to honor my rez for the correct dates. Some things are more important than upgrades I guess, but there's still no reason why you shouldn't get upgraded per the program rules.

-David
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by flyingdagger
...As I have a lot of stays planned for this hotel during the next 2 months, I was wondering what options I should pursue to enhance my upcoming stays:
1a. Ask Lurker for help possibly...if I am in the office, and available, at the time. I wasn't for this one
1b. or complain to corporate about lack of upgrades? definitely
2. Speak with the GM? always a possibility, if you can catch him/her
3. Chase down the upgrade each and every time (I really don't like this option) I would ask once and then pursue #1a, #1b, and #2
4. Move my business elsewhere.... though I'm not sold on any of the other NYC SPG hotels. can't answer this one
5. Look elsewhere outside of SPG? can't answer this one either

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat LT; Marriott Plat LT; Hyatt Diamond; Hertz Gold
Thanks Lurker. I will definitely follow your advice on how to escalate this issue upwards in the future should it happen again.

I'm again at the W NYC TS tonight. I did receive an upgrade this time (from Wonderful room, to Fantastic corner with river views), and didn't have to fight for this. Perhaps since I complained last time, I'm now 'flagged' as a troublemaker and they will now try to appease me, which I'm ok with. Only complaint (minor) is that the SPG website, at my time of checkin, listed Fantastic Suites as being available, but I was not offered one. I don't know if these are considered to be standard suites, but maybe you or someone on FT would know. Anyways, I will continue to give this hotel a chance until they again lapse into non SPG compliantness.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
If you really want to pursue it, call the Platinum Concierge and find out. Also, the hotel would probably be glad to tell you what is considered a standard suite and what isn't.

I don't know, but I'd be surprised if the Fantastic Suites are considered standard suites.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Another reason to escalate now...

I guess that the hotel most have sold those suites because they are not showing as available now.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:25 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
No SPG Gold recognition at W NYC Times Sq

Is this par for the course?

No mention of my status at check-in and certainly no room upgrade. I don't need a Gold keycard envelope but I would like a free bottle of water and a New York Times (instead of the $8 bottle of Voss on my nightstand and the USAT at the door)...
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
I've never had a free bottle of water as a gold or a plat here (can you please tell me where SPG tells us golds or plats get free water?). They also use unique keycard envelopes so there are no gold ones. I have had upgrades here as gold and plat (as gold it was simply to a higher floor, remember, gold doesn't promise an upgrade to another category).
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Asking

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

No mention of my status at check-in and certainly no room upgrade....
It's important to remind the folks at the front desk that you have status.

Many on these boards are uncomfortable asking for an upgraded room. They feel that Starwood should be proactive on this issue. Since we know they're not, it's up to us to gently remind the clerk about our status.

Here's a suggest... When you check-in, just say (with a nice smile), how does this property take care of (gold/platinum). At this point, you're half way there.
I've found that in the past, this gets you a better room. YMMV.

Ask, and you should/may receive.
Don't ask? Don't get.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

No mention of my status at check-in and certainly no room upgrade. I don't need a Gold keycard envelope but I would like a free bottle of water and a New York Times (instead of the $8 bottle of Voss on my nightstand and the USAT at the door)...
Since when is a bottle of water a "published benefit"??

Last edited by ldsant; Dec 5, 2007 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Golds don't get recognition at this property ? Not to worry - Plats don't get it either
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Golds don't get recognition at this property ? Not to worry - Plats don't get it either
Not in my experience
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat

No mention of my status at check-in and certainly no room upgrade.
maybe we should not excepting some gold benefits without guaranteed
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:15 am

I always get a free bottle of water....both when I was gold and now that I'm plat...

didn't know I could get a NYTimes?...?!?1??!!! I hate USAT - it's too stupid for me.

also, I agree with the others, always remind the front desk that you're gold / plat....at check-in I always ask, "do you have my plat number in the system"...that seems to do the trick most of the time.

but sometimes you just need to demand things, like this week in the Sheraton in new orleans, the check-in lady did not give me access to the club lounge, so I directly demanded it...and she was happy to provide it to me with an apology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.