FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Jose California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/819503-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-san-jose-california.html)

edstorm May 2, 2008 6:18 am

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Jose California

Hi, I am presently staying in the JW marriott in san francisco and I was wondering to move over to a marriott hotel in the san jose/fremont (southbay)area.
Does anyone have a good recommendation of which one is the best one to consider?

Thanks.

jessej May 2, 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by edstorm (Post 9665932)
Hi, I am presently staying in the JW marriott in san francisco and I was wondering to move over to a marriott hotel in the san jose/fremont (southbay)area.
Does anyone have a good recommendation of which one is the best one to consider?

Thanks.

i spent a nite (about 12 hours) at the fremont marriott last November
checked in at 2 am and checked out at 10 am

very nice hotel
large number of rooms
newly renovated
upgrades for golds
good service
and cheap
rate for golds was $89 a nite

BruceWG May 2, 2008 9:35 am

Have stayed in both a few times. Both are decent hotels, but there is not much to do within walking distance of the Fremont hotel, San Jose Marriott is in downtown so there are many options for food, entertainment, etc.

We were treated very well at both locations, given free breakfast on the weekends....breakfast at the SJ hotel is one of the better ones...made to order waffels, pancakes, french toast, omletts, etc. along with all the normal offerings.

Weekend rates at both locations tend to be quite reasonable, with Fremont typically under $100.

Bruce

SecondGunman May 2, 2008 10:10 am

I haven't stayed at the SJ Marriott, but will agree with the recommendation for the Fremont Marriott. It's a nice enough place and is quite reasonable.

rylan May 2, 2008 2:04 pm

The Santa Clara Marriott was pretty nice also and quite reasonably priced.

cyberdad May 3, 2008 5:59 pm

Have stayed at both Santa Clara and Downtown FS. Downtown would be my personal choice although Santa Clara is definitely a good property. If you're looking to be more in the middle of the two cities, San Mateo FS Marriott (a complete re-do of the old Dunphy Hotel is also good).

slpybear May 5, 2008 12:23 pm

Fremont Marriott is a great deal on the weekends. Lots of recent improvments and easy to snag an upgrade to CL rooms on weekends. Not many suites and very hard to get during weekday travel with lots of business customers.

If you stay there, you can get a great Italian meal over at Massimo's.. one exit up 880.

DJ_Iceman May 6, 2008 11:07 pm

Yeah, it's unclear what the OP's priorities are but the downtown SJ Marriott is a very nice place. Ultra-modern, with a great restaurant onsite and right in the middle of all the downtown happenings. Service is great, and I've always enjoyed the offerings in the CL.

BA Fan Oct 21, 2008 11:49 am

BA Fan,

It looks like as if I will be starting a 9 month project in silicon Valley and I'm wondering what corporate I should ask for to get a decent rate. WHat are the going corporate rates these days?

Thanks, BA Fan

NDDomer86 Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Not sure but just a thought, maybe the one you're entitled to?

gt6373c Oct 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Totally agreed... I don't have a whole lot of love for the city of San Jose itself (there's nothing there except hard drives and network equipment), however the downtown FS Marriott is excellent. Concierge Lounge on the top floor has a patio, maybe two, on the roof which look out over the city.

Can be a bit pricey at times, and downtown SJ isn't a thriving destination at night, however, the property was top notch.

DJ_Iceman Nov 7, 2008 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by gt6373c (Post 10555026)
...downtown SJ isn't a thriving destination at night...

BELIEVE ME, it's better than it used to be. At least now there are a handful of nice restaurants, bars that actually attract a crowd, and dance clubs that fill up on the weekends. The Marriott is perfectly situated for all of that, and has infinitely better soundproofing than the historic Hyatt St. Claire just across the street.

joshua362 Nov 8, 2008 8:08 pm

Stayed there 2 nights ago on points for a AOPA convention. Of course, 2 months ago when I first went to book something, nothing was available but I checked the night before and got in for 20k. $25 a night to park but would have paid that anyway driving into the convention center twice.

Great CL with a great view and outside porch. Sign said open 24 hours a day and weekends too! Food so-so but plentifully, even ice cream bars available in the mid day.

Got an upgrade to a "Jr. Suite", really nothing special since no separate BD, door of re-frig, but appreciated. Also got a 3pm late checkout without any hassle despite knowing they were pretty full due to the convention. I myself had to wait from 1pm to 5pm to check-in because of the convention. Thanks to Mr. Al Reyes at the FD.

Did have an odd thing happen with the PLT gift. Ordered wine and cheese/fruit platter. It was delivered about 6pm, a beautiful platter of incredible fruit sliced thin in a oh so delightful manner - nothing boxed, canned or pedestrian. I didn't touch it, I was going to enjoy later. I left to meet folks at the CL for about an hour. When I got back, the platter was gone, only the wine and 2 glasses (no corkscrew) remained. I surmised that the turn down crew took it away? A call to the FD got another plate (actually 2) delivered.

At 9pm, jet lagged, I hit the bed only to hear knocking on my door a while later. It took a while for me to get presentable and to the door. It was room service looking to take the tray back!!! Never had that happen before ???

Anyway, a great experience and hotel.

Joeamit Nov 9, 2008 6:02 am

Personally I like the San Jose Marriott is in downtown, I like to walk around downtown in the evening and they have so many options for restaurants, entertainment, etc.

bpauker Nov 9, 2008 4:31 pm

I stayed at the downtown SJ Marriott every week for a few months, and I enjoyed the property quite a bit. It's very convenient to nightlife, restaurants, and the light rail.

I rarely got any kind of upgrade at all, and when I did, it was only to the concierge floors - i.e. no suites of any kind. On one stay, I was given a roomon the 7th floor. I went to my room and turned on my laptop to check Marriott.com. There were CL rooms available for the duration of my stay. I went back downstairs to ask if I could be upgraded to one, and then I was told none were available. I said I'd just seen some on the website. They claimed they had none and that they needed to zero out their inventory. Anyway, I ended up in my original room with no upgrade.

The lounge has great views, though, and the food is better than most. Love the ice cream sandwiches! They had just installed a new refrigerator my last week there in September. The outdoor patio is awesome!