Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:29 pm

As a general observation, if you are going to the Swan or Dolphin for an event, the majority of the event will probably be at the Dolphin so it's pretty convenient to have your room upstairs versus having to go back to the Swan. On the other hand, I have found the Swan to be much quieter and calmer (the Karaoke at the Japanese restaurant not withstanding)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 6:37 am

I like to request a balcony room at the dolphin facing Epcot. You can watch the show from your balcony in the evening.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Thanks.

I stayed at Swan about 15 years ago with ex-GF.
So I may stay at Dolphin this time but I may still feel some nostalgia of her
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Any recent experience with getting the Resort Fee waived (SPG Gold) at the Swan? I had two stays there last month and that was not one of the options. My experience at the Dolphin in several previous stays this year is that they do waive the resort fee there. Are they just not consistent? I did (politely) ask about the difference when checking in but didn't really get an answer except that it was Westin policy.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Whatever one is the Westin is very nice. Totally can tell the difference between the Sheraton and Westin.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres

I've stayed at both recently and there's little difference. The Swan has higher end restaurants and the Dolphin has more "comfort food" restaurants and the 24 hrs cafeteria.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
The Dolphin wouldn't waive the resort fee for me, as a Gold. They said SPG stopped doing that 6 months ago.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by Preacher7
The Dolphin wouldn't waive the resort fee for me, as a Gold. They said SPG stopped doing that 6 months ago.
I was at the Swan last week, same deal, did not waive the fee. They gave me a plat continenal breakfast coupon to make up for it. Had b-fast at Fresh (highly recommend)
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Yeah, all I got was a free drink coupon...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita
Whatever one is the Westin is very nice. Totally can tell the difference between the Sheraton and Westin.
We just arrived for a week long trip. I haven't been to Disney for at least 15 years, maybe more. But, we have found that there is really no difference between the Swan and the Dolphin. Most of the amenities are at the Dolphin. The bedding, even though it is a Sheraton, is the Westin Heavenly Bed at the Dolphin, the only difference is the guest amenities. The Westin White Tea amenities are at the Swan which our friends are staying at. You cannot tell the difference between the Swan and the Dolphin except that the Swan is smaller. Both hotels could use a renovation, but they always seem to be busy, so when are they going to find time for that? We are spending very little time in the room anyway.

Definitely don't expect an upgrade at either. They don't have a surplus of suites, so it is very unlikely. I still love the properties because it is nice to walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk. The hallways are so cold though!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by Puppenstein

Definitely don't expect an upgrade at either. They don't have a surplus of suites, so it is very unlikely. I still love the properties because it is nice to walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk. The hallways are so cold though!
While I never *expect* an upgrade at either, my previous experience with them has been quite good with Platinum upgrade to at least a deluxe alcove room (basically a jr. suite), if not some sort of executive or governor suite with the parlor lockoff attached to my bedroom. With the Dolphin, I usually see them take control of my reservation a few days or so in advance of arrival and that seems to be an indication that I've been pre-blocked into a suite of some sort. Suite availability, however, can be particularly tight if there's a big convention or if it's peak family travel time. Shorter stays are more likely to have availability as well.

I just returned from a 3-night stay at the Dolphin and I was indeed upgraded to a suite for my stay. And yes, those hallways are freezing!!!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal
While I never *expect* an upgrade at either, my previous experience with them has been quite good with Platinum upgrade to at least a deluxe alcove room (basically a jr. suite), if not some sort of executive or governor suite with the parlor lockoff attached to my bedroom. With the Dolphin, I usually see them take control of my reservation a few days or so in advance of arrival and that seems to be an indication that I've been pre-blocked into a suite of some sort. Suite availability, however, can be particularly tight if there's a big convention or if it's peak family travel time. Shorter stays are more likely to have availability as well.

I just returned from a 3-night stay at the Dolphin and I was indeed upgraded to a suite for my stay. And yes, those hallways are freezing!!!
We have a balcony, so I suppose that is an upgrade. I know that people save up their points to take their families to Disney and want to impress them based on the reason they had to travel so much, but when I go on a vacation like this, I want to take full advantage of the attractions, not the room. I was really surprised that the Dolphin had the Heavenly bed. The A/C must be a Florida thing.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:04 am

We have a balcony, so I suppose that is an upgrade. I know that people save up their points to take their families to Disney and want to impress them based on the reason they had to travel so much, but when I go on a vacation like this, I want to take full advantage of the attractions, not the room. I was really surprised that the Dolphin had the Heavenly bed. The A/C must be a Florida thing.
We enjoy the extra space afforded by upgrades because we have young children. But yes, the location of the S/D makes it extra special. So easy to walk to two parks, especially in the evening, and all kinds of dining options close by. The on site facilities are very nice too. Can't wait until our next visit in a few weeks.

Cheers,
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
You cannot tell the difference between the Swan and the Dolphin except that the Swan is smaller.
Also, some other differences...the Swans beds (when two in the room) are Queen and the Dolphin's are double. The Swans sinks are all outside the bathroom while the Dolphins has most rooms with sinks inside the bathroom. The Queen beds and sink outside bathroom are HUGE for a family of five!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Views and balcony are indeed upgrades from standard room type (and most visitors who are there for Disney seem to go nuts over a room with both a view of Illuminations fireworks AND a balcony).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.