Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

There's a 6% Government Tax and MYR10 Tourism Tax not shown in the rate.

Hotel email addresses:

The Ritz Carlton Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]

JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Is there something special about the Majestic? (Historical significance or otherwise)

Will certainly report back on the Ren. I'm only staying a brief two-nighter.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
Is there something special about the Majestic? (Historical significance or otherwise)

Will certainly report back on the Ren. I'm only staying a brief two-nighter.
Part of the hotel is the old wing, which dates to the colonial era and is a throwback to when there were a half-dozen or so grand hotels scattered across Southeast Asia.

They have a couple unique features, including The Smoke House: The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just checked in, was invited to the lounge where someone rather silently checked me in. No mention of an upgrade — I didn't really care for one, but was hoping I'd get a nice view of the Petronas towers, so I was disappointed to see my assignment to the 5th floor (lowest floor of rooms). I was surprised walking into the room by what is an absolutely massive suite. No views to speak of.

Somehow… I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of view. I wonder if it'd be ungrateful to ask for a downgrade to a regular room on the top floor facing the Petronas towers…

EDIT: looks like I got the Renaissance Suite which seems to be the highest room category. The hotel seems deserted. No real drinks in the club lounge after 7:30 — which seems to contradict the 8:30 I saw mentioned other places and on the website.

Cocktail hours: Daily; 5:30pm 7:30pm (Food & Beverage), 5:30pm 8.30pm (Beverage only)
StephenSamuel1234 likes this.

Last edited by helvetic; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:27 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Just checked in, was invited to the lounge where someone rather silently checked me in. No mention of an upgrade I didn't really care for one, but was hoping I'd get a nice view of the Petronas towers, so I was disappointed to see my assignment to the 5th floor (lowest floor of rooms). I was surprised walking into the room by what is an absolutely massive suite. No views to speak of.

Somehow I'm still a bit disappointed about the lack of view. I wonder if it'd be ungrateful to ask for a downgrade to a regular room on the top floor facing the Petronas towers

EDIT: looks like I got the Renaissance Suite which seems to be the highest room category. The hotel seems deserted. No real drinks in the club lounge after 7:30 which seems to contradict the 8:30 I saw mentioned other places and on the website.
Which tower?

Sometimes old hotels can be weird. I've seen a fair share of premium suites with no view whatsoever. It's weird.

When I stayed there in 2017 they were pretty strict about taking away all the alcohol precisely when the open bar closed. The J.W. Marriott's open bars hours were much more extensive.

Who is the guest relations manager?

Ms. "Nurul Hidayah Mohd Fuad" <[email protected]>was delightful to deal with in the past. Did they not send a pre-arrival email?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:49 am

Didn't receive any emails other than the automated booking confirmation. No idea who the guest relations manager is now.

I'm starting to somewhat regret booking here, and feel like I should've optimized for on-site rooftop bar instead of club lounge. I went to c la vi at the element today and it's far better to drink there for happy hour drinks priced dirt cheap than at the Ren club where the ambiance sucks. Looks like the aloft has a sweet rooftop bar as well, and the W has a bar with great views of the Petronas towers.

They served me a beer after happy hour was over yesterday at the Ren club, but make sure to charge me for it. MYR 30… not cheap AT ALL for a draft Tiger beer.

The breakfast was mediocre. The cooked-to-order dosa was great, and the aloo curry was delicious, but the offerings were odd and somewhat lacking. Why are there 5 different potato curry dishes but not a single Indian meat dish, and why are there two grilled chicken dishes. I'd have much rather had some dal and murgh makhani than a million options for potatoes. Most of it was not great. At least the croissants were good. No grapefruit juice. Bad service.

Today I learnt: the two Petronas towers were each build by two independent companies to prevent delays preventing the on-time opening. Whichever finished first would have to honor to inaugurate the world's (then) tallest building. Now that's redundancy!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:10 am
Suspended

Didn't receive any emails other than the automated booking confirmation. No idea who the guest relations manager is now.
That's interesting. They used to have a guest relations team and used to send pre-arrival emails to elite status guests. You might want to mention something to the manager on-duty, if anything to find out.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:44 am

I'm starting to somewhat regret booking here, and feel like I should've optimized for on-site rooftop bar instead of club lounge. I went to c la vi at the element today and it's far better to drink there for happy hour drinks priced dirt cheap than at the Ren club where the ambiance sucks. Looks like the aloft has a sweet rooftop bar as well, and the W has a bar with great views of the Petronas towers.

They served me a beer after happy hour was over yesterday at the Ren club, but make sure to charge me for it. MYR 30 not cheap AT ALL for a draft Tiger beer.

The breakfast was mediocre. The cooked-to-order dosa was great, and the aloo curry was delicious, but the offerings were odd and somewhat lacking. Why are there 5 different potato curry dishes but not a single Indian meat dish, and why are there two grilled chicken dishes. I'd have much rather had some dal and murgh makhani than a million options for potatoes. Most of it was not great. At least the croissants were good. No grapefruit juice. Bad service.

Today I learnt: the two Petronas towers were each build by two independent companies to prevent delays preventing the on-time opening. Whichever finished first would have to honor to inaugurate the world's (then) tallest building. Now that's redundancy!
I am so disappointed with this message. I had one night booked with St. R and then two nights booked with LM. While the St. R was very affordable, by US standards, I am a t-shirt/shorts kind of guy when on vacation. I generally don't care about what others think of me, but St. R is a bit over the top. The LM could not guarantee a non-smoking room, even with an upgrade. So the REN it is. I'd prefer a tower view over a suite being a solo traveler, but definitely non-smoking. thanks for posting the info so far. (I checked out W, JW, and the Majestic also. W and JW could not guarantee non-smoking rooms and the Majestic only had suites available as the base rate.)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
I am so disappointed with this message. I had one night booked with St. R and then two nights booked with LM. While the St. R was very affordable, by US standards, I am a t-shirt/shorts kind of guy when on vacation. I generally don't care about what others think of me, but St. R is a bit over the top. The LM could not guarantee a non-smoking room, even with an upgrade. So the REN it is. I'd prefer a tower view over a suite being a solo traveler, but definitely non-smoking. thanks for posting the info so far. (I checked out W, JW, and the Majestic also. W and JW could not guarantee non-smoking rooms and the Majestic only had suites available as the base rate.)
I posted on the KL Renaissance thread. So far happy with my choice and I'll provide more feedback. Wide awake, so I thought I'd checkout the W bar. Glad I didn't stay there...i black Polo t-shirt and jeans are looked down on. Weakest G&T ever. And the bar tried to pull the dynamic currency conversion scam. I refused and the bar staff acted 'confused' as to why I wouldn't pay in USD...lots of 'consulting' with colleagues. Great view of Petronas Towers, though. Cab over to Aloft bar. Great view of Hilton, St. Regis, etc. Lousy service in that a large business group entered right before me, but all is good now. That statement was a bit unfair to the Aloft. It became fairly clear that the crowd (standing) blocked the view of me (sitting) and the crowd was rather demanding. The staff, once I was served, was excellent, and checked on me from time to time.

Last edited by lamphs; Feb 6, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lamphs
I posted on the KL Renaissance thread. So far happy with my choice and I'll provide more feedback. Wide awake, so I thought I'd checkout the W bar. Glad I didn't stay there...i black Polo t-shirt and jeans are looked down on. Weakest G&T ever. And the bar tried to pull the dynamic currency conversion scam. I refused and the bar staff acted 'confused' as to why I wouldn't pay in USD...lots of 'consulting' with colleagues. Great view of Petronas Towers, though. Cab over to Aloft bar. Great view of Hilton, St. Regis, etc. Lousy service in that a large business group entered right before me, but all is good now.
The bar or lack thereof was one of the few negatives I had with the Kuala Lumpur Renaissance. There really wasn't a bar, outside of a beach-inspired bar by the pool. The classy lobby bar with a piano in the west tower lobby area was never used by a guest in the two weeks I stayed at the hotel back in 2017. Plus, the prices listed on the menu were too high considering the more-than-drinkable wine being served for free in the executive lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:51 pm

If I visit KL again, which I'm not planning on doing as I was generally very disappointed by the city, I'd probably stay at the Aloft or Element, or suck it up and book the St. Regis.

But overall, I just really didn't like KL so will avoid the city in the future. Plenty of other better destinations in Southeast Asia (HK, Singapore, BKK to name just a few)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

If I visit KL again, which I'm not planning on doing as I was generally very disappointed by the city, I'd probably stay at the Aloft or Element, or suck it up and book the St. Regis.

But overall, I just really didn't like KL so will avoid the city in the future. Plenty of other better destinations in Southeast Asia (HK, Singapore, BKK to name just a few)
I can understand how you might be disappointed in Kuala Lumpur. Before I visited everyone told me it was kind of a dumpy city, especially compared to Singapore. I personally liked Kuala Lumpur because it was much, much cheaper than Singapore, English fluency was good, it seemed safe and there is a lot of great historical architecture from the British colonial-era. I felt like Kuala Lumpur is what Singapore was like maybe 30 years ago.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
KL is good for cheap 5* hotels and that's pretty much it.

By the way, Element is really nice. And Aloft not so much.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
SG seems sterile to me. It's a very insta-worthy city, lots of great modern architecture, things run almost perfectly but sterile. Plus it's expensive BKK on the other hand is great for cheap massages, great food, and shopping

Originally Posted by barracuda93
KL is good for cheap 5* hotels and that's pretty much it.

By the way, Element is really nice. And Aloft not so much.
KL is great for its food (very local and more authentic than say SG) - you'd always hear Singaporeans coming to Malaysia for the food but not vice versa. And also KL has plenty of great rooftop bars (Vertigo @ Banyan Tree is fantastic).

Aloft and its breakfast is decent, especially for the price. I was upgraded to a huge suite (pre-Aug 2018) and found it to be excellent value (I paid around $60 USD). As a tourist, there isn't much around the area (other than the National Museum) but it's good if you are there for a quick night (to/from airport/train) and the immediate area around Aloft/LM/StR has great Indian restaurants if you love Indian food.

Last edited by nov11; Feb 9, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby

I can definitely see where you are coming from, and yes, KL is not like Singapore in that the best places are not catalogued in glossy tourist brochures and accessible to the one-time visitor. Frankly speaking, Tourism Malaysia is a joke. You really need local knowledge to make the most out of a stay in KL.

As someone who spends a third of their life in KL, and have been doing since 2017, I am still discovering nooks and crannies of interesting life and delicious food all over the Klang Valley. KL itself is not where it is at, and even the food at places like Jalan Alor has declined tremendously. You should be considering areas outside of KL. Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Damansara, Petaling Jaya, etc. are prospering little townships where the locals hang out during the week (no one comes into town for entertainment except on weekends due to the utterly insane traffic), and the outskirts house lots of little nondescript restaurants which heave with four sittings a night. Just last week, I discovered a gorgeous chicken rice in PJ that would objectively knock the socks off any chicken rice in Singapore, including Tian Tian.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Just last week, I discovered a gorgeous chicken rice in PJ that would objectively knock the socks off any chicken rice in Singapore, including Tian Tian.
OT but which one would that be

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.