Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore or Milwaukee Marriott West?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone ever stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore or Milwaukee Marriott West?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Those are our two stops during our upcoming Memorial Day Weekend trip.

Wondered if anyone had any reviews other than what I've read already on tripadvisor.com

Thanks!

Deb
Old May 16, 2008, 7:30 am
pgh

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Madison West last month. It is a fairly typical FS property, inside atrium design. The CL is decent with good evening victuals and breakfast in the morning.

They recognize and treat Plats well, though I can't tell from your profile if you have status or not.

They gave me a corner suite right next to the CL, I believe it was room 1001.

There is some confusion about the restaurants as there are two shown on the various ads (elevator placard and in room hotel services directory) but they are both in the atrium along with the bar.

The restaurant food is good.

There isn't a lot around the hotel, other than a small open air design retail mall across the street, kitty corner from the hotel, with couple of restaurants, but one of those is very good. I cant remember the name, something like Johnny's Italian Grill, but it is on the backside of the mall area and worth checking out. During our 3 day stay we ate there twice.

Hope this is helpful.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgh
I stayed at the Madison West last month. It is a fairly typical FS property, inside atrium design. The CL is decent with good evening victuals and breakfast in the morning.
Did you stay at the Madison West or the Milwaukee West? I was inquiring about the Milwaukee West.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:47 am
pgh

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
That's what I get for replying so early in the morning. Milwaukee = Wisconsin,
Madison = Wisconsin. Then seeing "West" my not yet coffee vitalized brain says "oh, Madison West, I was there!".

Sorry for the confusion.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgh
That's what I get for replying so early in the morning. Milwaukee = Wisconsin,
Madison = Wisconsin. Then seeing "West" my not yet coffee vitalized brain says "oh, Madison West, I was there!".

Sorry for the confusion.

no problem...at least someone's reading my post

Deb
Old May 16, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I have a 2 night stay at the Milwaukee west coming up 2 days after Memorial Day...so please post your thoughts about the hotel in a timely manner so i can cancel my stay if i need to

seriously - i was reading where FTers suggested not staying at the Ren Orlando airport and staying at the Marriott Orlando airport instead...the marriott was quite nice...
Old May 16, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
There is no fs Marriott or Ren in Milwaukee. The downtown CY and RI are mediocre, in my opinion. The Marriott Milwaukee West is a bit of a drive, near Waukesha. Attractive property from the outside, and very ordinary Marriott inside. I found the lounge vittles below average and the rooms average. Because of the layout, some rooms are extremely long walks from the elevator. Property is beside I-94, with lots of restaurants up and down the corridor, although not immediately by the Marriott.

Because the only hot dish served in the concierge lounge at breakfast was oatmeal (day after day), and the breads and pastries were disappointing, I found myself driving to the CY a few miles away for the breakfast buffet.

Edited to add: This post is from 2008. Marriott's presence in Milwaukee has changed.

Last edited by ohmark; Aug 11, 2015 at 9:28 am
Old May 17, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
I've been to both properties.

Ohmark is spot on re. the Marriott Milwaukee West.

As for the Ren, it's rather drab on the outside but pretty nice on the inside.
FWIW, they also have a Ruth's Chris.
Old May 17, 2008, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Big Mo
As for the Ren, it's rather drab on the outside but pretty nice on the inside.
FWIW, they also have a Ruth's Chris.
If only you could use the Ren 2 for 1 coupon there.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Just finished a 2-day stay at the Milwaukee Marriott West. What others say is true. Location is just off the highway, and the building on the outside looks promising. Inside, relatively normal Marriott fare. Rooms not amazing, not terrible either. Decor is typical Marriott; green floral carpeting, normal Marriott wallpaper, etc.

Hallways are LONG, especially if they give you a room near the back, which is what we got. Service was average to below average. I wanted to link my 2 1-night reservations (1 paid, 1 e-cert), so I called ahead of time to get them to do that; then asked to make sure they did it when I checked in and then still had to call them in the middle of the stay when I got my bill under the door after the first night and the FDS not knowing of my request and seeming like she was doing me a big favor by not having me check in and out. Also, full service hotel-like driveway and lobby, but ZERO doormen, bellhops or concierge to speak of. Did not see one the entire stay. Attitude at front desk, though not rude, was generally not friendly in any way.

There is really no obvious food choices to speak of immediately near the hotel, which is in an office-type strech. The hotel has a restaurant. We had breakfast there, which was decent (waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, different types of fruit [cut melons, pineapple, etc.], etc.). Breakfast was included in our rate, but the charges would have been $10/adult and $7 kids if I remember correctly. Plethora of standard restaurants a few miles down the highway.

The pool, on the other hand, was pretty nice IMO. Approximately 36'x20' from 3'deep to 4.5' deep. Hot tub was about 12'x8' and was nice in that it was literally next to the pool with a small wall separating the two.

As to be expected, no CL during the weekend. Parking is free (of course).
Old May 14, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dcchi
Parking is free (of course).
Which is usually the case when you're in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for the update, which shows little has changed since my last visit about five years ago.
Old May 14, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I've stayed at the Ren North Shore on many occasions. In fact, it is the first place I look rather than staying downtown. They are undergoing a big lobby renovation but the rooms are totally done and the CL is done. Speaking of CL, it is stellar and Elizabeth, the attendant, is so awesome....she ranks up there as one of the top Concierges in the Marriott system, IMO. She bends over backwards for every person walking through the door and if you stay a few times, she knows your name and remembers it no matter how long it is between your stays.
Rooms are nice and comfortable, never tried the restaurant but there are plenty of places nearby to eat. Also, Northbrook has some of the best shopping so if you have money to burn, you can certainly do it at the mall and surrounding shopping centers. Make sure to check out the Prairie Grass Cafe just up the street.
Book the Ren, IMO-I think you would enjoy it.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by USFreak
I've stayed at the Ren North Shore on many occasions. In fact, it is the first place I look rather than staying downtown. They are undergoing a big lobby renovation but the rooms are totally done and the CL is done. Speaking of CL, it is stellar and Elizabeth, the attendant, is so awesome....she ranks up there as one of the top Concierges in the Marriott system, IMO. She bends over backwards for every person walking through the door and if you stay a few times, she knows your name and remembers it no matter how long it is between your stays.
Rooms are nice and comfortable, never tried the restaurant but there are plenty of places nearby to eat. Also, Northbrook has some of the best shopping so if you have money to burn, you can certainly do it at the mall and surrounding shopping centers. Make sure to check out the Prairie Grass Cafe just up the street.
Is the exec lounge open on the weekend at the Ren NS? If not, do they provide brekkie coupons? If closed, is it key accessible for soft drinks? Is there free wifi or i-net terminal? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by USFreak
Glad to see Elizabeth is still the queen of the lounge there. Marriott should promote her to Goddess of All Lounges and have her doing nothing but training lounge attendants on how to please their best customers.
I would walk into the lounge, she'd have my coffee, milk and silverware on the table when I got through getting my food. Always remembered my name, where I was working, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Review and update of the Renaissance North Shore hotel.

Stayed from Sunday to Wednesday on a points stay at this Renaissance, and brought my family including a two year old granddaughter. Normally the family will not travel with me on a business trip but they made an exception so one daughter could tour Northwestern University.

First, the hotel completed a complete remodel last summer. The results are very good. The lobby is clean and sharp. This hotel started out as a Sheraton before rebranding over 10 years ago, and except for a tight feel to the lobby now looks like a Hammond property.

Had no problems on check in. Front staff was very busy, having completed a weekend full of bar mitzvahs and weddings. One valet attendant who was running each time I saw him. FDA greeted by name, offered choice of gift and read the notes on my file so that I received my packages upon check in. I often need to remind FDA to check for my packages.

We stayed on the 8th floor in a room with two double beds, and added a crib. Tight for a room full of girls but I was seldom there and they managed well. Aveda toiletries plus four towels sets. The double beds were small but it is the rule in city hotels. Bedding was clean and comfortable, looked like the new Marriott edition. The beds seemed taller than the beds I enjoyed in Raleigh last week. Excellent work area (as expected) and enough outlets for a family of four.

Concierge lounge on the 9th floor is open 6:30 to 9:30 am and 5:30 to 7:30/8:30 in the evening, the typical Sunday evening to Friday morning. Access is by door key, and it works all day if you need water, juice or teas. My family is usually not impressed by concierge food, but were pleasantly surprised by good tacos for a dinner, and eggs/meat choices in the morning. Breakfast meat choices varied each day. The girls tried everything including the oatmeal, which they loaded down with brown sugar and berries. Met with their approval.

Dinner another evening was Italian sausage, lemon chicken and an antipasto tray. Jelly bellies are scattered in bowls around the lounge. Food is very good for a lounge.

The best news of all is that Elizabeth still works mornings! She greets each guest, brings silverware, newspapers and drinks to the guest table. Incredibly poised and professional. My family went up one morning when my granddaughter was not in a good mood. Elizabeth listened for just a moment, and brought her a cup with Cheerios just for her. The two year old got quiet, ate her Cheerios and asked for more with a "please". Not sure what Elizabeth thought, but my daughters were thrilled that the CL attendant had such a great attitude. Robert worked the one evening I arrived before they closed, and is very professional and a great conversationalist.

The banquet room on the 8th floor was in use during the day and at least one evening, but there was no noise or distractions from the crowd. There is live music many evenings in the bar and it was crowded when I dropped in.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay tremendously for a Chicago hotel. The downtown hotels are certainly near the center of action, but with free parking, the Ruth Chris and an inexpensive redemption on points this Renaissance is our families new favorite for the area. For a family visit I do not have any complaints.

Last edited by Texas Booster; Mar 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm Reason: speling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.