Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by shanna135
We have been denied every Gold Elite benefit on our current stay. The last denial was late check out by 2 different front desk agents. It seems that since this is a TIMESHARE property now and Gold Elite benefits are not honored, even it being our 40th anniversary. Maybe higher level membership levels will be????? We have had a great time escaping the cold of Nebraska but it would be nice to get the bottled water that is included under new Marriott BONVOY benefits.
That's unfortunate to hear. I'm planning to stay for five nights using points at end of April, booked in a Deluxe Garden View, but I'm hoping for an upgrade since the reviews really seem to be split based on the part of the property: garden view vs. oceanfront.

I hope they get things sorted out for you!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by shanna135
We have been denied every Gold Elite benefit on our current stay. The last denial was late check out by 2 different front desk agents. It seems that since this is a TIMESHARE property now and Gold Elite benefits are not honored, even it being our 40th anniversary. Maybe higher level membership levels will be????? We have had a great time escaping the cold of Nebraska but it would be nice to get the bottled water that is included under new Marriott BONVOY benefits.
This property, due to its resort status, has long been exempt from elite late check-out benefits (even under the SPG program), and the denial cannot be blamed solely on the timeshare portion of the property. As a SPG (now Marriott) PLT who has stayed with them 2-3 times/year for the past 9 years, I can tell you late checkouts at this property have always been slim and I’m very thankful when my front desk “angels” are able to accommodate the request. There should be a courtesy room that can be scheduled on day of departure.

With respect to upgrades, this property has long had the reputation of “book the room you want to stay in” rather than playing the upgrade game. While I’ve had some very nice upgrades here to oceanfront suites, they are tricky due to occupancy rates and don’t often happen. I decided long ago to book the oceanfront room I wanted instead of stressing over whether the upgrade would happen vs being stuck on the wrong side of the road.

I’m sorry this has been a disappointing stay for you, especially on an anniversary trip.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
We had a great stay and loved our trip. I had no idea that since this property is run by a timeshare company that none of my Bonoy benefits would be honored. I thought I booked the Sheraton Kauai which I thought would include my benefits. Would it be fair to be informed of this when booking? Had the option of other hotels that would have included nice membership benefits.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
After emails and calls with Vistana which now runs the resort and Marriott I was given 500 points from the resort and 1000 points from a representative from Marriott for not receiving any Gold Elite benefits. I told them to keep the points but make sure they tell people booking the resort would be told benefits don't have to be honored. I learned a lesson and will be sure to ask about benefits and the hotel or resort honor them.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:48 pm

Got a time share offer today for this property.

The headline price is $629 for 5 nights including a rental car but that excludes $150 in resort fees + ~15% tax on that + ~$70 tax on rental car = ~$870 total for 5 nights = $174/night including car. You also get 15k MR points or a $75 property credit. So maybe $800 or $160/night if you net that out.

The catch is the rooms are garden view rooms (on the wrong side of the highway) and there is a lot of construction taking place throughout this year. Rooms also seem small per TripAdvisor but not clear if that is pre-renovation or after. Have one year to pick dates.

I'm leaning towards passing on the offer. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Has anyone experienced construction noise in the Oceanfront rooms or the main oceanfront pool due to the timeshare construction? Thanks

Last edited by drewdawg199; Apr 18, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:28 pm

Just stayed in a great oceanfront room in building one and there is no construction. The only noise is the ocean

It looks like most of the construction is happening on the garden side right now. I’m not sure when they will start in the other buildings.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:13 am

Is there a time frame for construction? We are planning a trip in October with an infant and would like to avoid construction noise if possible. We have four cat 5 certs to use and our options in Kauai are here or the Courtyard. Maybe we should come back to Kauai another time?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by eseeton
Is there a time frame for construction? We are planning a trip in October with an infant and would like to avoid construction noise if possible. We have four cat 5 certs to use and our options in Kauai are here or the Courtyard. Maybe we should come back to Kauai another time?
Construction supposedly until January...but remember it’s island time. If you book an oceanfront or deluxe garden room, you’ll be in the ocean or beach wings and away from the construction (although the deluxe garden lanais will have a partial view of it). I was just there for a week in an oceanfront room (Ocean wing) and didn’t hear any construction noise the entire week, including while standing at the valet stand or front desk If you book garden or partial ocean view rooms, you will be on the other side of the road where the construction is taking place, but the buildings that are currently open have all been remodeled as has the lobby. As for construction at the Sheraton compared to the Courtyard, you may want to check the Courtyard Kauai thread for recent reviews...

The lobby and valet stand have been moved across the street to the mauka side earlier this year. Otherwise, no significant changes since my stay late last year or a year ago. As always, the valet/bell team is an excellent resource for new dining venues on island in addition to recent “changes” at existing venues. Excellent service all around which is typical of my experiences at this property.
eseeton likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Looking to use a TP Cert here for a 7 night stay. The only option offered is a King room with Garden View. Any luck with using SNAs at this property?

Also, it states that the room has a max occupancy of 2. How rigid are they on that? Does it have a sofa bed or room for a rollaway?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:06 am

Is this hotel strict on the 2 person per room? trying to go here with 2 kids. Marriott Plat - are they upgraded to better rooms with higher occupancy?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Is this hotel strict on the 2 person per room? trying to go here with 2 kids. Marriott Plat - are they upgraded to better rooms with higher occupancy?
According to the family plan children under the age of 12 (might be 17??) are allowed to stay for free using existing bedding. This has always been the case when traveling with our 2 kids to Hawaii on multiple occasions.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

As a titanium / platinum elite member, do you get daily breakfast for free?

How far is the beach from the hotel? Looks like it's walking distance? Stayed at Wailea Beach Resort in Maui before and you can get 2 chairs per room on the beach. Does Sheraton Kauai offer similar benefit for guests?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:55 am

Sheraton Kauai - Gold upgrade to Oceanfront?

We will be in Kauai later this summer and thinking about trying to use some of our 35k free night award certs at the Sheraton Kauai.

From what I see the 35k points gets you "Garden View" which is across the street from the beach. The trick to this property is to get Oceanview, which puts you directly on the beach. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading from GardenView to Oceanfront at this property with Gold Elite Status?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:03 am

hi everyone, thinking about staying here for a couple nights using Free night Awards but have been warned that you don't want the garden view rooms "across the street" from the beach. Has there been any success to upgrading to Oceanview as Marriott Gold Elite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.