Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Centre Sheraton Montreal Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:39 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by Brendan
Sydfly,
Way too busy for a week--you'll spend most of your holiday in that bloody car & have very little time to enjoy anything! It's the same as trying to drive Sydney--Blue Mountains--Canberra--Melbourne--Newcastle--Sydney in a week!

Canada has the excellent VIA Railways which go to most of your destinations (except Mt. Tremblant & maybe Algonquin). I would recommend flying into YYZ & out of Québec City (YQB) or v.v. & taking at least 2 weeks, as U need at least 2--3 nights in each city to get anything out of it.

Mon. arrive YQB;
Wed. or Thu. train (3hrs.) to Montréal;
Sat. pick up rental car, drive to Mont-Tremblant or Algonquin, then the other on Mon.;
Wed. drive to Ottawa, return rental car (maybe--depends on weekly rate).
Fri. train or drive to Toronto or Niagara;
Sun. bus, train or drive to Niagara Falls/ Toronto;
Mon. or Tue. back to YYZ to fly onward or home.

Please note that weekends are cheapest in Toronto hotels but dearest in Niagara Falls hotels. Also, Ottawa is best done during the workweek because some of its main attractions are closed Sat.--Sun. & it's less of a weekend party city than the others.

Also, Hertz considers YYZ, downtown Toronto, & Niagara Falls all one city for pricing, so it should be cheap to pick up in one & return to another of these. Also, pickups at YYZ are subject to a 15% Premium Location Fee similar to an Airport Concession Fee of the USA, while in-city pickups are not.
Well, I must admit that we've got 9 days rather than 7. I did compare prices between YYZ and Toronto downtown with AVIS and the airport location was actually cheaper...couldn't believe it myself. I couldn't get decent prices for Hertz or any other rental company, so Avis was the cheapest. But I must say that Canada car rental prices are quite high compared to the US. I would have thought they'd be similar.

In any case, we'll spend two days in each Toronto, Quebec and Montreal, and one day in each Ottawa, Algonquin and Mt Tremblant. I appreciate all your advice but I probably should have asked you earlier as all hotels etc has been booked. I hope that by booking a luxury car type the drive will at least be comfortable for us

We'll be in Ottawa on a Friday, so hope to see some action there. Although if they are anything like our politicians, they'll all head home early on a Friday.

This won't be our last trip to Canada, more meant to see which places we like and where it makes sense to spend a bit more time during the next trip. Nevertheless, thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I am flying AC to Québec City on Aug. 1 ,then onward to attend the Fringe Theatre Festival in London, Ontario, 200 km west of Toronto, on Aug. 4--10. I was going to rent a car ex-YYZ, but the prices are outrageous: About C$500 a week & up! So I've ordered my award ticket to include a Dash 8 commuter flight to London Airport. I won't need a car anyway most of my time in London, as my hotel is downtown within walking distance of everything . Plus, driving near Toronto is nasty during PM rush hour, esp. on the Friday before a Monday bank holiday!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:14 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Hmm...I got a full size car with upgrade to premium for around C$200 per week plus tax initially. I then added 3 more days and now end up paying around C$400 including taxes for 9 days. Wasn't that bad but I thought it could have been cheaper

Did you check the YYZ specials on the AVIS website? It's only for last minute rentals but the rates are pretty good.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:55 am

pay points for room upgrade

I just recently stayed at this hotel too. I was required to pay 1500 points for a room upgrade, does this sound right? (I'm a gold) and I used the point & cash rate too, do I get starpoints on the cash I paid on the room and the room services? Thanks!

This hotel seems fine, I got a room on the 33rd floor.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by disneyf
I just recently stayed at this hotel too. I was required to pay 1500 points for a room upgrade, does this sound right? (I'm a gold) and I used the point & cash rate too, do I get starpoints on the cash I paid on the room and the room services? Thanks!

If you requested the room upgrade, the going rate is anywhere from 1000 - 1500 according to spg website. Are you saying this was a mandatory room upgrade?

I like the club lounge on the top floor. Very spacious and elegant. The health club was pretty nice as well.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mahalo
If you requested the room upgrade, the going rate is anywhere from 1000 - 1500 according to spg website. Are you saying this was a mandatory room upgrade?
I thought room upgrade is complimentary for Gold and Platinum memeber if it is available. I know if you are a preferred member, then you'll have to pay 1,000 points each time for a room upgrade. It wasn't a mandatory upgrade, it was just an upgrade at my option.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by disneyf

I was told that you'll need 1000 points for an upgrade to the Club level. So, if they charged you 1500 points you were overcharged by the hotel. The Speciality Upgrade 1 is the Club floor room at 1000 additional Starpoints.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:24 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Does anyone have an meail address for the GM of the Le Centre Sheraton? It's not on the website and I while I was given the name of Jean-Francois-Pauliet at checkout, the confirmation email I had from them says MICHEL GIGUERE (but with no email address). Please PM me if you do. Thanks.

*Edit - I've been PMed the info - thanks! (And it is indeed Michel Giguere)*

Last edited by MilesTalk; Sep 5, 2006 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum
Sheraton Centre Montreal absolutely Terrible!!!!

If anyone is planning a trip to Montreal I would recommend absolutely avoiding the Sheraton Centre if you are expecting a Sweet Sleeper bed. Upon checking in the misses decided to lie down on the bed since she had a bad back and was looking forward to the Sweet Sleeper beds we have all grown accustomed to. Instead she gave me a look like we had just been ripped off. I tried the bed since I have spent 140+ night in Starwood properties, and confrirmed it was well below par, the bed squeaked and felt the coils digging in to my back. I called the front desk and switched rooms to another club level room and experienced the same problems. I immediately called the Platinum conceirge and asked to switch properties since the Sheraton obviously didn't have sweet sleepers and the overall property was very tired looking. I managed to get a room at the Four Points down the street and was pleasantly surprised and grateful that they were able to accomodate us and had correctly advertised that they did in fact carry the sweet sleeper (most imporatant and basic element of a starwood property)

So Overall avoid Le Centre Sheraton in Montreal at all costs!!

Anyone else notice this same thing
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:50 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
No problem when I was there so your stay may vary. I prefer the W in Montreal but the Sheraton is fine for what it is and my room did have a sweet sleeper.

By the way, Four Points do not have sweet sleepers, they have four comfort beds, still very comfortable but the linens are not as high a quality.

Last edited by danwhy; Nov 13, 2006 at 6:58 am
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Sorry to hear about your stay. I have not had any problems at the Sheraton Montreal, so I wonder if you just had bad luck? I haven't been there for a couple of years, but last time I stayed I had a great Sweet Sleeper bed, and their club lounge is really elegant.

SG
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:27 am
Suspended

isn't there an existing thread on this property? did we need a new one?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I wouldn't agree that the best advice is to avoid the Sheraton YUL at all costs. What I would voice is a strong disappointment in this hotel's decision to charge for soft drinks in their club lounge. That's a shocking decision, in my opinion, and one that is not communicated in any way. I'm certain that customer after customer on a daily basis is floored to learn that they owe $8 for the two club sodas they just had (in 5 oz glasses, mind you ... with ice.)

Otherwise, I found the Sheraton to be a well run hotel. Rooms (most especially bathrooms) a tad tired, but not bad. Lobby always bustling. The location of the Sheraton is superb!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:25 am

I had a nice stay here in September between two nights at the W. I agree that charging for drinks in the club lounge is absurd, but the bed was perfectly fine.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:38 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I actually quite liked the Sheraton (and blogged about it here: http://hotelmagician.blogspot.com/20...eal-hotel.html ). One thing I didn't care for was that the staff at the SPG checkin line always seemed rather "aloof" but the location as well as the rooms were above average. We had no issues with the beds at all and I too have a bad back. FWIW, I also really like the W in Montreal as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.