Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which New Orleans W? 2006 - Present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
For those who want an idea of how a corner suite looks at the W on Poydras, here you go.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
I recently stayed at the W French Quarter and though I normally enjoy staying at W's, I can't recommend this one. The staff was not rude, they were simply useless. Over the course of an 8 day stay, every time, I requested something (coffee, wakeup call, towels, restaurant reservations) they promised to do it and then did not. I admit that when I elevated my concerns to a manager they were promptly taken care of. But, I think this property needs some serious training in follow-through. As it stands, they are not professional. Next time, I'll try the other W or the Sheraton. The one good thing I can say about the W French Quarter is that the location was excellent. Although, be warned that the rooms are indeed extremely small.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by rives21
Next time, I'll try the other W or the Sheraton. The one good thing I can say about the W French Quarter is that the location was excellent. Although, be warned that the rooms are indeed extremely small.
I cannot honestly recommend the Sheraton. Service was the worst I've had in any Starwood property in a long time. The list of hassles is just too long and too painful to recount.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have seven nights in NO in January. I am going to stay at both Ws and maybe one other hotel if there is a SPG brand at the airport. The FQ intrigues me because the windows open. However, TH and I are both working that week so we need sleep not to listen to drunken meteorologists no matter how famous they are.

lala
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I cannot honestly recommend the Sheraton. Service was the worst I've had in any Starwood property in a long time. The list of hassles is just too long and too painful to recount.
I have had really good experiences at the Sheraton. My personal favorite SPG hotel in NOLA is the W on Poydras, but I have no complaints about the Sheraton, which is a huge conference hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Ditto. Valet parking is a nightmare wait. Elevators take forever. Hallway noise is intrusive, even at the far end of a hall.

W Poydras, then FQ, then anyplace else but the Sheraton. And now that the Riverfront is being rebranded a Westin, I'd go there.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I just spent six days in New Orleans on a semi-Starwood tour.

I stayed at the W on Poydras, then the W French Quarter, and then the Sheraton.

Hard not to echo what others have posted, but I will offer the following:

W Poydras

Outside of the French Quarter, but an easy walk to most areas, including the French Market and Jackson Square. I felt pretty safe, even in the early morning hours. A plus is the number of banks in the area for ATM access (which is needed with Harrah's on one side and Mother's on the other). Nice-sized room, with a fainting couch and a bed that could induce a coma. Awesome LG flat pannel LCD (I did notice a lot of pixelation in the HD programming) with DVD/CD player, very friendly and competent staff. Platinum ameninty was a mini bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates.

Two free internet terminals in the lobby, by the coffee bar.

I love the automatic curtains that part as you enter from the porte cochere.

I had a nice view of the Mississippi.

W French Quarter

Small lobby, friendly staff. Rooms were smaller and the seals on the windows allow air and noise to leak in when they are closed. This was significant as it was 28 degrees outside at one point. Someone I spoke with complained of noise from the trash trucks on Chartes, right outside of some rooms at 3 a.m. Myself, I was still out on Bourbon Street at the time. Great location to places like K-Paul's, NOLA, and Johnny's to eat, Jackson Sqaure, the Saint Louis Cathedral and the heart of Bourbon Street are not much father away. You can almost smell the powdered sugar from Cafe du Monde... Pretty much walking distance to anything in the French Quarter.

Shared a room, so had a double bed, but still very nice. Regular 25" CRT TV in room with DVD/CD player and a nice iPod docking station to charge and play music. No coffee maker in room; must go to lobby before 9 a.m. to get java or walk to a coffee house.

Sheraton

Big convention hotel. Friendly lobby staff (Bell Desk, Desk, and Concierge). Also used the business center to check email ($6 for 30 min). Stayed on the 44th floor and had a nice view up Canal and over the French Quarter.

Pretty much in between the two Ws in location. The bed was not as comfortable as the Ws. 25" CRT in room; the lower channels were full of static.

Breakfast in the lounge on the 42nd Floor was very light; sliced fruit, bagels, croissants, and muffins, and tea, coffee and OJ.

The Walgreens on Canal offers $40 cash back on POS transactions. Bought some expensive travel sized hair gel and toothpaste while I was there.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Thank you for your recent trip report for the 3 hotels.

I've never been to NO (going later this year for a non-business trip); I have reservations at both W's; how far away from the FQ is the W Poydras hotel (walking?).

Again, as I'll be there for fun, I won't mind the extra noise and "stuff" from the FQ.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dollaroff
Thank you for your recent trip report for the 3 hotels.

I've never been to NO (going later this year for a non-business trip); I have reservations at both W's; how far away from the FQ is the W Poydras hotel (walking?).

Again, as I'll be there for fun, I won't mind the extra noise and "stuff" from the FQ.

Thanks!
5 to 10 minute walk and I walk slow. Personally I prefer the location of the W Poydras simply because the FQ is not the only thing to do in NOLA. Check out some of the restaurants in the Warehouse District for a change of pace.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by dollaroff
I've never been to NO (going later this year for a non-business trip); I have reservations at both W's; how far away from the FQ is the W Poydras hotel (walking?)
Originally Posted by prncess674
5 to 10 minute walk and I walk slow. Personally I prefer the location of the W Poydras simply because the FQ is not the only thing to do in NOLA. Check out some of the restaurants in the Warehouse District for a change of pace.
Yeah, I walked a lot from the Poydras into the FQ. I agree that it's a 5-10 min walk and easy - just head east towards Canal, up a few blocks and then down Chartres. I even toted my luggage between the Ws to give you an idea on how easy it is to travel between them.

prncess674, I'm glad I got a chance to eat outside of the FQ (Ralph's on the Park) and visit the Garden District and take a tour of the Katrina-damaged areas (Lakeview, St. Bernard Parish, Lower Ninth Ward).
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
I have never met a W I haven't liked, but I do like the FQ one better.

And what trash trucks... oh wait, I don't think I made it back to the hotels before 7am anyway.

(Wow, the Sheraton was nice. They gave me a huge 47th floor room I didn't use other than to shower in, but it was a great last minute rate with huge windows with a sweeping city view)
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
my vote for French Quarter too!

Unlike Poydras, it's a collection of older buildings linked together and joined by an amazing courtyard with fountain, fire feature, pool and cozy seating. Rooms are completely new with ample bathroom counter space (unlike like original W or Court, Tuscany). It's the most "boutique" of the W's I've experienced. And of course the location can't be any better in relation to the French Quarter.

(My check-in agent had no clue what a "platinum amenity" was, but thankfully the hotel puts the GM's email address out there, so I'm sure the points will be credited.)
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
heh. btw, I got some charge which I can only think was that bottle of wine I downed one night. I thought it was my "Platinum Amenity", since it was sitting on a card addressed to Ms. Wireless. But I got my points, and a $23 charge for two shots worth of a coastal bottle of crap Mondavi.

I need to talk to the GM about that...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Like FH, I had an opportunity to stay at the W Poydras and the Sheraton on Canal. Only one thing to add: paying for a 3-day WiFi pass from Feather at $15.95 was the best buy. Connection worked great at both hotels, even from 45+ stories up at the Sheraton. Sheraton's has a great view of the Mississippi if you indeed face that way and a better walk to Bourbon Street, but the FQ is a bit more comfortable. Much to my surprise, the SO preferred the Sheraton's decor to the W's, but that might just be the love-it-or-hate-it part of W hotels.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

W French Quarter

Shared a room, so had a double bed, but still very nice. Regular 25" CRT TV in room with DVD/CD player and a nice iPod docking station to charge and play music. No coffee maker in room; must go to lobby before 9 a.m. to get java or walk to a coffee house.
Did you have a coffee maker at the W Poydras? Last time I stayed there (May), not only was there no coffee maker in the room, but there was a cutesy/snide card with the question "Just what do I have to do to get a cup of coffee in this place?" and suggesting the lobby coffee bar. When I asked the concierge, he was able to send a coffeepot up to my room, but since the housekeepers didn't have the packets on the carts, getting refills was a hassle.

I've always stayed at the Poydras because I was using points, and it was 7K vs 10K at the W FQ. Now that they are both cat 4 10K, I plan to switch my stays to the W FQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.