Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address for the hotel's front office: [email protected] (from post 169.)
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Philadelphia Downtown [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SeattleAmber
Anyone stayed here since October? We have an upcoming stay in a couple of weeks. For some reason every other SPG hotel in Philadelphia is sold out that weekend so this was our only option if we wanted to stay with SPG (which we do - I am barely going to requalify for Gold this year as it is).

It's graduation and Prom season. Not sure if there are any large conventions in town.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Anyone stayed here since October? We have an upcoming stay in a couple of weeks. For some reason every other SPG hotel in Philadelphia is sold out that weekend so this was our only option if we wanted to stay with SPG (which we do - I am barely going to requalify for Gold this year as it is).
Well, I will answer my own question in the hopes that it helps someone else! We stayed two nights (Saturday - Monday) as part of our mission to visit all of the MLB ballparks. We checked in early - around noon - and our suite was ready (we booked a suite because for whatever reason it was only $5 more than a regular room). Suite was on the 26th floor and seemed updated enough - obviously it is an older hotel but we didn't have any issues with bars falling off the wall and what not. It is a little further from the action, but as someone said, manageable. The view from the room was wonderful. We had breakfast in the club lounge (also on the 26th floor) both days, it was standard and they had snacks out even in the morning (chips and Tasty Kakes). We did not stop in for appetizers but I definitely smelled hot food coming from that room when we walked by.

We had a drink in the lobby bar and it was a nice place. Overall, this wasn't my first choice but I would stay here again. I do think the Westin is a much better location for a short visit but this worked well for us too.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:58 am

Well, I will answer my own question in the hopes that it helps someone else! We stayed two nights (Saturday - Monday) as part of our mission to visit all of the MLB ballparks. We checked in early - around noon - and our suite was ready (we booked a suite because for whatever reason it was only $5 more than a regular room). Suite was on the 26th floor and seemed updated enough - obviously it is an older hotel but we didn't have any issues with bars falling off the wall and what not. It is a little further from the action, but as someone said, manageable. The view from the room was wonderful. We had breakfast in the club lounge (also on the 26th floor) both days, it was standard and they had snacks out even in the morning (chips and Tasty Kakes). We did not stop in for appetizers but I definitely smelled hot food coming from that room when we walked by.

We had a drink in the lobby bar and it was a nice place. Overall, this wasn't my first choice but I would stay here again. I do think the Westin is a much better location for a short visit but this worked well for us too.
Yeah, this hotel is nice and seems to have good customer service. Like you said, it's not in the best location, however, the view on the side of the building facing the art museum is awesome.

It's hard to compare to the westin, which I don't think is much nicer in terms of actual rooms, but when you consider price, the sheraton is a no brainer. Westin is ridiculously pricey.

One nice part about the sheraton is that it's located next to the $5/night city parking garage.

I actually prefer the Sheraton in Old City (on Dock Street). Karen and Henrietta really know how to make you feel welcome and take care of their platinum members with personalized service.

Le Meridien is very nice, but also very pricey.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I stayed here last night (July 4). I requested a west-facing room to see the fireworks, and I did get a room facing the west on the 21st floor. My friend paid extra for his own and ended up on the 16th floor. The Art Museum isn't very visible on the 16th floor; however, the fireworks were clearly visible from my room on the 21, and it was a nice view. I would suggest getting a room that's between 00-29, closer to the 00 side (perhaps ~15?). I believe odd numbers face west.

I had to go down three times to get my key to work properly. The primary guest was a Plat, so we got Club access. When we went during hors d'oeuvres or breakfast, it was always crowded and difficult to find somewhere to sit. The view from the lounge was also nice and included the art museum, but they closed it at 7:30 to prevent overcrowding. Similarly I asked about rooftop access, but that was closed as well. Breakfast was so-so. The orange juice was pretty bad (definitely made from concentrate), and the eggs were bland.

The rooms weren't that great, and I'm a bit dubious of housekeeping, since I found a stain on one of the sheets on the mattress, as well as on the floor. Additionally, my friend's room only had one bottle of water (but was booked for two people, two doubles), whereas mine had two. Neither had a DND sign. No in-room safe. I likely wouldn't stay here again unless I was just staying for the view.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:18 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Anything recent?

Anyone have any experience here lately? Just started reading the Plat reviews on their site and not promising....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EdV
Anyone have any experience here lately? Just started reading the Plat reviews on their site and not promising....
I stayed there a year ago for the first time in ~6 years...lobby reno was quite good, room renos took them from dumpy to boring but contemporary Sheraton standard. I will be there next week so can report back.

I try to do the LM or Westin, but my good corporate rates have become less good and/or they are sold out weeks in advance.

Also curious about the new Aloft too, for a similar pricepoint/location.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I stayed there a year ago for the first time in ~6 years...lobby reno was quite good, room renos took them from dumpy to boring but contemporary Sheraton standard. I will be there next week so can report back.

I try to do the LM or Westin, but my good corporate rates have become less good and/or they are sold out weeks in advance.

Also curious about the new Aloft too, for a similar pricepoint/location.
I would agree. I would prefer to stay at the LeMeridien or Westin over this property. However, this property can have rate near or below $100. But you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I just completed a one night stay here last week. I was surprised at how nice (bland) the room was, since I had previously stayed pre reno (possibly then the Sheraton room in worst conditions I've ever stayed anywhere in the world).

Plat breakfast was being served at the lobby café and was surprisingly good, with a grab and go where you could seemingly select unlimited items, including hot breakfast sandwiches, fruit salad and even high end cereal bars (Kind).
EdV likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Big downgrade...no more self parking only valet, which between the charge + tax is now $50 a night
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Hotel Has been Deflagged

Looks like this hotel has recently (perhaps as of Aug 1?) been deflagged and is now the Philadelphia 201 Hotel... but it's still in the system so presumably it'll be another one of those oddities of a property that doesn't fall under any of the flags but still offers full points earning and redemption and elite benefits.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dw
Looks like this hotel has recently (perhaps as of Aug 1?) been deflagged and is now the Philadelphia 201 Hotel... but it's still in the system so presumably it'll be another one of those oddities of a property that doesn't fall under any of the flags but still offers full points earning and redemption and elite benefits.
This was clearly on the list for a cull. They refurbished the lobby, but the rooms are probably the worst in the system.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Sad from a pricing POV (good for a sub-$200 option) but won't miss it quality-wise. At least the Aloft is now open & nearby at a lower pricepoint vs. LM/Westin.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
This hotel is garbage. Good riddance.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:13 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Sulley
This hotel is garbage. Good riddance.
Yes, this was likely a result of Marriott’s new move to purge the worst of the Sheratons from the flag... though I don’t quite understand why they are allowing the property to stay in the system as an unbranded property. (So it was too crappy to be a Sheraton, but not crappy enough to lose SPG affiliation altogether?)

With four other SPG and six Marriott family properties downtown, I don’t see losing the rooms from the former Sheraton having a big impact on the new combined program.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:08 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Any further updates on this? Anyone stayed since rebranding to the Philadelphia 201? They've made a big deal about the renovation they completed and wondering if it's worth trying again. Also, can't seem to verify still have a lounge or no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.