Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Old Jan 19, 20, 10:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I know I'm reviving a thread that has been posted only 9 months ago But curious to see if there are any updates to the elite breakfast offering. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 20, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Ivy's restaurant (Montello) is ending service after tonight in order to focus on pickup and delivery service (with a new menu) starting Wednesday march 18th, according to an email I received from the Jester Concepts restaurant group (which also includes Borough in North Loop and several other modern/fine dining places around Minneapolis). Apparently this applies to all Jester Concepts locations.

I don't know whether the lobby bar will continue to serve light food, including coffee and pastry at the bar for breakfast, or whether the basement bar is included (my guess is that it's operated by the hotel), but this might impact the Ivy's room service as well as the ability to get a power breakfast, nice lunch/brunch, or southern Italian fine dining full course dinner (versus oysters in the lobby bar). Montello also operates its own bar with an interesting bar food menu, but the full dinner menu has been available in the bar too.
Old Aug 15, 20, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The Ivy's restaurant (Montello) is ending service after tonight in order to focus on pickup and delivery service (with a new menu) starting Wednesday march 18th, according to an email I received from the Jester Concepts restaurant group (which also includes Borough in North Loop and several other modern/fine dining places around Minneapolis). Apparently this applies to all Jester Concepts locations.

I don't know whether the lobby bar will continue to serve light food, including coffee and pastry at the bar for breakfast, or whether the basement bar is included (my guess is that it's operated by the hotel), but this might impact the Ivy's room service as well as the ability to get a power breakfast, nice lunch/brunch, or southern Italian fine dining full course dinner (versus oysters in the lobby bar). Montello also operates its own bar with an interesting bar food menu, but the full dinner menu has been available in the bar too.
Thanks, MSPeconomist. I totally thought I had responded to this and evidently I did not.

My Ambassador let me know that the hotel is doing $20 credit (up to 2 people) in Monello for breakfast... Supposedly you can make a reservation to dine-in but we will not be doing that. I also used an SNA that cleared in to a "Suite, 1.5 bathrooms." All of the suites (I believe) that have 1.5 bedrooms are at least 900sqft (starting with the executive suite I believe). A huge upgrade and good value. Will report back.
Old Aug 16, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC they have three suite types (something like Superior, Deluxe, and Executive in that order) that are a subcategory of their standard suites and you can select one or more of them for SNA usage. I suspect that then hotel only has once of each. I've also been upgraded to a suite above their Executive Suite that had an impressive entry and separate office and I've had a junior suite here too, although I don't remember what it was called, but it had an entry with a powder room.

There's also a two story presidential suite with a balcony in the historic portion of the hotel that's designed for entertaining. Recently the Ivy has been marketing it for small COVID-19 weddings and private parties, etc. rather than overnight stays. I think the specialty suite that I had is better except for the balcony area.

BTW, there's a nice but small patio area at the Ivy (bar and Montello food menu I believe) on street level, but more private that a sidewalk cafe. Unfortunately it just looks toward a parking garage and is located on a fairly busy city street (actually avenue) that doesn't see a lot of pedestrians. This might be one of the best downtown options for outdoor dining overall, although the HR has a small area with fire pits, Brits (English sports bar) has a huge upper deck, the LM (legacy Starwood if it's open now) has a very nice enclosed patio area with a big fire pit, but unfortunately smokers hang out here, and there are restaurants/bars/burger joints along Nicollet Mall (pedestrian main shopping zone with buses) with outdoor sidewalk tables. All of this would be longish walkable from the Ivy.

Minneapolis supposedly allows restaurants to put tables in parking lots etc. to create outdoor dining space but I can't think of any nearby restaurant that has done this. Indoor seating is capped at 25-50% and reservations are required for restaurants (governor's order). Customers are not allowed (according to the mayor's order) to sit or stand in indoor bar areas in the city of Minneapolis, but bars are open for indoor (limited to 25-50%) or outdoor table service. With grab and go or curbside food orders, you can also buy one bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer "to go" from the restaurant, but alcohol cannot be delivered to you by restaurants, only liquor stores (statewide).
Old Aug 19, 20, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
IIRC they have three suite types (something like Superior, Deluxe, and Executive in that order) that are a subcategory of their standard suites and you can select one or more of them for SNA usage. I suspect that then hotel only has once of each. I've also been upgraded to a suite above their Executive Suite that had an impressive entry and separate office and I've had a junior suite here too, although I don't remember what it was called, but it had an entry with a powder room.

There's also a two story presidential suite with a balcony in the historic portion of the hotel that's designed for entertaining. Recently the Ivy has been marketing it for small COVID-19 weddings and private parties, etc. rather than overnight stays. I think the specialty suite that I had is better except for the balcony area.

BTW, there's a nice but small patio area at the Ivy (bar and Montello food menu I believe) on street level, but more private that a sidewalk cafe. Unfortunately it just looks toward a parking garage and is located on a fairly busy city street (actually avenue) that doesn't see a lot of pedestrians. This might be one of the best downtown options for outdoor dining overall, although the HR has a small area with fire pits, Brits (English sports bar) has a huge upper deck, the LM (legacy Starwood if it's open now) has a very nice enclosed patio area with a big fire pit, but unfortunately smokers hang out here, and there are restaurants/bars/burger joints along Nicollet Mall (pedestrian main shopping zone with buses) with outdoor sidewalk tables. All of this would be longish walkable from the Ivy.

Minneapolis supposedly allows restaurants to put tables in parking lots etc. to create outdoor dining space but I can't think of any nearby restaurant that has done this. Indoor seating is capped at 25-50% and reservations are required for restaurants (governor's order). Customers are not allowed (according to the mayor's order) to sit or stand in indoor bar areas in the city of Minneapolis, but bars are open for indoor (limited to 25-50%) or outdoor table service. With grab and go or curbside food orders, you can also buy one bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer "to go" from the restaurant, but alcohol cannot be delivered to you by restaurants, only liquor stores (statewide).
Amazing. Thank you MSPEconomist! You are always a wealth of knowledge. We just arrived today. The SNA options only listed one suite as an option, with "1.5 bathrooms." Supposedly they have three types of suites (excluding the bi-level presidential suite), in ascending order by size: Deluxe, Executive, and Grande. The SNA did not display any of these names, just a "Suite." I'm guessing this is because they'll just allocate you whatever of the three suites haven't been booked yet.

We evidently got the "Grande" suite, which goes for $2,000+/night... so our $220 rate here really went a long way with the addition of an SNA. There is a proper entry way, a power room and walk-in closet, a sitting / living area. and a 5-piece dining set combo with an office. I think this is around 1,100 sqft and plenty big for me and my 2 parents (with the addition of a rollaway bed of course).

The breakfast amenity is $20/person, max 2 persons and good in Monello restaurant. We have been on the road from Seattle, en-route to Chicago and do not dine indoors due to the pandemic, so we'll be doing takeout from Monello in the morning.

All of the staff are very friendly... they let me know that when the pandemic first hit, they only had "a few check-ins a week" and now they are up to "10 check-ins a day," which is still apparently way down from their "normal 90-100 check-ins a day." I hope this property makes it, as I've previously stayed at the Le Meridien down the street and think this property is leagues better.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 19, 20, 9:06 pm

Congrats on the suite. You got the one that I really like, although I think there's also s Superior suite of roughly the same size as the Deluxe and Executive which is considered the lowest standard suite. It might have a living room with a brick wall (historic building) and no windows.

BTW, I'm optimistic for the Ivy's survival (despite some earlier problems, including with condo sales) as it's been owned and managed by a local company that seems to run hotels very well. Their managers generally have developed reputations among hospitality employees as being good places for career development and generally good places to work.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: