Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa, El Vendrell, near Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa, El Vendrell, near Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Thanks - I'm also booking J saver class on the return flight. It should give me an overnight in either FRA or IST. Never been to either city. Which would you choose?

Also LH 747 upper deck vs Turkish 777 J class experience?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
FRA is a typical German business oriented city with not too much to see...it's a different story if you have time to see the surrounding areas. IST is hands down the most culturally interesting city I have been to. Experiencing IST might be a challenge if you just have an overnight.

I have only experienced LH J between the US and Europe and never been on TK. I hear great things about TK so I would personally try that option and I have read their lounge is very good. LH is reliable BUT I think their catering has gone way downhill in recent years and I have been avoiding them more and more in recent years...I usually take SQ in J between FRA and JFK as it is much better.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinium, Hilton Gold, AA Gold
Recent Stay in Le Meridian Ra Beach

The Property has a nice location near the beach. The beach and the Spa are the most attractive features. The service is so so. The rooom service very week. You need to call few times to get anything delivered to your room. The breakfast selection comparing to other Starwood properties in Spain is good. Nice selection and various food including the Catalonia corner with local food. On the other hand, the waitresses need significant training. They are very very young and looks like this is just a sesonal job for them. I stayed here at the end of July, so it was a busy time in the hotel. Be aware of car parking fee and the resort fee which they charge. The hotel is a 40 minute car drive from PortAventura Theme Park in Salou and the same from Barcelona El Prat airport. Overall nice location with the need to improve the service. You can consider it a 4 star hotel. As Platinium amenity, I selected breakfast which was a good choice. The food for lunch in the beach restaurant was good as well. Drinks will cost you €10 each.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:32 am

I just came from Le Meridien RA Beach and I am very dissapointed. There is no SPG recognition at all, really nothing special for SPG platinum guests, no spg cravings, no welcome drink but denying of hard spg benefits as an available late check out.

There is one welcome single Espresso for one(!) person included in ressort fee per stay. So your partner have to pay for it if you don't want to drink alone at the bar. There are even no kettles at the room in case you want to make a tea or coffee on your own.

Even every morning I was told that my breakfast wasn't included. So nearly every morning I have to explain that as SPG platinum member I've chosen breakfast as part of my platinum membership at check in. I had the feeling that nobody from staff was familiar with SPG.

I have booked the highest categorie a duplex suite. We wantet to extend our stay. So I asked the hotel if can get a room where a late check out is possible. I would change the room for the last night. I clearly stated the worst room would be enough, only a Late Check Out would be necessary. I would waive any upgrade for a late check out.

The first offer was, that I should book two nights for the late check out. One night later they told me that the booking situation has changed. Now there was a late check out at a mid-level room available. But late check ist subject to charge. So they wanted to have a Late-Check Out charge of roughly 50 Euro. No discussion possible. Even platinum members have to pay for an avaible late-check out.

To be clear: it was an ressort hotel but subject to availibilty of a late check out was given! Even cash & points rates were available. Online I could book plenty of rooms for more than one day at all categories.

After I leave I contacted spg.com. Now the hotel management answers that the behavior of the hotel was unbelievable and of course I've had the right of a free late-check out. Unbelievable what happend.

As an appology I am invited to have something to eat and drink, in case I will come back once. I am living 1000 miles away. I cannot believe that this should be the solution.

In my opiniton its seems that the hotel fails and tries to avoid cost under any circumstances. So in this case they deny a hard benefit and there are no consquences. I think this is very poor.
@Starwood Lurker what is the general procedure at spg if a property denies a hard benefit?

Last edited by MrSnoot78; Jul 28, 2018 at 12:45 am
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed here last summer and also found the service lacking and the platinum recognition very poor as the above poster. I booked two mid-level rooms and was contacted a few days beforehand asking if I wanted to pay to upgrade the rooms further. When I declined and asked if any complimentary Platinum upgrades were available I was emailed right back saying they were very full and no Platinum upgrades were possible. At check-in we were given keys to the wrong rooms. Upon returning to the front desk the staff were completely unapologetic. Worst of all my daughter and I had multiple skin bites overnight, which I assume were bed bugs.

I would never return.
MrSnoot78 likes this.

Last edited by eyeball1; Jul 28, 2018 at 11:43 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very strange...

Every time I stay at this hotel, I am offered a glass of cava at check-in. As a Platinum, I also invariably get a complimentary bottle of cava sent up to the room.

I booked two rooms in 2017 and the hotel provided 4 complimentary breakfasts, which is above and beyond.

I suppose the key point is YMMV. This hotel is only open for the summer season, which probably means that training staff to an appropriate standard is difficult. And this would hardly be the only SPG resort to decide that they don't want to deal with late check-outs.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Shame to hear that some people are experiencing poor (or nonexistent) recognition of SPG status. We stayed here 4 years ago and the staff was practically tripping over themselves trying to make our stay special. We’re planning on staying again later in August. Hopefully what people are reporting are isolated incidences. I’ll report back with my experiences.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:24 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I too am surprised. But it can happen. It all comes down to management.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:49 am

For me, one really strange thing is the complementary single espresso one for one person at the bar. In this ressort almost everyone is here with +1. So I think it is not a nice gesture but as means for the purpose of gaining more revenue from the companian.

Moreover the service at the restaurants is very slow but it can happen. My wife wanted to have a glass of wine and I've orderd a beer. The beer was served immediately but the wine was forgotten. Also, we had to wait more than 20minutes to get the bill..

It is a really a pitty. The house is very nice and well maintanend. I would even come back if there would be a little bit of SPG recognition.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Hi -- We're staying at the Le Meridien in El Vendrell later this month and we are deciding whether to pre-purchase the breakfast buffet (they are offering a 50% discount). We are inclined to not buy it and eat breakfast outside the hotel but aren't sure if there are any decent cafes nearby. Can anyone comment on whether there are other decent breakfast options nearby? Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by haveric
Hi -- We're staying at the Le Meridien in El Vendrell later this month and we are deciding whether to pre-purchase the breakfast buffet (they are offering a 50% discount). We are inclined to not buy it and eat breakfast outside the hotel but aren't sure if there are any decent cafes nearby. Can anyone comment on whether there are other decent breakfast options nearby? Thanks.
Take a look at Google Maps. You are a fair walk from civilisation. But there are worse things that a morning walk along the beach...

Breakfast here is really quite good FWIW. Including cava. Excellent buffet with lots to choose from.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Recent Stay Report (August 2018)

We just wrapped up a 5 night stay at Le Meridien Ra Beach. This was our 2nd trip in 4 years and we returned because we had a great experience last time. In general, this time didn’t disappoint as everything was as good / better than last time. The hotel is a 5* property, but I’d put it a level below others like the Maria Cristina in San Sebastián and even the Marques de Riscal in El Ciego.

Platinum Recognition (What you really care about): For me, platinum recognition is less about the upgrades (though they are appreciated) but more about how the staff makes my stays more enjoyable (little things) and fixes things if things go wrong. Kind of like when flying, I think elite status is the most important when things go wrong. (Maybe my expectations are just too low.) Sure, they greeted me at the front desk and thanked me for being a platinum member. (Though I never know what to say to that - you’re welcome?) We didn’t get a massive upgrade this time - last time we were at the property, we were upgraded to a nice suite. This time, we were put in a partial oven view room. Not huge, but big enough for what we needed given most of our time was spent at the beach, pool, bar or out in the nearby town. Totally understandable as the hotel was nearly completely booked. That being said, it never felt crowded. One example of fixing things was when we checked in, the thermostat in our room didn’t work. There wasn’t another room easily available that we could keep for the entire stay, but the GM intervened and shuffled around a few other check-ins to get us a room that we could stay in the entire time. Another nice touch was that they knew we were staying for 5 nights with my family so they delivered full sized toiletries to the room (instead of the minis). They also delivered a bottle of cava and some snacks on our first night (I think standard for platinums) as well as a bottle of wine, a cheese platter and some desserts on our last night. Big shout out to Martin (the guest experience manager), Mark at the front desk, the entire staff at the kids club (Pablo, Victor, Laia, Theresa) and the beach club manager (Manalo? Who is retiring after 14 years working at the hotel).

Room: The room was nicely remodeled since our last stay. Exactly what you would expect from Le Meridien, though for some reason, the bathroom was a little off. It was modern in design, but it just didn’t feel like it was put together well. Almost like it was slapped together with materials and workmanship that were one grade too low.

Staff: The staff is as nice as can be. We got to know most by name and they were quite helpful. Service can be slow, but we were on vacation in Spain. I was ok with a little delay as we weren’t in a rush to get anywhere / do anything.

Dining: The breakfast buffet (included as a platinum guest) was very good. Not quite great, but it’s a pretty expansive spread of options including alcohol (wine and cava). They even found out about our love for avocados and managed to produce a few every day from their kitchen for us. The rest of the meals we had (lunch and snacks) were good but not great. Largely salads, pizzas, sandwiches - what you would expect for beach fare. We went out to dinner every night and had some lovely meals within walking distance.

Beach Club: This is where we spent most of our time with the kids. They loved it. Not being a huge beach person, I preferred the pool, but even this beach hater liked the beach here. Well laid out, soft sand and water that wasn’t too cold. The water was a little silty from the waves and sand, but overall it wasn’t bad. The beach club has a restaurant and service at your chair - but staffing was a bit light. There’s also an area where you can borrow SUP and kayaks. The one thing I didn’t love about the beach chairs was how they allocated the umbrellas. From what I was told, the entire front row is pre-reserved for hotel VIPs (not platinum btw). These VIPs include friends of the hotel owner, corporate clients, etc. Doesn't seem like the right way, but we managed to survive in the second row of lounges.

Pool: I really liked the pool deck. Located on the roof of the building, it was set back from the beach a ways but you could still see the ocean from the dining area. There are comfortable loungers, a handful of round couches and a few shaded day beds. The one thing I didn’t love was that the restaurant by the pool only served a buffet style meal.

Kids Club: Since the last time we were here, the kids club was fully remodeled and was really nice. The staff was super friendly and great with the kids. They had open hours (from 10-1 and again from 3-7) as well as organized activities for the kids ranging from sports (football, volleyball, frisbee) and indoor arts, crafts, etc.

Overall a good stay. It’s a nice hotel in a small beach community. We’ll be back.
SanDiego1K and SunshineStay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.