FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/809799-ritz-carlton-tokyo-japan-master-thread.html)

jimrpa Apr 6, 2008 2:53 pm

Ritz Carlton Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

I did a search and couldn't find anything conclusive or recent, so my apologies if this has already been covered and I didn't uncover it, but a few questions about the Ritz Carlton in Tokyo.
1. I'll be on a 3-night award stay at the end of April and am wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the hotel that they can share? tips? trip reports? comments about the hotel/staff/etc? Things to look out for?
2/ As a Platinum, can I expect any of my Platinum benefits (lounge access, breakfast, etc.) at the Ritz Carlton? (I suspect the answer is no, based on what I've been able to find here, but what little I've found is old and vague. I'm hoping for something definitive.). Can I at least request late checkout?

hhoope01 Apr 6, 2008 3:18 pm

I haven't stayed at that RC, so I can't comment on staying there directly. But I can say that your Marriott Plat status probably won't get you much. It can't hurt to mention it when you check-in, but RCs don't generally recognize your status.

NDDomer86 Apr 6, 2008 6:24 pm

After you make your reservation on the Ritz Carlton site and receive your confirmation number, enter that information on the Marriott site and then click "Add Marriott Rewards number to reservation". This will at least put the number on the reservation, although as to whether it actually means anything is up to the individual property. Marriott elite status has no published benefits for Ritz Carlton properties, however, some properties will make exceptions if you mention your elite status. For example, I have been granted late checkouts when otherwise told no after mentioning platinum status at a few properties.

xcor635 Apr 7, 2008 10:00 pm

Awesome Hotel

I stayed at the Ritz Tokyo in November on points. I can't say enough about the hotel and the staff; they are wonderful. I am a platinum elite member and either the hotel recognized it or they treat every guest like royalty. It took time to get used to the women carrying your bags as I am not used to this in the US. Don't worry about tipping either; they consider it an insult.

Ask for a traditional Japanese room. Very impressive with Maple hardwood, Shoji Screens, Tatami mats, and Rice Paper Lamps.

The hotel is in Roppongi which is the 'Red Light' district of Tokyo. If you go out at night, be prepared to be stopped every few feet for a massage with happy ending.

njxbean Dec 28, 2010 8:51 am

Any recent experiences staying here? I am going to be visiting Tokyo later in the year. Deciding between this and the Courtyard.

Motorskills Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I've booked a couple of reward night for my wife and I in June at the Tokyo RC.

We're on a bit of a budget, but I'm considering paying the extra for rooms on the Club Level (around about $100 per room per night, correct?). I'm thinking for the views of the Tokyo skyline, plus free food and drink it might be worthwhile - any thoughts?

If we do decide to do this, can this be arranged in advance?
If so what should I ask for (there seem to be some options), and can I reserve the Club Level via the Platinum hotline?

njxbean Apr 11, 2012 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Motorskills (Post 18370639)
I've booked a couple of reward night for my wife and I in June at the Tokyo RC.

We're on a bit of a budget, but I'm considering paying the extra for rooms on the Club Level (around about $100 per room per night, correct?). I'm thinking for the views of the Tokyo skyline, plus free food and drink it might be worthwhile - any thoughts?

If we do decide to do this, can this be arranged in advance?
If so what should I ask for (there seem to be some options), and can I reserve the Club Level via the Platinum hotline?

You can email the concierge(their email is on the website) and tell them you want to upgrade. They will set it up for you.

It was very cool. But for me, it wasnt really worth it. the food was extremely small plates, difficult to get full on IMO. The views were nice though and the service is OUTSTANDING. If i did the Tokyo RC again, i probably wouldn't do the club level.

Motorskills Jun 6, 2012 3:10 am

Originally Posted by xcor635 (Post 9535555)
I stayed at the Ritz Tokyo in November on points. I can't say enough about the hotel and the staff; they are wonderful. I am a platinum elite member and either the hotel recognized it or they treat every guest like royalty. It took time to get used to the women carrying your bags as I am not used to this in the US. Don't worry about tipping either; they consider it an insult.

Ask for a traditional Japanese room. Very impressive with Maple hardwood, Shoji Screens, Tatami mats, and Rice Paper Lamps.

The hotel is in Roppongi which is the 'Red Light' district of Tokyo. If you go out at night, be prepared to be stopped every few feet for a massage with happy ending.

Originally Posted by njxbean (Post 18371823)
You can email the concierge(their email is on the website) and tell them you want to upgrade. They will set it up for you.

It was very cool. But for me, it wasnt really worth it. the food was extremely small plates, difficult to get full on IMO. The views were nice though and the service is OUTSTANDING. If i did the Tokyo RC again, i probably wouldn't do the club level.

Just checked in, service so far has been impressive and very friendly.

Without asking, we got a free upgrade to a Tower Suite.
The suite is huge . The walk-in closet is bigger than my one at home....and I live in Texas! :eek::)

Views from the 51st are very impressive, we are facing Haneda airport in the distance.

The desk clerk very kindly let my wife and I take a look at the Japanese room. But to be honest, as pretty as it was, there's no way I could cope with sitting on the floor for any length of time!

(As it happens, I couldn't justify the increased dollar cost to switch anyway, so it was academic).

Now off to tackle the Roppongi night life, wish us luck! :)

baccarat_king Feb 5, 2015 12:59 am

Any recent updates on this property? Just booked 4 nights (in two weeks) after 2 nights (on points) at the Kyoto-Ritz.

Moderators, can you also fix the the thread title "Rtiz" is driving me crazy. LOL

ABG Feb 5, 2015 5:40 pm

The Treat You Package 4 for 3 is probably available for your dates baccarat_king... it is only valid to my knowledge on the club rooms so it basically equate to free club access vs the standard rates.

JohnRain Mar 9, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king (Post 24294692)
Any recent updates on this property? Just booked 4 nights (in two weeks) after 2 nights (on points) at the Kyoto-Ritz.

Moderators, can you also fix the the thread title "Rtiz" is driving me crazy. LOL

How was your stay baccarat_king?
I'm goint to be there in a month and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

anjeo Jan 20, 2017 9:32 am

recent visits here ?

I'll be at The Ritz Tokyo for 7 nights at the end of April - using points and hoping Plat Status gets an upgrade - Has anyone been here recently? Thanks

op487062 Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am

Stayed in a Modern Japanese Suite in October for four nights. If you have access, the Club-level rooms are very nice to have because of the extra service/food they provide. Their concierge was prompt with response for restaurant recommendations/reservations.

Depending on what your plans are, the location is desirable because it is within walking distance to Aoyama, Akasaka and sits above a subway stop.

bgriff Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

A data point should anyone be interested:

I have a one-night stay at the R-C Tokyo coming up in April for a single night at the end of a trip before flying home out of HND. (Staying at the SPG Prince Gallery Kioicho for 3 nights during the Tokyo section at the start of the trip.)

Award reservations online book into a non-specified bed type, so I emailed the hotel to inquire about confirming a King bed, and they were happy to do so -- so worth sending the request if you are in a similar position.

I also inquired about the rates to upgrade to a Club room and the cash rate was 37,260 JPY per night, which is too rich for my blood. But, they also offered the upgrade for 20,000 points per night, which is a pretty solid value per point relative to the cash price, and I think much more justifiable.

So, I took the upgrade using points, and will report back on the experience after the trip.

kkl Feb 21, 2017 12:54 am

20k a night would be worth it. How would they going about deducting the points?

Will Def look into this next time I'm in tokyo