Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Hotel email: [email protected]

Breakfast in the lounge. Platinum arrival gift option: breakfast in a choice of 2 restaurants(The Chinese Restaurant "四川" or Cafe California ) or 1,000 pts.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:36 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think that Sheraton Tokyo is better than its reputation on FT. It certainly isn't on par with Andaz/Conrad/PH. It's not even on par with the Tokyo ICs, Westin, and Hilton (which aren't amazing hotels). However, the Sheraton is an extreme low budget option compared to those hotels. I have three BRGs here for the upcoming cherry blossom season at just above JPY10k++ (competing rate of EUR 131 all-in before BRG discount). That's a third of the rates posted by Westin/the ICs, and a fifth of what GH/Conrad/Andaz/Prince cost. It is about half of the cash component of the C&P rates at Westin/GH. Now, I would never come here if I had to impress someone, the location isn't great, and upgrades are virtually unheard of, BUT for just over $100/nt all-in, it's not bad value in a city with crazy hotel prices. Japan is awash in truly awful hotels, but I posit that Sheraton Tokyo isn't among them. IMO, it's not even in the worst-3 of Starwood's hotels (that'd be Yokohama, Kobe, and Nagoya), not to mention other international brands (try some of the Crowne Plazas!) or local chains. If you're on a once-in-a-lifetime or special occasion trip to Tokyo, and/or if money is no object, by all means stay at a better hotel, but there are plenty of occasions when the Sheraton is good enough.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpdx
I think that Sheraton Tokyo is better than its reputation on FT. It certainly isn't on par with Andaz/Conrad/PH. It's not even on par with the Tokyo ICs, Westin, and Hilton (which aren't amazing hotels). However, the Sheraton is an extreme low budget option compared to those hotels. I have three BRGs here for the upcoming cherry blossom season at just above JPY10k++ (competing rate of EUR 131 all-in before BRG discount). That's a third of the rates posted by Westin/the ICs, and a fifth of what GH/Conrad/Andaz/Prince cost. It is about half of the cash component of the C&P rates at Westin/GH. Now, I would never come here if I had to impress someone, the location isn't great, and upgrades are virtually unheard of, BUT for just over $100/nt all-in, it's not bad value in a city with crazy hotel prices. Japan is awash in truly awful hotels, but I posit that Sheraton Tokyo isn't among them. IMO, it's not even in the worst-3 of Starwood's hotels (that'd be Yokohama, Kobe, and Nagoya), not to mention other international brands (try some of the Crowne Plazas!) or local chains. If you're on a once-in-a-lifetime or special occasion trip to Tokyo, and/or if money is no object, by all means stay at a better hotel, but there are plenty of occasions when the Sheraton is good enough.
I totally agree with what you have said. At the price point, Sheraton Tokyo is more than good enough, it's better than most "business hotel" in Tokyo with much more room spaces. It is definitely not comparable to the likes of Andaz/GH etc, the price pretty much reflected so as well.

As for Sheraton Yokohama, to be fair to them, i got a nice upgrade on a 1-night redemption before and their location is very good. It's not that bad actually, although their lounge is quite poor. In fact, i think they are way better than the Sheraton Osaka.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
The new Prince Gallery is amazing, if you care about something good from SPG. (That said, you can't really go wrong with the Andaz.)
Definitely will! It just opened so that's great. However I was the only one staying so I didn't feel like shelling that much out for myself.

if money is no object, by all means stay at a better hotel, but there are plenty of occasions when the Sheraton is good enough.
Originally Posted by shevboyz
I totally agree with what you have said. At the price point, Sheraton Tokyo is more than good enough, it's better than most "business hotel" in Tokyo with much more room spaces. It is definitely not comparable to the likes of Andaz/GH etc, the price pretty much reflected so as well.
Super well priced that's the only reason why I stayed there. Seems like this hotel is more interested into having full occupancy than selling less rooms at an higher price.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Seems like this hotel is more interested into having full occupancy than selling less rooms at an higher price.
But was the club floor sold out? Did you take my advice offered up thread?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
But was the club floor sold out? Did you take my advice offered up thread?
No club floor wasn't sold out. What thread #? (I didn't)
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
No club floor wasn't sold out. What thread #? (I didn't)
Post #312

I arrived at check in, and my room was blocked and set aside in the Platinum pile. They said there were no suites available but they gave me a corner king on the 7th floor. I confirmed that as a Platinum I had lounge access and they gave me a couple of VIP cards.

I was in a total hurry to get out to dinner so I raced up to my room and I was pretty disappointed. This had to be the worst room I'd had in all of my stays. It was a "Deluxe King". I was running late! When I stuck my head into the bathroom and noticed the mildew blackened grout, I decided I needed to call down and do something different.

I explained that I wanted a renovated room and they responded that my room had been renovated 7 years ago. I said I wanted a room that was renovated last year!

Of course they moved me to a wonderful Club King room and the problem was solved.

I threw my bags in the room and raced out to dinner, but not without stopping at the from desk an requesting to speak with the Duty Manager.

I reviewed everything with him explaining both my history with SPG and with this property in particular. I said that my room issue was resolved however the problem I had was that they wasted 30 minutes of my time because of their failure to do their job properly. I should have never been assigned to the stinker room which I now refer to as the "Worst King Available" not to mention the fact that when I was standing at the front desk checking in, I should have been extended an upgrade to the Club Room which by then of course I remembered was plainly available for sale on SPG.com as I was checking rates on my way to the property.

So it's pretty clear that you should pull up the club room availability on your way to the property if you want the best room available. Mine was a beautiful view of the garden! 1st time ever with that view. You won't get if you don't ask perhaps.

Last edited by schoflyer; Feb 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:22 pm

Post #312
Ahh I see. No SPG is usually good about this and I have no concerns prior to arrival. Simply every reservation I just note, any upg's to best avail room/suite appreciated.

At check-in they see it and take care of it for me. Except for this property so far.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I wonder if this property is bad at upgrading on LONG stays or also on short 1/2 night stays at well?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
I wonder if this property is bad at upgrading on LONG stays or also on short 1/2 night stays at well?
When you say upgrades, do you mean suite upgrades or just "upgrades" to a nicer room? If you're talking about Plat suite upgrades, you'll probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a suite upgrade.

Normal "upgrades" to a nicer room for Gold and Plats (I.e. from queen to king room), however, are rather common.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Central90210
When you say upgrades, do you mean suite upgrades or just "upgrades" to a nicer room? If you're talking about Plat suite upgrades, you'll probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a suite upgrade.

Normal "upgrades" to a nicer room for Gold and Plats (I.e. from queen to king room), however, are rather common.
Good to know I am going to this property with VERY low expectations so I should be fine

As it looks suites are sold out on my days I will be happy with the room I booked. I dont spend alot of time in my room anyways
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
The king room I got was bad enough, the queen is worse?

Holiday inn would have done 10x better.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:36 am

The king room I got was bad enough, the queen is worse?

Holiday inn would have done 10x better.
Please let us know which Holiday Inn in Tokyo treats you so well.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:39 am

Please let us know which Holiday Inn in Tokyo treats you so well.
Holiday inn in the US that are rated 2.5*
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:24 pm

Holiday inn in the US that are rated 2.5*
Oh, come on! I knew your post was full of hyperbole, but now you're digging deeper. There's no doubt, Sheraton Tokyo is weak by Asian standards. But it's no worse than many US Sheratons, and I'd love to see the 2.5* Holiday Inn that treats you 10 times better. If it exists it's gotta be an extreme outlier, and would be far from the norm. (I've been PC/IHG Plat/Spire/RA for over a decade, so I've seen quite a few of them).

Japan's economy hasn't been doing too great for the past 25 years, and the country is awash in truly awful hotels. Most Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns are in dire need of refurbishment, and the elite treatment is laughable (often, no upgrade and a bottle of water at check-in). Compared to those hotels, Sheraton Tokyo is a gem. The thing to keep in mind is that you're staying in a city with some great hotels, but those great hotels come at a price. Andaz/PH/MO/Conrad/GH/etc are excellent, but also cost 3-5 times as much as the Sheraton. My stays here are in the $100-120 range (during busy season), which is less than what you'd pay for the typical Japanese business hotel in Tokyo (with tiny rooms). Even with minimal upgrades, the Sheraton is a good deal at its price point, IMO.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:43 pm

Oh, come on! I knew your post was full of hyperbole, but now you're digging deeper. There's no doubt, Sheraton Tokyo is weak by Asian standards. But it's no worse than many US Sheratons, and I'd love to see the 2.5* Holiday Inn that treats you 10 times better. If it exists it's gotta be an extreme outlier, and would be far from the norm. (I've been PC/IHG Plat/Spire/RA for over a decade, so I've seen quite a few of them).

My stays here are in the $100-120 range (during busy season), which is less than what you'd pay for the typical Japanese business hotel in Tokyo (with tiny rooms).
6 years ago I used to book a lot of priceline 2.5-3* hotels which ranged lowest $29 per night to $45 around Texas. These holiday inns were either newly built or refurbed. Of course I didn't have any hotel status.

Like you said price is the only thing that makes this hotel attractive but if it has an Sheraton name on it, it should be better. Sheraton's in many cases are priced lower than the competition not only in Tokyo so I think it's fair to compare with other Sheraton's. Clearly this one has an lower standard. And yes, IHG is an chain I've been staying away from since day 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.