Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]

Old Dec 13, 12, 9:31 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: AUS
Posts: 690
Thanks, MSPeconomist!

Right now the Starwood website says this hotel will be leaving Starwood on December 12, 2013, one year after these posts.
Moriens is offline  
Old Dec 13, 12, 9:57 pm
  #47  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,097
Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
Thanks, MSPeconomist!

Right now the Starwood website says this hotel will be leaving Starwood on December 12, 2013, one year after these posts.
Thank you. Indeed I see that as well as a lot of "high season" dates for award reservations during 2013.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 8:44 pm
  #48  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,097
Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
Thanks, MSPeconomist!

Right now the Starwood website says this hotel will be leaving Starwood on December 12, 2013, one year after these posts.
Now the latest is that the sale of the Ivy to Ameriprise has fallen through. Hence they will continue to operate as they do currently and to participate in SPG until something is resolved.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 18, 12, 8:48 am
  #49  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 12
This property is my favorite, Starwood or otherwise, in MSP, but they have given me every possible explanation as to what the future may hold; yes, no, maybe so, we don't know, come and go, tally ho! The rates had dropped rather drastically for a Feb. stay, so I hope the points and the stay are intact when I arrive.
Tomjoe is offline  
Old Dec 18, 12, 10:00 am
  #50  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,097
Originally Posted by Tomjoe View Post
This property is my favorite, Starwood or otherwise, in MSP, but they have given me every possible explanation as to what the future may hold; yes, no, maybe so, we don't know, come and go, tally ho! The rates had dropped rather drastically for a Feb. stay, so I hope the points and the stay are intact when I arrive.
My impression is that the staff generally seem upset/demoralized about all the ongoing uncertainty.

I can see that Starwood might have too many upper end properties around Minneapolis: the Ivy (LC), Chambers (was an independent boutique hotel and now LM due to the art connection but could easily be LC too), W, plus good (small, not a convention hotel) Westin downtown and good Westin in the suburbs. All (including an aloft) but Chambers were newly built for the Republican National Convention in 2008. Other brands have expanded, but not so much at the upper end, with IIRC a Marriott Courtyard being renamed as Renaissance (at the Depot) and Hotel Minneapolis (Hilton family something, was a Doubletree but it's a large boutique hotel in a historic building) plus Doubletree Suites (Lux or Luxford, which had been an independent semi-residential hotel). Three independent higher end hotels remain: Nicollet Island Inn (historic, on an island across from downtown), Graves 601 (the former LM) and the Grand (larger four-star boutique hotel in what had been the Minneapolis Athletic Club before major renovations within the last five or ten years). This is a lot of capacity for rooms that should be expensive, although on some nights none of the downtown Starwoods are available for less than about $600 (when the aloft is full), while other nights have multiple choices for well under $100.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Dec 18, 12, 4:56 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSP
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Posts: 1,003
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Three independent higher end hotels remain: Nicollet Island Inn (historic, on an island across from downtown), Graves 601 (the former LM) and the Grand
No love for Wyndham?
mattsteg is offline  
Old Dec 19, 12, 6:05 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Thank you. Indeed I see that as well as a lot of "high season" dates for award reservations during 2013.
Well, I just stayed at the Ivy from Dec 10-13, and when I booked on Dec 6, spg.com's detail page on the Ivy showed that they were leaving SPG on January 4th. That information was further confirmed by both a telephone Platinum Concierge I reached that evening (as I had made an error in my booking which I was trying to rectify) as well as my "regular" PC the next day via email.

The rooms are quite lovely, with the high ceilings and the diffuse lighting above that ceiling being very pleasant in the evenings. Unfortunately, I think you are right about the staff being demoralized and off their game. Housekeeping forgot to come by on one day, and another saw the front desk forget to give me a wakeup call (they admitted it was just overlooked and popped me some points, but I'd confirmed it in person twice).

I look forward to giving them another shot next year now that they're staying. While I often stay at Ws, I've been told that the Foshay's rooms are too easy to see into from the Oracle Tower (and exhibitionism isn't my thing).
landeej is offline  
Old Dec 27, 12, 10:08 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: SPG PLAT, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PLAT
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by northdakota View Post
Looks like it is leaving *wood on 1/4/12.
Looks like the SPG website has changed yet again and yes I meant 1/4/13. Good to hear it's going to be under the Starwood flag for awhile longer!
northdakota is offline  
Old Dec 27, 12, 3:46 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by landeej View Post
Housekeeping forgot to come by on one day).
That's a pretty big oversight, no?
Minneapolis is offline  
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:01 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
That's a pretty big oversight, no?
Quite so, but I've been getting a little disillusioned by Luxury Collection properties lately (see my review on the Fairfax in DC). I let the Front Desk know, they took care of it and apologized, but not in terms of points (those were for the missed wake-up call) and I was too swamped with work to kick up a fuss about it.

I was quite clear and descriptive in the Starwood survey I received post-stay, but oddly enough nobody from the property has reached out in the 2 weeks since about it.
landeej is offline  
Old May 19, 13, 8:00 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec and Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,720
Any recent stay at the Ivy ? I looked the rate this summer and it is incredibly cheap compared to the same period last year... Also the hotel left FHR (too bad, there is no FHR hotel in the whole Minnesota now)...
Is it still a good choice or do I have to look at other hotels in Minneapolis (LM, W, Westin ?)
Yul_voyager is online now  
Old May 19, 13, 9:59 pm
  #57  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,097
That's too bad about FHR. I'm a fan of that program, although at some properties you must pay a high rate (regardless of season and occupancy) to get the benefits.

I would probably rank these four (there's also an aloft on the edge of downtown) Starwood properties as about equivalent with some unique features and slightly different location pros and cons. However, in all but the Ivy, standard rooms are small and can have small bathrooms. Also, IIRC the Ivy is the only one in which every room has a bathtub--in fact, a decently large garden tub with a separate large shower stall in a beige marble bathroom. (Some rooms have windows in the bathrooms.) All of these hotels have some nice (especially above and beyond) suite upgrades, but they also tend to get elite-heavy clienteles, so the odds of getting a good upgrade aren't very high especially during the business week, even though they have reasonable numbers of suites.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 30, 13, 9:38 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec and Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,720
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's too bad about FHR. I'm a fan of that program, although at some properties you must pay a high rate (regardless of season and occupancy) to get the benefits.

I would probably rank these four (there's also an aloft on the edge of downtown) Starwood properties as about equivalent with some unique features and slightly different location pros and cons. However, in all but the Ivy, standard rooms are small and can have small bathrooms. Also, IIRC the Ivy is the only one in which every room has a bathtub--in fact, a decently large garden tub with a separate large shower stall in a beige marble bathroom. (Some rooms have windows in the bathrooms.) All of these hotels have some nice (especially above and beyond) suite upgrades, but they also tend to get elite-heavy clienteles, so the odds of getting a good upgrade aren't very high especially during the business week, even though they have reasonable numbers of suites.
Thanks
I finally booked the Ivy using a signature travel network rate, including breakfast, upgrade if available and a 50$ F&B offer. A little bit below FHR perks but still very good for the price.
I will also try Le Méridien and the Westin (I am working on Plat qualification by stays, so...)
Yul_voyager is online now  
Old Jun 12, 13, 3:01 pm
  #59  
Company Representative - GM, Hotel Ivy, Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: SPG
Posts: 29
AMEX FHR

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager View Post
Any recent stay at the Ivy ? I looked the rate this summer and it is incredibly cheap compared to the same period last year... Also the hotel left FHR (too bad, there is no FHR hotel in the whole Minnesota now)...
Is it still a good choice or do I have to look at other hotels in Minneapolis (LM, W, Westin ?)

Dear Yul_voyager,
Thank you for your post. I am happy to say that the Hotel Ivy did not leave AMEX FHR program and has been a member since 2008. We are still participating in the FHR program and will be happy to have you as our guest in the very near future.

Best,
tomhazay is offline  
Old Jun 12, 13, 6:46 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec and Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,720
Originally Posted by tomhazay View Post
Dear Yul_voyager,
Thank you for your post. I am happy to say that the Hotel Ivy did not leave AMEX FHR program and has been a member since 2008. We are still participating in the FHR program and will be happy to have you as our guest in the very near future.

Best,
Thanks Tom ! That is great news. I didn't see it into the Amex brochure but will definitely call them to book.
Can you details which are the benefits of a FHR booking ?
Yul_voyager is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: