Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Old Jun 13, 13, 11:46 am
Company Representative - GM, Hotel Ivy, Minneapolis

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager View Post
Thanks Tom ! That is great news. I didn't see it into the Amex brochure but will definitely call them to book.
Can you details which are the benefits of a FHR booking ?
Yul_voyager,
It is my pleasure. Our guests who books through Amex FHR receive the following benefits:
  • Early check-in upon availability
  • Upgraded room type upon availability
  • Gauranteed 4pm Late check-out
  • Continental Breakfast for two Daily
  • Dinner for two once during the stay (excludes alcohol, taxes and gratuity)

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance, and I look forward welcoming you to the Hotel Ivy.

Best,
Old Nov 10, 13, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
Thanks, MSPeconomist!

Right now the Starwood website says this hotel will be leaving Starwood on December 12, 2013, one year after these posts.
Does anyone know whether they're still leaving in December?
Old Nov 11, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat Amb (Lifetime Gold), Avis President's Club
Dunno, but I won't be back there either way. Worst Starwood hotel in MSP for Plat recognition, easily.
Old Nov 12, 13, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by seanc724 View Post
Dunno, but I won't be back there either way. Worst Starwood hotel in MSP for Plat recognition, easily.
Agreed
Old Nov 12, 13, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They seem to get a lot of repeat guests, especially business travelers from a few companies with corporate headquarters in the area.
Old Jul 9, 15, 10:02 am

New restaurant, new executive chef

As people may know, Porter & Frye is gone. The space has been redesigned and is now occupied by a new restaurant called Monello. It looks light with tan chairs, but the bar and less formal dining area is arranged as before. I haven't seen the basement dining room, so I don't know what's been done there. It seems that there will be some emphasis on seafood.

The new executive chef (for the entire hotel, including banquets and of course room service) is named Lecamp, formerly of the renowned creative French restaurant at 510 Groveland called La Belle Vie. This heritage is making me guess that the new restaurant will be more expensive and have less focus on "new American" creative small plates and snacks made from local foods, such as gourmet thin crust pizza or creative sandwiches in the bar area than under the old restaurant and former executive chefs (plural).

Media are reporting that the restaurant gives free valet parking, but I don't think that was true for Porter & Frye so YMMV.

We'll see whether this remains a good place for "power breakfasts."

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 8, 15 at 8:42 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 3, 15, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Does anyone have any more recent info about this hotel? Considering a weekend stay and rates across the upper tier SPG options are all similar, so I'm leaning towards this one.

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 15, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Any recent trip reports? I am deciding whether to stay at the Ivy, Le Meridien, or the Westin.
Old Nov 11, 15, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I'll follow up on my recent request for more info to help out. I've never stayed at the other SPG in the area and this was my first time to MSP so I can't provide much comparison context.

Was in the area for work for the week, so had my wife and kid tag along and then moved here for the weekend. The rates were nearly identical for Ivy, Westin and Le Meridian so figured to give this a shot. Overall I found it a very nice property, fitting what I would expect a Luxury Collection hotel to be. Definitely has a boutique feel, which I prefer. In general, I liked the place and would likely stay there again assuming rates were competitive, but I would not necessarily pay a premium to do so vs. giving the others a try.

I booked a "Grand Deluxe" room, and the room size was nothing special, but the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was gigantic and nicely done with marbled separate tub and shower and windows behind the tub. Oh and a very nice television as well, which was good because I had a particularly important NCAA football game to watch. I did ask about suites at check-in and was unfortunately told I "had been upgraded to a grand deluxe suite" which was not even remotely true as it was neither an upgrade nor a suite, but they seemed pretty busy so I didn't push it. Requested a mini refrigerator, which they provided but it barely worked. Again, not worth hassling over because I just wanted to relax after a rough week.

Did not eat at the property, but stopped by the lobby bar a few times. I felt drinks were overpriced, more so than standard upscale hotel overpriced but had friendly, solid service. There also is what they are calling a "speakeasy" in the basement that I did not visit, but I would attribute that to some of the price premium they were charging. But, as a result the lobby bar was never particularly crowded and had a calmer vibe than downstairs probably did. The bartenders seemed to work both spots and I think they were trying a little too hard to be "creative" with their drinks; I had the hardest time getting a regular martini as they always seemed surprised I didn't want something more elaborate. I also had the opportunity to meet the manager and his wife at the bar after dinner as they had stopped in for a drink and we all had a nice chat, as he seemed generally interested not only in my impressions, but just in general about me and my family.

Also, being short on time lately, I called the Spa and was able to get a last minute haircut appt, which went fine and was reasonably priced; other spa services looked to be about standard for a luxury hotel.

In summary, had a good stay and was what I would expect for a Luxury Collection hotel, and definitely worth the price I paid. I would probably look here first for my next stay in the area, but wouldn't necessarily choose it over the Westin or LM given rates unless I wanted to be sure to guarantee a more upscale experience.
Old Dec 28, 15, 6:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat (LTP), Delta Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, MSC BC, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Recent SPG Plat Experience

So I'm doing the current 9/10/11 promo, and needed a LC stay; so just a one-night Sunday night stay.

My preferred Mpls hotel is Le Meridien Chambers, and then now the Ivy would be my second choice.

My Plat status was noted at check-in. It took all morning for the app to show an upgrade to the Executive Classic Room. (I believe the difference is that the Executive Rooms are on a higher floor, and come w the complimentary waters, internet, and turn-down service.). So even though Jr Suites and other Suites were available for booking, I still only was offered the Executive room on the 15th floor. (I think there's 18 or 19 floors.)

Comfortable room, nice white bedding. Medium-sized bathroom with Molton Brown products.

Turn down service included (2) chocolate mint squares, slippers on bed, small card w weather info, and bucket with ice.

I opted for the 500pts vs the breakfast; and the check-in agent also encouraged me to take the pts as the cold continental breakfast was limited he said.

Parking - I used the SpotHero app and found $5 overnight parking a block away.

Constantine - went to the "subterranean" bar for a few Negroni's and the new "it" burger in Mpls. Burger was not bad for $5.00. Bartenders were super friendly.

Good stay, but wasn't an exceptional stay like I've had at others.
Old May 13, 16, 7:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat (LTP), Delta Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, MSC BC, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
And posted this morning on local Mpls TV station... the most expensive room in the Twin Cities. $5,000 for Penthouse Suite.

Anyone stay in this room? Would be a nice SNA or Ambassador upgrade!

http://www.kare11.com/news/twin-citi...buts/186845865
Old May 13, 16, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by travelista View Post
And posted this morning on local Mpls TV station... the most expensive room in the Twin Cities. $5,000 for Penthouse Suite.

Anyone stay in this room? Would be a nice SNA or Ambassador upgrade!

http://www.kare11.com/news/twin-citi...buts/186845865
The TV coverage that I saw was initiated by this suite having been renovated.

I've stayed in the suite just below this category, which has a separate den/office with a nice big desk as well as an area with a big table (although I'm not sure I'd call it a dining room). Interesting artwork too. This was one night, using an expiring SNA on a cheap rate.

BTW, when they first opened (around the time of the RNC), rack rate for regular rooms was posted as about $3000 per night. I think I saw Carly Fiorina in the lobby of the Ivy the day before the 2008 RNC started. [Sarah Pailin apparently stayed over in St Paul, which was less convenient for the infamous clothes shopping in her suite--I knew the people who supplied her makeover wardrobe.]
Old May 13, 16, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The TV coverage that I saw was initiated by this suite having been renovated.

I've stayed in the suite just below this category, which has a separate den/office with a nice big desk as well as an area with a big table (although I'm not sure I'd call it a dining room). Interesting artwork too. This was one night, using an expiring SNA on a cheap rate.

BTW, when they first opened (around the time of the RNC), rack rate for regular rooms was posted as about $3000 per night. I think I saw Carly Fiorina in the lobby of the Ivy the day before the 2008 RNC started. [Sarah Pailin apparently stayed over in St Paul, which was less convenient for the infamous clothes shopping in her suite--I knew the people who supplied her makeover wardrobe.]
I've done the grand suite as well, upgraded when I had booked the basic suite. Greatly enjoyed it, though I'm surprised to see the bathroom in the penthouse is almost smaller then the Grand Suite's (well the bedroom ones anyway), it looks much narrower.

Ahh the infamous Palin wardrobe, I worked at Neimans in downtown during that
Old Mar 30, 19, 3:01 pm

UPDATE:

I stayed here recently for one night in connection with a wine tasting dinner.

As Amb/LTT, I booked a standard room on a fairly cheap rate and was apparently pre-upgraded only to a larger room. At check in, I asked and was told I had been upgraded (they didn't mention by only one category, unless you count city view as a different category when it sometimes sells for the same rates). I asked about suites and said that I had noticed suites available on line. Then I was given a one bedroom suite which was in excellent condition but looked almost exactly the same as when the hotel first opened in about 2008.

At check in, I was also given a letter saying that I would be comped any one item of my choice from the minibar. Some nice wine was available for a normal charge of about $40-45. Turndown and newspapers were the same as before, with adequate supplies of StarTribune, WSJ, USAToday, and NYT in the lobby and available to be delivered to the room upon request.

There's a new restaurant in the space (there's still the setup with tables in the bar area and more tables behind the wall, in what they call the restaurant) on the first floor that had been Porter and Frye. It's called Monolo and specializes in Italian food. Sunday night is (ONLY) a fixed price southern Italian menu. The downstairs speakeasy bar seems the same, with lots of curtains hanging from the ceiling.

The lobby seating area has been re-done to include a bar with good happy hour specials, including $10 champagne every weekday from 4 to 6 pm, piano music on Fridays, IIRC oysters on Thursdays, etc. In the morning, they sell coffee and pastries here; I hope this isn't considered to be the Plat breakfast. (The restaurant has hot breakfast to order from a menu for power dining.)

Valet parking is $44 overnight (plus tax and tips).

The spa (second floor) is currently closed for renovations; there's some alternate health club arrangement for hotel guests. My understanding is that when it reopens, it will be operated by the hotel.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 31, 19 at 9:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 31, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated. Can you post what they did re: breakfast - whether it was the coffee/pastries or whether it was the hot breakfast? I'll update the exec lounge sticky after you post. Thx.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: