FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/817990-ivy-minneapolis-luxury-collection-master-thread.html)

woofie Nov 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by savedsol (Post 12827770)
My second stay at the Ivy was two nights last week. A simply beautiful hotel and room and a very catering staff. The Ivy Spa toiletries are reason enough to choose this over the Westin - and I'm usually not one to care about such things. The gym is truly huge and unlike any hotel gym I've seen. Location is great being 2 blocks off of Nicolette and near my favorite Thai place King and I.

My only gripes are - paid internet (I don't get it, how can Four Points not charge while the "premiums" do?) and pricey valet parking (despite in & out privileges) that require lots of tips every time you leave.

The Hotel Ivy is my favorite hotel anywhere. I love the warm decor and base moulding, the carpet, the bed, Sferra bedding and towels, toiletries, and the bathroom. It feels like a home. Even the standard rooms that I got as SPG Gold were wonderful.

You nailed my only gripe about this hotel -- the internet is pricy at $14.95/night, even if it is fast (3 Mbps). It irks me that alofts and Four Points offer free internet, while Cat 4's and 5's don't.

I only visit Minneapolis for pleasure, so I usually don't have a car. On my last trip, my AA flight was so delayed that I missed the last Metro and had to rent. I parked in the ramps across the street... It was like $9-$13 per day and connected to Ivy via skyway.

I do dislike that they use the public elevators to bring up room service meals, so they always smell like food.

EWRFlyerAL Apr 19, 2010 8:45 am

I stayed here this weekend. As a Plat I was upgraded from a Traditional room to a Grand Deluxe room. It had a great bathroom with a separate tub/huge glass shower overlooking the city. When I checked in I asked about a suite upgrade and was told that I was upgraded to a suite. It clearly wasn't, but it was nice enough that I didn't care (and incidentally had a higher rate than the Junior Suites available on SPG. Bath amenities are all in large 3 oz. bottles and very nice. Points were given as the amenity and posted next day. Valet parking is $25 per day, which I think is reasonable. I had a very nice brunch in the restaurant. All of the food was very good. The gym and spa are very nice and free for Plats to use (I was told this by the front desk and spa attendant and wasn't charged).

JFKSFOLAX_friend Jul 25, 2010 11:53 am

sub par stay

Received the smallest room I have ever gotten there. Superior room on a middle floor. Very dark. Called down for and asked for a possible upgrade. Told no dice even though a better room was on spg.com. was told the room was "out of inventory."

Internet (both wireless and wired) weren't working. Tech came up and he also couldn't get wireless to work on his mobile phone. I didn't have much time as I needed to run to dinner so I wasn't able to get needed work done.

Upon check out, internet was on my bill. When I said that needed to be removed, agent's reply was: "why should it be removed?" When said I was platinum, rely was: "oh, okay." Shouldn't this be automated (and can't you see my status on the computer screen you are staring at)?

Lousy room, technical glitches, mediocre stay. (Great bed, nice shower)

tinytina Jul 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 14361936)
Received the smallest room I have ever gotten there. Superior room on a middle floor. Very dark. Called down for and asked for a possible upgrade. Told no dice even though a better room was on spg.com. was told the room was "out of inventory."

Internet (both wireless and wired) weren't working. Tech came up and he also couldn't get wireless to work on his mobile phone. I didn't have much time as I needed to run to dinner so I wasn't able to get needed work done.

Upon check out, internet was on my bill. When I said that needed to be removed, agent's reply was: "why should it be removed?" When said I was platinum, rely was: "oh, okay." Shouldn't this be automated (and can't you see my status on the computer screen you are staring at)?

I just had a nice one-night stay here this last weekend. "Upgraded" to a Grand Deluxe (I think?) on 15th floor. I'm sure a nicer room was available but I was too tired to ask.

The wireless wasn't working on my laptop, but it was working on my blackberry. Still, since I couldn't do any work on my blackberry, I went down to their "business center" (one computer in the lobby) to do work. I barely got any time on it because so many people were waiting for it. On my bill, the internet fee was automatically removed.

Love the toiletries and the bed there.

ComancheRunner Jul 25, 2010 10:10 pm

no plat upgrade!

i also stayed in the ivy last friday (went to see a play at the guthrie). i did not get upgraded from the base room at check-in. was something going on in the city? i did enjoy my stay there however. the gym was great! i also liked the grapefruit-smelling toiletries in the room.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Jul 26, 2010 10:09 am

Originally Posted by tinytina (Post 14362878)
I went down to their "business center" (one computer in the lobby) to do work.

I was not aware of this option and nobody mentioned it even though I said I needed to look something up before dinner. :rolleyes:

JFKSFOLAX_friend Aug 4, 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 14361936)

In the past, I have asked people that had poor stays to contact Starwood Customer Care (CC) so that issues don't repeat themselves. So, after this stay, I decide to contact CC and pass along my comments. I asked that the comments be shared with the property's GM.

Well, today I got a message from CC that said they were sending the comments to the GM. Within ten minutes the GM emailed me and asked for a few hours to look into my issues.

By the end of the day, the GM replied and addressed all of my concerns. Basically, he said I should have been upgraded and "That not occurring was due to misinterpretation by new staff of what comes with or doesn’t come with the Starpick rate. That has been corrected." ^ (This is proof positive of why it is important to contact Customer Care over issues. The GM didn't know there was a misunderstanding among his staff regarding upgrades on Starpicks rates.)

In my email to CC, I mentioned that there are tremendous options in Minneapolis (Chambers, Westin, W Foshay, etc.). In his email, the GM said: "I agree with your observation that there is tremendous choice of Starwood brands in this market, and I would never discourage you or anyone else from trying them. I don’t want to lose your business though, and will fight on to keep it." (my bolding) ^^

He closed the email by saying: "It would be a privilege to meet you in person and to host your next stay. I hope for the opportunity."

Needless to say, very impressed.

tinytina Aug 13, 2010 3:57 am

Stayed here again last night, got pretty much the same room as last time xx08 (Grand Deluxe Room). Has anyone ever gotten a real upgrade here as a Plat?

Again, the internet didn't work for me... I let the front desk know on my way out but didn't have time to troubleshoot.

NDDomer86 Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am

I had to cancel a reservation here last minute but noticed I'd been upgraded to a suite... seems I should have counted myself lucky and regret I couldn't honor the reservation...

TrentEMN Aug 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Stayed here 8-14 to 8-15. Booked (and paid for) a Deluxe 1K, noticed on app that I was downgraded to a Deluxe 2Q because the 1K was 'easier to sell'. Had to call Plat Concierge to get it back to 1K. Junior and PH suites both available, and girl at front desk told concierge that they just don't upgrade anyone into those....even though they had given me the Junior Suite before. VERY disappointing.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by TrentEMN (Post 14518165)
Stayed here 8-14 to 8-15. Booked (and paid for) a Deluxe 1K, noticed on app that I was downgraded to a Deluxe 2Q because the 1K was 'easier to sell'. Had to call Plat Concierge to get it back to 1K. Junior and PH suites both available, and girl at front desk told concierge that they just don't upgrade anyone into those....even though they had given me the Junior Suite before. VERY disappointing.

As I've said in the past (in this thread, in fact), if you feel like you've been denied an upgrade you should have received, open a Customer Service file with SPG. This is the only way things will change. Hotels are dinged when customers open these files. If enough customers open files, the hotel will correct the problem. Coming on here to complain won't have as big of an impact as: 1) complaining to SPG and 2) complaining on here.

You need to do both....

As you can see above, I opened a file with SPG. The GM of the property quickly replied and admitted that I should have been upgraded. He promised to take care of me next time through.

Minneapolis Sep 3, 2010 7:56 am

Just a heads up: this property is a Minneapolis Living Social Deal of the Day (similar to Groupon).

One-Night Stay in Superior Room + $40 Toward Spa Services for $119. Not bad, but not spectacular. Must use before 12/23/10.

Purchase coupons by 9/5/10.

http://livingsocial.com/deals?prefer...mail%20address...

JFKSFOLAX_friend Sep 3, 2010 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Minneapolis (Post 14596753)
Just a heads up: this property is a Minneapolis Living Social Deal of the Day (similar to Groupon).

One-Night Stay in Superior Room + $40 Toward Spa Services for $119. Not bad, but not spectacular. Must use before 12/23/10.

Great deal. I can't find anything in the T&C that this deal is limited to weekends. And, I guess you book directly with the hotel? Not quite sure how this works and there isn't much listed in the T&C. I guess the voucher explains everything...but you have to buy first?

TXRW Dec 20, 2010 1:47 pm

Hotel Ivy Minneapolis - a great hotel

Here is my experience after 5 stays at the Hotel Ivy in Minneapolis. Overall a great hotel

Staff: The staff is excellent. After my first visit Jonathan and Lacey at the front desk remembered my name and always took a minute to be personable. I forgot to book my 3rd week reservation and Jonathan got me booked even though they were officially sold out. I didn't have to beg, plead or ask for special treatment as a plat.

Rooms: The rooms are fantastic. I am not a bath guy but all of my rooms had a huge bathtub and a great view of the city. The rooms at the Ivy were better than average with the simple extras that to me make a difference like regular sized q-tips, a nice working desk and most importantly a fast internet connection that has been very reliable

Facilities: The gym at the Ivy is by far the best gym I have ever had at a hotel. I am a crossfit.com regular which requires some odd equipment and almost always requires a barbell with free weights which are never avail at a hotel, but the hotel ivy gym is a regular gym not just a set of treadmills and universal weights.

Restaurant: The Porter and Finn is a great restaurant and has a great vibe. I usually travel Mon-Thu so I catch Ricardo at the bar for a night or two each week to grab a bite to eat. Ricardo works Sun-Wed (I think) and is a great guy who can help tell you a bit about the city, where to go and where to eat. Best of all they have Fulton IPA on draft and cold bottles of Duvel in the fridge.

Spa: I am not a spa guy but I do admit to taking in a couple of massages to ease the muscles from the workouts; what else do you do when it is -6F and blowing snow. The spa facilities were very nice and I highly recommend sport massages from Brook or Kate. Absolutely fantastic.

ehud Dec 31, 2010 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Minneapolis (Post 14596753)

Just for reference - are those rates booked through groupon or other similar sites considered eligible stays?