Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Hotel email: [email protected]

Breakfast in the lounge. Platinum arrival gift option: breakfast in a choice of 2 restaurants(The Chinese Restaurant "四川" or Cafe California ) or 1,000 pts.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
If a third party / OTA site is cheaper than SPG site, BRG will beat the price or give you starpoints (your choice)
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Have 14 nights to kill in Tokyo during sakura season and decided to stay at Sheraton Miyako Tokyo for four nights. Before Sheraton Miyako Tokyo i'll have four nights at Yokohama Sheraton. Will end my Tokyo trip with Prince Gallery four nights and two nights at Sheraton Tokyo Bay for Disney Sea... however I'm not sure what kind of hopes I should have for Sheraton Miyako Tokyo. The reviews are awful on spg.com with a 3.6 score out of 5. Tripadvisor reviews are okay with a 4 out of 5, 52% votes 4.
The hotel seem to ignore SPG platinum status and give crappy rooms to their Platinum guests. Some of the staff seems to forget they are in the service business. Long queues for check in/out and for breakfast. Reading no ac?

I don't know FT, should I extend my reservation with Yokohama Sheraton instead and stay away from Sheraton Miyako?
I know my way around in Tokyo so I'm fine with whatever area I'm in.

I need the nights due to the double night promotion and I can't make 8 nights at Prince Gallery. That's too tough on my wallet.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Have 14 nights to kill in Tokyo during sakura season and decided to stay at Sheraton Miyako Tokyo for four nights. Before Sheraton Miyako Tokyo i'll have four nights at Yokohama Sheraton. Will end my Tokyo trip with Prince Gallery four nights and two nights at Sheraton Tokyo Bay for Disney Sea... however I'm not sure what kind of hopes I should have for Sheraton Miyako Tokyo. The reviews are awful on spg.com with a 3.6 score out of 5. Tripadvisor reviews are okay with a 4 out of 5, 52% votes 4.
The hotel seem to ignore SPG platinum status and give crappy rooms to their Platinum guests. Some of the staff seems to forget they are in the service business. Long queues for check in/out and for breakfast. Reading no ac?

I don't know FT, should I extend my reservation with Yokohama Sheraton instead and stay away from Sheraton Miyako?
I know my way around in Tokyo so I'm fine with whatever area I'm in.

I need the nights due to the double night promotion and I can't make 8 nights at Prince Gallery. That's too tough on my wallet.
In my experience, it's not as terrible as the reviews make it sound, but they are very inflexible - don't expect bending over backwards for Platinums the way a lot of SPG hotels in Asia do. I haven't tried the Yokohama Sheraton, but doubt it's that much better.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
In my experience, it's not as terrible as the reviews make it sound, but they are very inflexible - don't expect bending over backwards for Platinums the way a lot of SPG hotels in Asia do. I haven't tried the Yokohama Sheraton, but doubt it's that much better.
Thanks. I'm pretty used to inflexible hotels so I'm okay with that. Currently watching if Westin Tokyo will go down in price, but I doubt it considering sakura season. It's on the same price point as Price Gallery at the moment.
Otherwise I'll keep my Sheraton Miyako reservation I guess. We barely stay at our hotels anyway during the day. Did you have AC in your room? I'm reading they have some renovated rooms. Could ask for that.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Some
Thanks. I'm pretty used to inflexible hotels so I'm okay with that. Currently watching if Westin Tokyo will go down in price, but I doubt it considering sakura season. It's on the same price point as Price Gallery at the moment.
Otherwise I'll keep my Sheraton Miyako reservation I guess. We barely stay at our hotels anyway during the day. Did you have AC in your room? I'm reading they have some renovated rooms. Could ask for that.
I have never stayed at the Westin either, but I wouldn't want to knowing how good Prince Gallery is!

Yes, there is air conditioning. Sheraton Miyako has refurbished rooms on the 2nd floor ('Comfort Miyabi' - the ones I was trying to book above but which the hotel doesn't seem to sell directly online) and on the Executive Floors (11th and 12th floors). As these are specific room categories you might get lucky and get given one, but don't count on it! I booked a standard Deluxe and was given a 2nd floor Comfort Miyabi Deluxe the first time I stayed here last year without asking for it, but my second stay I had no such luck and got exactly what I booked (A non-refurbished smoking twin bed Superior room which is all that was available for sale online ). The renovated rooms are very nice - they remind me a lot of the Hilton Tokyo.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:18 am

As crazy as this might sound, I actually prefer the Sheraton over the Westin. I’m not sure exactly why, maybe it’s the newly renovated rooms you may receive that are a lot better than Westin’s rooms, or maybe it’s because of the lounge which has a tranquil and calm feel to it (and also the high quality breakfast).

Or maybe it’s because I really am not a fan of Westin’s middle century European decor and theming in, of all places, Tokyo. At least the Sheraton has a Japanese touch to it which makes me feel like I’m in Tokyo. And also it’s a lot cheaper than Westin on average.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Central90210
As crazy as this might sound, I actually prefer the Sheraton over the Westin. I’m not sure exactly why, maybe it’s the newly renovated rooms you may receive that are a lot better than Westin’s rooms, or maybe it’s because of the lounge which has a tranquil and calm feel to it (and also the high quality breakfast).
Not crazy at all. I feel the same way (1) (2). I'm not sure I'd recommend the Westin over the Sheraton if the rates were the same (based on location/rooms/etc), and of course they're not ... the Westin often costs twice as much as the Sheraton. The one thing the Westin has going for it is the opportunity to experience the remnants of some of bubble era Japan's craziness -- where else can you see a faux French chateau in the middle of Tokyo?

Regarding joakgarp's questions about Sheraton Tokyo vs Yogyakarta, I stayed at the latter a few times in Nov/Dec and was pretty impressed. If you don't mind the location and have a rate around 10-12k yen, it is a very strong option in Tokyo.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jpdx
Regarding joakgarp's questions about Sheraton Tokyo vs Yogyakarta, I stayed at the latter a few times in Nov/Dec and was pretty impressed. If you don't mind the location and have a rate around 10-12k yen, it is a very strong option in Tokyo.
Assuming you meant Yokohama - How was the lounge there? The Yokohama thread seems to allude the hotel is a bit run down and the lounge catering is not very good.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt

Or maybe it’s because I really am not a fan of Westin’s middle century European decor and theming in, of all places, Tokyo. At least the Sheraton has a Japanese touch to it which makes me feel like I’m in Tokyo. And also it’s a lot cheaper than Westin on average.
No way to confirm the renovated rooms, though, right?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Assuming you meant Yokohama - How was the lounge there? The Yokohama thread seems to allude the hotel is a bit run down and the lounge catering is not very good.
Yes, yes, Yokohama. The commute from Yogyakarta wouldn't be fun. I wrote one of the run down/poor lounge reports in 2014, and then didn't return until hailstorm posted a review with pictures of the new lounge in Sept 2017. Have a look at that post (and the following ones, including my reviews). The Yokohama lounge has its quirks, but it's good by Japanese standards -- decent happy hour and breakfast (with an omelet station). Not a bad hotel at all.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:51 pm

We're staying at the Sheraton in April for 5 nights- do you think the renovations will be completed by then? We are using points but we're open to switching if you think another place is better or more worth the "bang for the buck". Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're staying at the Sheraton in April for 5 nights- do you think the renovations will be completed by then? We are using points but we're open to switching if you think another place is better or more worth the "bang for the buck". Thanks!
The chance of you getting a renovated room is almost 0. They are done renovating at this property. I was there during Christmas and they gave me a deluxe room. They called this a "big upgrade" for me at check-in. What's sad is I paid 31k yen per night.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Not crazy at all. I feel the same way (1) (2). I'm not sure I'd recommend the Westin over the Sheraton if the rates were the same (based on location/rooms/etc), and of course they're not ... the Westin often costs twice as much as the Sheraton.
I wouldn’t recommend the Westin even if the rates are same. I’ll probably only stay there again if the rates are at least 20% lower than the Sheraton or they renovate the entire hotel to the look and feel of Westin Sendai.
Originally Posted by tripmaster
No way to confirm the renovated rooms, though, right?
I think the only way for a confirmed renovated room is to book it directly. Other than that, if the rooms are available they will give you one if you ask (nicely). Ask for the newest rooms on the 11th/ 12th floor and if they say no, ask for the rooms on the 2nd floor. Don’t bother asking for a suite as that will never happen.

Originally Posted by spellbound2
I’m not sure about the hotel’s renovation plans, but the newest rooms are on the 11th and 12th floor, followed by the 2nd floor. All other rooms feel pre-historic.

How much are the rates in April? I have always thought that this hotel, along with all other SPG properties in Tokyo, are overpriced in points. The most bang for buck redemption, in my opinion, is Cash and Points at the Andaz. Heck, even full redemption at the Andaz is a great deal.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
The chance of you getting a renovated room is almost 0. They are done renovating at this property. I was there during Christmas and they gave me a deluxe room. They called this a "big upgrade" for me at check-in. What's sad is I paid 31k yen per night.
​​​​
It should be better now, with three floors of newly renovated rooms. Perhaps they were all full during Christmas, which is expected.

Last edited by Central90210; Feb 11, 2018 at 9:50 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’ve got a BRG for about 14.5k plus taxes per night for Xmas 2018. I guess no other SPG in Tokyo would be as cheap as this. Are the beds at least OK even if I’m stuck in a standard room? I think people were saying the lounge and breakfast is OK. What about facilities? Any Onsen style hot tub / jacuzzi?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

It should be better now, with three floors of newly renovated rooms. Perhaps they were all full during Christmas, which is expected.
Which floors?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.