FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort, Cancun [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/809239-westin-lagunamar-ocean-resort-cancun-master-thread.html)

TravelWithMiles Apr 25, 2013 11:17 am

I just stayed at this property for one night on a $125 AAA rate for the studio suite. I waved around my SPG Platinum status a bit and got an upgrade from the 4th floor studio suite to a 2nd floor 1 BR Suite in building 2 ocean view. The view was a little obstructed with palm trees but still quite nice. I wasn't able to check in until 3:15 though.

They said I could either have 750 starpoints or breakfast buffet for two. I took the breakfast and it was pretty awesome. Try the mini Belgian waffles and free Bloody Marys or Mimosas. Mmmmmm.

The default check out is 10 AM (!) but we went down about 11 after we ate breakfast and asked as a platinum what late checkout we could get and they gave us until 3 PM which worked out well with our flights.

I really liked the property and would stay here again. The wifi as everyone has mentioned doesn't really work well at all. Bring a mini router / access point if it is critical for you to tap into the wired internet in the room.

spellbound2 May 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Westin Lagunamar or Westin Cancun Royal Beach Club?

We are debating whether to stay here or the RBC for Christmas. We've heard great things about both. We are both gold status and plan to use an award. If you have stayed at both or seen both, which would you choose? Thanks!

Fizzer May 29, 2013 3:22 am

Stayed at Lagunamar in April and visited RBC for a meal. Found the latter older, dingier and darker. Glad we were at Lagunamar, although it is a timeshare rather than a hotel so may not have same upgrade options etc. Lagunamar is bright, modern and far more centrally located. RBC is quite out of the way.

El Miameņo Jun 1, 2013 11:01 am

Internet Service

Just came back yesterday from a week's stay.

I work in technology for a Top 10 company and spoke poolside to a man from Juniper Networks. He said he talked to their IT team (at least they have one) and was told they are locked into a contract. When that's over, they are going to re-do their entire wireless system.

Since I go there a couple of times a year, I've gotten to know them quite well. They are VERY frustrated as well.

They were sold out and even the in room access point didnt work for me, nor did my Airport.

They are obviously over-subscribed.

UA2PEK Jun 7, 2013 8:27 pm

It is quiet funny to me that everyone complains about the owners getting better service. What do you expect, SVO owners pay for and deserve the service they get! Wifi is not that bad, you just have to find the best spots, around the pool and in the lobby work fine. Wired connection worked great in rooms. Just spent a week there with 2 one bedroom ocean front suites and had no problems at all. Learn to use the city buses ASAP and go the Sams, Costo, Walmart, or Superama (grocery owned by Walmart) for groceries and enjoy. This is a great place to stay in Cancun.

bobpark56 Jun 9, 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jimcoddington (Post 20524393)
I have read this entire thread, and the following two places where recommened for transferring to/from CUN airport to the resort:

1. Round trip shared shuttle transportation through BestDay was $34.
2. Cancun Transfers, the fare was $55 round trip.

Any other suggestions? Of these two, which one would you receommend?

Thank you.

Take a shuttle over (USA Transfers is our favorite).
Take a taxi back...It's cheaper (if you pay in Pesos).

bobpark56 Jun 9, 2013 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ak5 (Post 20430469)
- Front desk allows you to convert $200 USD per day into pesos. Most of the places we went accepted USD and all accepted credit card. The exchange rates, though, may not be as favorable.

For a favorable exchange rate, cross the street and go a bit to the left (by the garage) and there is a Scotia Bank. You get bank rates here. Their ATM works well if your bank, like ours, charges little or nothing in the way of foreign exchange fees.

You can do the same by getting pesos from the bank ATM at the airport on arrival.

Medved Jul 19, 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Cobijonz (Post 20299585)
We did receive an upgrade to a 1BR from the efficiency unit we had booked, but it is not a common occurrence. Apparently they had a cancellation.

You cannot expect solid suite upgrades an any resorts, especially if they frequented by the Americans (if we assume that vast majority of Plats are from the US simply due to a number of properties -- close to the combined of rest of the world). At least, Lagunamar does upgrade in principle. Say, Westin Cayman does NOT ever upgrade to a suite (not being a SVO). Their sister prop at St Maarten (SVO) does it extremely rarely in the lowest season only. They both don't accept SNAs.
Does anyone know if Lagunamar accepts SNAs? I can try to do a mock booking but if someone knows (Lurkers)?

Ended up making a reservation myself. As expected, no only SNAs were "not available" on spg.com but confrimation details specifically worded it out: "As a villa property, we are unable to offer select SPG(R) elite member benefits including upgrades, Suite Night Awards, 4:00 p.m. late check-out and Your24"

It's hardly a villa in my view: 400 sq. ft studio.:D:D Many props call 400-500 sq.ft units a basic room.

ellaq2008 Sep 4, 2013 8:44 pm

Just came back from a 4-day vacation. We booked with a rate that gave us 4th-night free + USD200 food/beverage credit. The rate was for a studio, but we were "upgraded" to a one-bedroom with a nice ocean view. I guess it's off-season. We chose free breakfast at Oceana as our Platinum welcome gift and were assigned a personal concierge who was quite helpful. He contacted us a few days before we arrived.

We were also invited to spend 90 minutes to listen to a timeshare presentation, the "gift" was either 6,500 Starpoints or USD100 voucher, we chose the points. On the day of our scheduled appointment, they had no one to talk to us so we were asked to come back 30 minutes later, and they would give us 3,500 additional points (or USD25) to make it 10K.

The resort itself is quite fine, the infinity pool is huge, and the employees treated us with respect. If you relax by the beach, there'd be people coming to take your drink/food order and asking if you need a message right there. The drink and food at the resort are just OK, nothing spectacular. Duna Sports Bar and the bar by the pool both have happy hours.

There is a mall right across the resort where you can get some food as well. We had a dinner at Thai Lounge, which has cabanas over the water with an OK sunset view, I believe many will find that quite romantic.

welookgood.com Sep 19, 2013 5:26 am

The former sheraton was actually perfect. You had swimming pools or jacuzzi pools on your roof deck (if you had a suite), very nice rooms, perfect location. Reagan stayed there (per their book) back in 1980. Not past its prime at all and was one of the nicer hotels in Cancun in the mid 2000s. They used the hurricane destroyed it excuse to knock it down and build the Westin.

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 20603598)
To avoid confusion for those who might not know, the Westin Lagunamar was never the former Sheraton. The former Sheraton (which was getting mighty ragged there towards the end) was built when Cancun was still in its infancy and, for its day, was a solid hotel with a perfect location.

Starwood was no dummy and realized that this aging property was past its prime and they were sitting on some of the most valuable property in town.

SO, they bulldozed the old Sheraton and 2 years later, the new, sparkling Westin Lagunamar opened on the same site.

The only thing that the two properties have in common is the parcel of real estate that the hotel sits on.

FightingIlliniUAL Oct 6, 2013 9:06 pm

What is, or is there resort fee at Lagunamar?

Also, I read in a review on TripAdvisor that kids eat free here? Can anyone confirm this?

FightingIlliniUAL Oct 6, 2013 9:40 pm

redacted

Boraxo Oct 8, 2013 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by bobpark56 (Post 20893418)
For a favorable exchange rate, cross the street and go a bit to the left (by the garage) and there is a Scotia Bank. You get bank rates here. Their ATM works well if your bank, like ours, charges little or nothing in the way of foreign exchange fees.

You can do the same by getting pesos from the bank ATM at the airport on arrival.

Or if you have a BofA account you can pay 0% forex fee and $0 ATM fee by using the ATM at Banco Santander which is a short 10 minute walk up the street (just behind Kukulan mall). Generally much better than any physical forex and no need to carry USD into Mexico - take what you need when you need it.

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL (Post 21565268)
What is, or is there resort fee at Lagunamar?

Also, I read in a review on TripAdvisor that kids eat free here? Can anyone confirm this?

No kids do not eat free on standard room rates or timeshare bookings. Not sure if there is an all inclusive plan that includes kids but this would be a waste as there are so many good restaurants nearby with much better food than Lagunamar offers. AI only makes sense if you are an alcoholic.

FightingIlliniUAL Oct 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21574707)
No kids do not eat free on standard room rates or timeshare bookings. Not sure if there is an all inclusive plan that includes kids but this would be a waste as there are so many good restaurants nearby with much better food than Lagunamar offers. AI only makes sense if you are an alcoholic.

Thanks. Do you happen to know what benefits (if any) come with the award nights for Platinums?

FightingIlliniUAL Nov 5, 2013 8:53 am

Booked a one-week stay here in February with my family and parents using the 35% Plat requal gift and fifth night free.

What is the best way to request upgrade to adjoining rooms, particularly a one-bedroom side by side with a studio. We are willing to pay $$ or additional points, but that wasn't an option at booking according to the Plat Concierge.

Any help would be appreciated.