Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore or Milwaukee Marriott West?

Has anyone ever stayed at Renaissance Chicago North Shore or Milwaukee Marriott West?

Old Mar 17, 13, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update on the Ren North Shore. It's been a while since we had a detailed one. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 13, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Airtran A+
I stayed at the Marriott Milwaukee west just last month. Very nice hotel and I was treated very well. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 20, 13, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum or Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
I stay at the Milwaukee Marriott West regularly - usually a couple times a month. As previously stated, it is a nice hotel. All the Marriott basics, but generally done well. Monday and Wednesday can be sold out, Tuesday almost always is. If you happen stay Thursday through Sunday, they love you there!!
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
Thumbs down

North Shore Renaissance....very nice hotel. HOWEVER:

Overbilled me. Added room service to my hotel bill and also charged me separately. Nothing like a $45 plate of eggs!
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
There is no fs Marriott or Ren in Milwaukee. The downtown CY and RI are mediocre, in my opinion.
The quote above is from 2008.

The full-service Milwaukee Marriott Downtown opened in June 2013. I haven't stayed there yet, but I look forward to trying it the next time I go to Milwaukee.

It's been a few years since I stayed at the Courtyard or Residence Inn in downtown Milwaukee.

The Courtyard was a decent city Courtyard; nothing amazing but nothing bad.

I liked the Residence Inn a lot. It's in the old Gimbel's department store (Marshall Field store in its final years. My rooms there have had high ceilings and views of the river. The old department store staircase is still there. The breakfast room is more elegant than at a typical Residence Inn.
Old Oct 16, 13, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
One of the best Renaissance hotel properties.

Elizabeth, the morning lounge host, is the best in the Marriott chain, hands down.

Great menu in the evening, free easy parking, Ruth's Chris on site, easy on off Interstate.
When not downtown, it's the only Marriott hotel I stay at.
Old Aug 11, 15, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Stayed at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore over the weekend. I've stayed here before, and still find it to be an adequate hotel, but it's nowhere near the the best Renaissance in the system. It's a fairly typical suburban Marriott.

As I've noted before in some other Chicago thread, do note that this property isn't very near either Chicago or the shore. It's in the Glenview/Skokie/Northbrook area, well inland from the lake and about 45 minutes in "normal" traffic to Chicago. It's a good spot to be if you need to be in the northern suburbs.

Pro: good lounge, decent weekend breakfast.
Con: zero upgrade whatsoever for a Gold, even on a Fri-Sun stay when the place couldn't have had many elites. Had to haggle to get breakfast coupons. Parking can be difficult if you arrive back to the hotel late at night.

For $100/nt. (AAA rate), it was satisfactory. However, next time I'm in the area for a long weekend, I'm probably going to try one of the other Marriotts...maybe the Lincolnshire one...just to be different. Like I said, it's just a regular suburban hotel.
Old Aug 11, 15, 10:37 am

Thanks for the update - and reminder that it's not really near the shore. Can't believe you had to haggle for the breakfast coupons. The breakfast policy has been in place for 2 years.

Were the brekkie coupons for cont'l or full brekkie in the restaurant? Let me know & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 15, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
They were full breakfasts.
Old Aug 11, 15, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
They were full breakfasts.
Thanks. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:12 am

Stayed at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore over Labor Day weekend with my family (3 of us). In many ways, our stay felt more like a limited service (CY/FFI) than a full-service property.

Some positives:
+ Because the Lounge was closed until Tuesday, we got breakfast coupons for entire stay, good for full breakfast / buffet, eat-in or to-go. I availed of the to-go option.
+ We were originally booked into a club level room in the south tower. However, upon learning of the lounge closure, we requested and ended up with a nice corner king room on 3F in the north tower with a little more space and a small dining table.
+ Bed was very comfortable, and room was quiet as we were at the end of the hallway; we slept well even with the windows open.
+ Had a great dinner with friends at the adjoining Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
+ Property was close to many restaurants and a well-stocked grocery store (Mariano's).

On the minus side:
- No mention on the website about the lounge being closed on Labor Day, and the front desk had to ask around to confirm it was indeed closed.
- Had to remind the front desk at checkin about the breakfast coupons and PAG.
- No valet / offers to unload and bring luggage up to the room.
- Checked in around 3pm after a long flight, but we could not order room service until 5pm when the kitchen re-opened.
- Avis desk was closed as well; again, no mention that it would be closed on Labor Day.

Last edited by ntamayo; Sep 6, 17 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 6, 17, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC G, Flying Blue Gold, Marriott PP, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ntamayo View Post
Stayed at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore over Labor Day weekend with my family (3 of us). In many ways, our stay felt more like a limited service (CY/FFI) than a full-service property.

Some positives:
+ Because the Lounge was closed until Tuesday, we got breakfast coupons for entire stay, good for full breakfast / buffet, eat-in or to-go. I availed of the to-go option.
+ We were originally booked into a club level room in the south tower. However, upon learning of the lounge closure, we requested and ended up with a nice corner king room on 3F in the north tower with a little more space and a small dining table.
+ Bed was very comfortable, and room was quiet as we were at the end of the hallway; we slept well even with the windows open.
+ Had a great dinner with friends at the adjoining Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
+ Property was close to many restaurants and a well-stocked grocery store (Mariano's).

On the minus side:
- No mention on the website about the lounge being closed on Labor Day, and the front desk had to ask around to confirm it was indeed closed.
- Had to remind the front desk at checkin about the breakfast coupons and PAG.
- No valet / offers to unload and bring luggage up to the room.
- Checked in around 3pm after a long flight, but we could not order room service until 5pm when the kitchen re-opened.
- Avis desk was closed as well; again, no mention that it would be closed on Labor Day.

I would add on the minus side... rooms are pretty old, needs reno urgently!
However the staff is lovely, especially the morning lounge female. Great Marriott ambassador, and if you are up for a good meal Ruth Chris is great.
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Circusplaza View Post
I would add on the minus side... rooms are pretty old, needs reno urgently!
However the staff is lovely, especially the morning lounge female. Great Marriott ambassador, and if you are up for a good meal Ruth Chris is great.
Agreed - I stay here as it's close to my office, and IMO better than the uber-mediocre Sheraton close by. But rates barely above $100 midweek for a business hotel suggests it's not up to snuff.