Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:15 am

We stayed at the Swan, but it is basically the same hotel and a short walk across a nice walkway from one to the other. The advantages I see with the Swan is that it is smaller so there are usually shorter lines for check-in and such, especially if the Dolphin has a convention going on. I am SPG Gold and was upgraded to a room with a balcony and a decent view.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I wouldn't switch if you already have a room and confirmed upgrade. You can always walk over under the coverered walkway.
To the OP:
I think this falls into the category of worrying too much.

They're both great properties and the services just aren't all that different. One has a few more guests, but also a few more checkin lines and so on. And if there's a restaurant you want to use at the other hotel, it's a very short walk.

Stopy worrying and enjoy.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
Disney Dophin/Swan

I have read several old posts regarding these properties but hope some have new information. We are going with 2 adults and 2 teenage kids the 3rd week of October. Both hotels seem to be booked although I can’t tell why (convention or is this just crowded there this time of year)?

1. As a platinum which hotel do I have a better chance of getting an upgrade?
2. If you were staying at the Swan what room would you want/request? Do you suggest any room numbers?
3. We like morning coffee. Do rooms have coffee makers and coffee or is there a Starbucks at the location?
4. I looked at some Starwood timeshare locations near by but I assume the location of the hotel is better??
5. We are pros at Disneyland but have never taken the family to WDW. Any tips? From my reading it I think we will do only one park per day. Are the early/extended hours worth it or is it still crowded during this time?

Thanks for all of your help. If you think of any other tips I would appreciate it.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I can answer a few questions.....

Coffee makers and coffee are available in the rooms. Starbucks Coffee is also available at the Dolphin Fountain.

The locations is excellent since it is on Disney property unlike Vistana and you get the same benefits as disney resorts ie:transportation and Extra Magic Hours.

I like the Swan because it does not seem so busy, since most of the convention space is over at the Dolphin. They also have two queens beds instead of two double beds.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond VIP Hertz 5 Star Gold Avis First Preferred
I have stayed at the Dolphin 3 times, my last visit was a year ago. You won't find a better location to both EPCOT & MGM but other than the location, I would not recommend the Dolphin.

If you’re looking for an upgrade, don't hold your breath. I have never received a suite upgrade on any of my stays. They host quite a few conventions at the Dolphin and from my experience cater to those guest and not SPG members. The standard rooms are small (the bathrooms even smaller) and because of the location the room rates are much more than they are worth IMHO.

Can't help you out with any info on the Swan. I would recommend looking into the Hilton at WDW Village, not as convenient to the parks but still located on Disney property.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:27 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
I stayed at the Dolphin last December. The location was great. IIRC the rooms are very "old Florida" peach and greenish. The air conditioner is on a sensor. It turns off when you leave the room. Not a good feature with the humidity in Florida. I found the room musty (and I live in Florida). I didn't hate it but I don't think I'd stay there again unless there was some unbelievable deal I just could pass up.

Forget about any kind of an upgrade. They're simply not interested in anything to do with the SPG program. At least that was my impression.

Walked through the swan and wasn't overly excited to come stay there either.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:41 pm

Oh and October is busy because they are having Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party, and conventions as well.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin a combined eight times over the past five years. I really love the area and will usually stay at one of those hotels even if I'm in MCO for business.

If your goal is to see the WDW parks, no resort has a better location. You're walking distance to Epcot and MGM and you can take advantage of the same transportation options you get with all the other Disney Resorts. I wouldn't waste my time with an SPG timeshare resort unless you think you might need more space. I also wouldn't stay off-site or even at a Disney good neighbor resort; it's a vastly inferior experience.

My last three stays at these resorts have been as a platinum and I finally received a junior suite on my last visit to the Swan. That said, on all but one of my eight stays, I received no less than a resort view balcony room, even as a gold. To tell you the truth, I think I actually liked the balcony rooms room more, but you may prefer the extra space you get from a suite (if you can get it).

I'd take the Swan over the Dolphin. The rooms seem bigger and you get queen beds over doubles. The Swam is also less chaotic.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat(soon Premier Gold) PC lifetime(UC Life?) SPG Plat(Soon Gold)
Special Rates at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin

Just got the email today - rather than starting new thread I'll stick here.

As a courtesy to our valued newsletter subscribers, we wanted you to be the
first to know about the following discounted rates available now. If your dates are
flexible, choose from the options listed below starting as low as $159*.

Space is limited. Please call 888-828-8850 to reserve your room now!

Be sure to ask for rate code: SD2007

STAY AT THE DOLPHIN
Sept. 28 - 30, 2007 $179
Oct. 4 - 6, 2007 $219
Oct. 17 - 19, 2007 $219
Oct. 24 - 25, 2007 $219
Nov. 1 - 3, 2007 $219
Nov. 18 - 25, 2007 $159
Dec. 6 - 9, 2007 $159
Dec. 14 - 23, 2007 $179

STAY AT THE SWAN
Nov. 18 - 20, 2007 $179
Nov. 25 - 30, 2007 $179
Dec. 6 - 9, 2007 $179
Dec. 14 - 23, 2007 $199

*Rates are per room, per night and are subject to availability. Taxes and gratuities not included.
Not valid with any other special offers, promotions, or for existing reservations or groups.
I tried, this rate code (SD2007) didn't work online at SPG.COM/SHERATON.COM/WESTIN.COM, but the same rates are listed as "Internet Only, non-refundable" rate.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:14 pm

Thanks PforPlatinum! This arrives 30 minutes after I've made my reservation at the dolphin... :-(
But it's alright, cause I got the (even better) teacher's rate. Any of you know if only one of 2 occupants in the room need to show id to justify the rate? That would make sense, but still want to check.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by el_tigre
I'd take the Swan over the Dolphin. The rooms seem bigger and you get queen beds over doubles. The Swam is also less chaotic.
I agree. The swan is a lot easier to get around. I also do a lot better on upgrades versus at the Dolphin.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: OnePass - Platinum, SPG - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum
Disney Swan or Dolphin - Which is better?

I am planning a vacation to Walt Disney World next summer and wanted to see if there was insight on which is the best Starwood property in Walt Disney World - The Swan or The Dolphin?

Thanks,
JN
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
WDW tickets

Is it possible to buy WDW tickets at the Swan/Dolphin, and if so can you charge them to your room (and get SPG points) ?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by raunow
Is it possible to buy WDW tickets at the Swan/Dolphin, and if so can you charge them to your room (and get SPG points) ?
I stayed at the Swan last year and there is a Disney Ticket Office on the ground floor. I don't believe charging to the room was an option.

They were very helpful though.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:19 pm

the ticket office is outsourced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.