Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal
Views and balcony are indeed upgrades from standard room type (and most visitors who are there for Disney seem to go nuts over a room with both a view of Illuminations fireworks AND a balcony).
We just realized that tonight because I was too tired to look at the display in the park. My sink at the Dolphin is outside of the bathroom. I have a room with two doubles which is actually pretty spacious. I do like the balcony except for the jerk that keeps smoking outside on his when all the literature said you are not supposed to do that.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
We just realized that tonight because I was too tired to look at the display in the park. My sink at the Dolphin is outside of the bathroom. I have a room with two doubles which is actually pretty spacious. I do like the balcony except for the jerk that keeps smoking outside on his when all the literature said you are not supposed to do that.
Have you called the front desk about the smoking?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Have you called the front desk about the smoking?
Yes, but it hasn't stopped him, so they either got the wrong room, or the guy is incredibly sneaky.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:19 am

I am planning a 10 day family trip to disney in September/October time frame. I am a platinum member but was just short of getting the suite nights this year. I was wondering if I would be better off to do 1 5 day trip at each property or just one 10 day. i am hoping to get an upgrade so which one would give me the best possibility?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by tristyp
I am planning a 10 day family trip to disney in September/October time frame. I am a platinum member but was just short of getting the suite nights this year. I was wondering if I would be better off to do 1 5 day trip at each property or just one 10 day. i am hoping to get an upgrade so which one would give me the best possibility?
I've done many 10 night trips at the Swan and would hate to have to switch properties after 5 nights. Interesting strategy though. Odds of upgrades are dependent on conventions at the hotels and other WDW events, such as the fall food festival. All you can do is research, and hope for the best.

Cheers,
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Flews
I've done many 10 night trips at the Swan and would hate to have to switch properties after 5 nights. Interesting strategy though. Odds of upgrades are dependent on conventions at the hotels and other WDW events, such as the fall food festival. All you can do is research, and hope for the best.

Cheers,
I'm with Flews on switching properties.

However, with that said, upgrades, if available, would be easier to secure for a five-night stay than a ten-night stay since the upgraded room would need to be available for the entire stay to be upgraded upon check-in. If upgrades are your top priority then go with two five-night stays. If not spending half a day changing hotels during your vacation is a higher priority, go for a ten-day stay realizing you may be decreasing the likelihood of an upgrade.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:55 pm

The other thing you can try, especially for point stays, is consecutive 5 night stays at the same property. That way, if you get lucky with one, you might only need to move rooms, not properties. I have always found the swan to have good Plat recognition.

Cheers,
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:28 am

Thanks for all your help. I never really thought of the inconvenience of moving and losing a day. It would be nice though to have at least a nice view of the fireworks for the kids even if only for a few nights. What are the free plat. breakfast options an do they still waive the resort fee? When is convention season there? Thanks again for all your responses.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:22 pm

Thanks for all your help. I never really thought of the inconvenience of moving and losing a day. It would be nice though to have at least a nice view of the fireworks for the kids even if only for a few nights. What are the free plat. breakfast options an do they still waive the resort fee? When is convention season there? Thanks again for all your responses.
Others may disagree, but I find watching the fireworks from the room or balcony to be totally underwhelming. You miss seeing most of it, and all the music that goes with it. We have been walking over to Epcot and watching the fireworks with our kids, pretty well every night, since they were two years old. We rent a stroller, so they often fall asleep during or on the walk back. We'll do that again this year, age 6. It's magical.

The Plat breakfast, in lieu of 500 point amenity, is a fairly decent/standard continental, at either Garden Grove, or Mediterranean Market. There's a buy up option if you want the full buffet, I forget how much.

As far as I know, ie: as of last April, they still waive resort fees for Plats.

Not sure if there is a convention "season". There always seem to be conventions year round. The fall is no exception; in fact, I suspect it is one of the busiest times for Conventions. There are a couple that pretty well take over the hotels. Just Google around, I guess, or call the hotel.

Enjoy,

Cheers,
Old May 18, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Going for 3 nights and will only spend 1 day at Epcot. Other 2 at Universal and Discovery Cove. Have the Swan booked now, but is the area packed in June ? Also will rent a car so is that a PITA or easy to do self park and get out of the place?

Thinking about moving but what do you guys think? BTW they waiving resort fee for plats still?
Old May 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Food delivery options?

Am looking to save on food costs for a family of four for a five night stay at the Swan. Are there off Disney pizza or Chinese restaurants (pizza, Chinese etc) that can deliver to the Swan or the Dolphin? Or is renting a car and driving off property for meals the only option? Also, anyone has experience with asking for microwave in the room - do they provide it and is there a charge for it?
Old May 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Going for 3 nights and will only spend 1 day at Epcot. Other 2 at Universal and Discovery Cove. Have the Swan booked now, but is the area packed in June ? Also will rent a car so is that a PITA or easy to do self park and get out of the place?

Thinking about moving but what do you guys think? BTW they waiving resort fee for plats still?
Parking at the Swan is easy. Not sure about the resort fee waiver.

I suggest also considering the Westin Universal as it's closer to Universal and Discovery Cove. It's newer and nicer but the pool is not as nice and large as the Swan/Dolphin. I've stayed there 3 times and have been upgraded to a two bedroom suite every time.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:03 pm

We had our parking and resort fees waived in April, so I'm not sure if they still do but they did then. They also had an off-site pizza delivery service that had a brochure in the room that looked affordable for families though we didn't try it ourselves. Cabana was really good and not not too expensive by the Dolphin pool.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by schley

It'll be busy.

There is onside car rental at the Dolphin. Daily parking fees though.

Resort fee waived for plats.

I would stay elsewhere if I was only doing Epcot for one day.

Not sure how you can do 3 attractions on a 3 night stay, but YMMV.

Cheers,
Old May 19, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by frmnj
Am looking to save on food costs for a family of four for a five night stay at the Swan. Are there off Disney pizza or Chinese restaurants (pizza, Chinese etc) that can deliver to the Swan or the Dolphin? Or is renting a car and driving off property for meals the only option? Also, anyone has experience with asking for microwave in the room - do they provide it and is there a charge for it?
No microwaves. Just fridge.

You can order pizza. Probably Chinese too.

Check the Dis boards or some for tips to save money on food. you can get breakfast and lunch groceries, sodas and drinks, at the boardwalk. I would never rent a car to at offsite, but YMMV.

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.