Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I was in NOLA recently and walked by the W French Quarter. It's in the "happening area" but its a few blocks away from bourbon street which can be a blessing or a curse. I was there in NOLA to celebrate an therefore wanted to be on Bourbon Street therefore the Four Points Sheraton was AWESOME. It was in a perfect location and with balcony over looking the action below.

W FQ is not on bourbon so you will not get bothered too much by noise until 4-5 am on the other hand if you're there to party.. maybe you do?

Sheraton Four Points is usually a lower type of property in my mind but I was pleasantly surprised by this one in NOLA.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Lets hope this doesn't spike up the prices. I like their suites!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:33 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I used to stay at the W in NOLA, but have transitioned to the Westin at Canal Place. I have always gotten a suite here and pricing seems to be significantly less. Last Friday night I paid $89 at the Westin. The best rate I could get at the W was $139. Neither has a lounge, so that is a wash.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I used to stay at the W in NOLA, but have transitioned to the Westin at Canal Place. I have always gotten a suite here and pricing seems to be significantly less. Last Friday night I paid $89 at the Westin. The best rate I could get at the W was $139. Neither has a lounge, so that is a wash.
The Elevator ride up to the Westin is a minus to me.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:16 am

Had some issues with a stay at the Poydras location a little over a week ago and was really perturbed over the lack of response and the punting back and forth by a couple of office. Got a phone call this morning from the new GM...said he has been on the job there now for two days (email addy and conversation suggests he came from a non-NOLA Westin).

Satisfied with the resolution but it remains to be seen whether much changes prior to the renovations slated to begin in April (confirmed to be associated with the re-flagging).
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by michelle227
renovations slated to begin in April (confirmed to be associated with the re-flagging).
The renovations are starting in april 2014? Wow. I thought the re-flagging was slated for sometime in 2015. This means I have to find a different starwood for jazzfest. ugh.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:05 am

Any recent experience as what's the Breakfast PLT amenity @ the W Fence quarter?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
If they haven't recently changed it, it's either a continental breakfast for free or up to $14 for other menu items. Restaurant is very quiet in the mornings and service can be exceptionally slow.

Originally Posted by ehud
Any recent experience as what's the Breakfast PLT amenity @ the W Fence quarter?

Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
W NOLA

I think they have stopped doing maintenance in anticipation of the remodel: rooms/suites are missing many W touches such as throw pillows, throw blankets, typical fun items found in rooms at other W's, etc. LOTS of wear and tear showing. When I pointed out that one chair was about to fall apart, they simply took it away and didn't replace it.

Until it turns into a LM (they tell me fall of 2014) I'd be very cautious about stays at W NOLA (Poydras).
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Until it turns into a LM (they tell me fall of 2014) I'd be very cautious about stays at W NOLA (Poydras).
Having just completed a four-night stay at the W on Poydras, I will echo this. Furnishings were OK in our upgraded suite, but definitely showing wear echoing itsaboutthejourney's comments. Lots of worn spots on the velvet sofa, nicks on the furniture, and cracks in the bathroom tile. Service, however, was the main issue we had. The restaurant had one person working in it during breakfast with 8-10 tables occupied, and coffee service at the lobby bar in the morning ran out with replenishment promised but not delivered. The employees were all courteous and friendly, but the whole place just seemed well understaffed.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
W New Orleans French Quarter - review

SPG Status: Lifetime Gold
Date of Stay: March 2014
Length of Stay: 1 night
Arrival Day: Friday

POSITIVES:
Location- The W New Orleans French Quarter is located in the Quarter but is removed from Bourbon Street by two blocks.

View from room- We were on the 4th floor (top floor) in a Fabulous Room with a balcony overlooking Chartres Street. The balcony had two chairs and a table. This was an all-points award reservation. Three months prior to arrival we paid $30 for a confirmed upgrade from the standard Wonderful Room to a Fabulous Room.

Service and friendliness of employees- Everyone from the check-in agent, to the valet, to housekeeping, to the bartenders, to the check-out agent made us feel we were important to the W New Orleans French Quarter.

Cleanliness of room interior- The room and bath was spotless.

Water temperature & pressure- Pretty self-explanatory.

Climate control- Air conditioning worked great, a definite need in New Orleans!

Electrical outlet availability- Plenty of available outlets including four at the desk.

Quality of drinks from bar- SoBou is a bar that can make anything and the bartenders take great pride in their work.

Courtyard area - Lots of seating available in the courtyard area.

NEGATIVES:
Dirty furniture on balcony- The furniture, even though it appeared clean, left black marks on clothing. A quick cleaning with a wet tissue solved the problem. Housekeeping should wipe this furniture clean with each cleaning of the room, even if the furniture appears to be clean.

Lack of Do Not Disturb sign- When we returned to the room in the early morning hours, we discovered the room did not have a Do Not Disturb sign. We were not disturbed prior to our check-out but there should have been a sign available.

Breakfast- At breakfast I ordered whole wheat toast and was told they were out of whole wheat bread and “were waiting for a shipment”. SoBou is associated with Commanders Palace. With that pedigree, the restaurant should not run out of whole wheat bread. Send someone to buy a few loaves. I also ordered my eggs over-easy yet one of the yolks was hard. The potatoes, however, were great!

Overall, this was a good stay. We have stayed at the W New Orleans French Quarter four times in the past eighteen months and I would not hesitate to return.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
Has anyone stayed at the W New Orleans on Poydras lately? I understand that it is currently called the Hotel New Orleans until the renovations are completed and it is re-badged as a LM.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about booking for Christmas week. I have suite upgrades that expire at the end of the year and feel like this hotel may have more availability than the W FQ...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IncaFlyer
Has anyone stayed at the W New Orleans on Poydras lately? I understand that it is currently called the Hotel New Orleans until the renovations are completed and it is re-badged as a LM.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about booking for Christmas week. I have suite upgrades that expire at the end of the year and feel like this hotel may have more availability than the W FQ...
If you read the most recent reviews of the property on SPG.com, you will avoid it. As far as suite upgrades at the W FQ, the number of suites at that property are extremely limited.

The Starwood property in NOLA with the most suites and most likely to upgrade is the Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.