Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards PP; World of Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoPhils
What’s your Marriott lifetime nights and points total? Unless you’ve done 250+ nights with SPG, which seems unlikely if you only had SPG Plat in 2011-2012, it sounds like you should have 750 nights with MR. Then you’d only need to have 2 million points to get LTP with MR without a year’s requirement, which converts to LTPP in the combined program.
Thanks for your reply. This is also a good way. I still need 250K to reach 2 millions points, however, I’m not States resident and have no Marriott Rewards Credit Card so that I’m not sure I can get so many points till the end of 2018.

Last edited by buffalo77777; Jun 15, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by funkbandit
I might wager a guess:
Any year with MR/SPG elite status will count towards lifetime no matter how it was attained on a stand alone basis (BIB, credit cards, challenges, gifts, buybacks, etc).
The only status years that will not count are those that Marriott/Starwood granted in a way of reciprocal grant after the merger. And there's a reason for it: Stand alone MR/SPG status will be double counted towards lifetime eligibility (e.g. you can collect two plat lifetime eligible years in the 2018 calendar year). If reciprocal MR/SPG granted status would count as well, any status member could claim double counts, so MR would need to increase the eligibility thresholds for lifetime elite membership to account for this. The downside would be, that you'd need even more years to attain lifetime status if you have just recently joined or will join in the future. This is why MR wouldn't require more elite years for lifetime elite status.
The beauty of the aforementioned approach: counting years would be an almost straightforward exercise for MR and members.
This is my hope regardless of what others might be propagating that lack any rationale or logic.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by funkbandit
I might wager a guess:
Any year with MR/SPG elite status will count towards lifetime no matter how it was attained on a stand alone basis (BIB, credit cards, challenges, gifts, buybacks, etc).
The only status years that will not count are those that Marriott/Starwood granted in a way of reciprocal grant after the merger. And there's a reason for it: Stand alone MR/SPG status will be double counted towards lifetime eligibility (e.g. you can collect two plat lifetime eligible years in the 2018 calendar year). If reciprocal MR/SPG granted status would count as well, any status member could claim double counts, so MR would need to increase the eligibility thresholds for lifetime elite membership to account for this. The downside would be, that you'd need even more years to attain lifetime status if you have just recently joined or will join in the future. This is why MR wouldn't require more elite years for lifetime elite status.
The beauty of the aforementioned approach: counting years would be an almost straightforward exercise for MR and members.
Ok sounds fair, my only problem is that this is not how SPG count their elite years ... I have had SPG Platinum granted to me twice despite not qualifying those years do not count in my year total ... so if logic prevails (which it seldom does in the world of loyalty programs) legacy years from SPG should count in a similar way or alternately MR legacy years should follow the SPG definition.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Greetings!
Need advice on how to proceed in following situation:

SPG: 334 nights, Lifetime SPG points: 200,000 (approx, includes 50K credit card points)
Marriott: 692 nights , Lifetime MR Points: 1,484,000 (currently lifetime silver)

Questions:
  • What will be the best strategy to get the highest lifetime status with the above data in new merged program? fyi, I will be not travelling this year except 4-5 days hotel stay.
  • Is lifetime platinum status possible in this scenario?
  • I was thinking of adding another 100K MR sign-up bonus points by applying for MR Premier credit card to reach lifetime gold MR status (500 nights,1.6 million points). I can do this by end of August or before.
Thanks!

How many points do you currently have? Do you have another person in your household? You could do this if you have points to do so:

1) transfer all your points into SPG
2) transfer all SPG points to someone else in your household's account
3) have them transfer all SPG points in their account into their MR account
4) have them transfer all MR points in their account to your account

Rinse and repeat.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
How many points do you currently have? Do you have another person in your household? You could do this if you have points to do so:

Rinse and repeat.
Yes, this CAN work, BUT should MR get wind of it and choose to do so, your account could be closed and all points lost. This is definitely fraudulent activity and against the rules even if the system allows it to happen. So please don't do it more than once even that could be considered fraud, but might slip by. I'd hate to see MR feel they need to staff up a team to scour all accounts, especially those belonging to FT members, for similar activity.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Greetings!
Need advice on how to proceed in following situation:

SPG: 334 nights, Lifetime SPG points: 200,000 (approx, includes 50K credit card points)
Marriott: 692 nights , Lifetime MR Points: 1,484,000 (currently lifetime silver)

Questions:
  • What will be the best strategy to get the highest lifetime status with the above data in new merged program? fyi, I will be not travelling this year except 4-5 days hotel stay.
  • Is lifetime platinum status possible in this scenario?
  • I was thinking of adding another 100K MR sign-up bonus points by applying for MR Premier credit card to reach lifetime gold MR status (500 nights,1.6 million points). I can do this by end of August or before.
Thanks!
What do you mean by "gold" and "platiinum"? The per-August defintino, or the post-August defintion? Are you are aware that was is now called MR Gold (50 night annual level) will be called Platinum in the new program come August, and that what is now called MR Platinum will be called Platinum Plus in the new program come august?

So lifeitme MR Gold will be new-program lifetime Platinum.

Meanwhile, SPG doesn't count lifetime points officially, and so you cannot combine lifeitme SPG points into lifetime Marriott points.

Lifetime MR platinum meaning lifetime Platinum Plus in the new program would require that you get 58 more Marriott nights this year (which you could to with 6 meetings before August), and also 516,000 more Marriott points. That'd be pretty hard unless you're sitting on hundreds off thousands of Chase Ultimate Rewards points and/or hundreds of thousands of Diners Club USA Club Rewards points.

Lifetime MR Gold meaning lifetime Platinum in the new program would not require a single night, but would require 116,000 more lifetime points. You can get that with a combination of applying for the Marriott Premier Plus card plus buying a few thousands points and/or transferring a few thousand points from United.

But how many years did you earn Platinum at SPG, how many years did you earn Platinum at Marriott, and how many years did you earn Gold at Marriott? Because there's another way of earning status in the new program based on combined nights but combined years, not combined points.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Where online? My SPG Account Summary shows my lifetime SPG nights, but says nothing about lifetime SPG elite years (yet I earned SPG Platinum at least one year, though through a challnage, not counting the couple years I had SPG Plat from linking my Marriott Plat to SPG). Currently I have a request in for a Lifetime SPG Master Statement to find that out.

I called and spoke to CSR, they gave me number of times , I have been SPG platinum and SPG gold.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean by "gold" and "platiinum"? The per-August defintino, or the post-August defintion? Are you are aware that was is now called MR Gold (50 night annual level) will be called Platinum in the new program come August, and that what is now called MR Platinum will be called Platinum Plus in the new program come august?

So lifeitme MR Gold will be new-program lifetime Platinum.

Meanwhile, SPG doesn't count lifetime points officially, and so you cannot combine lifeitme SPG points into lifetime Marriott points.

Lifetime MR platinum meaning lifetime Platinum Plus in the new program would require that you get 58 more Marriott nights this year (which you could to with 6 meetings before August), and also 516,000 more Marriott points. That'd be pretty hard unless you're sitting on hundreds off thousands of Chase Ultimate Rewards points and/or hundreds of thousands of Diners Club USA Club Rewards points.

Lifetime MR Gold meaning lifetime Platinum in the new program would not require a single night, but would require 116,000 more lifetime points. You can get that with a combination of applying for the Marriott Premier Plus card plus buying a few thousands points and/or transferring a few thousand points from United.

But how many years did you earn Platinum at SPG, how many years did you earn Platinum at Marriott, and how many years did you earn Gold at Marriott? Because there's another way of earning status in the new program based on combined nights but combined years, not combined points.
I think I have two ways to do this.

Achieve lifetime MR gold by reaching 1.6 million points. This can be done via applying for Marriott premier personal and business card (100k + 75k signup bonus) or transferring MR points (max 50k can be transferred in a calendar year but can be more if I book reservation using her points) from spouse account. This will become lifetime platinum post August. I can't reach 2 million mark as it is not do-able.

Second option, post august, reaching 750 nights (already accomplished) and 10+ lifetime platinum status across both the programs.
Currently
SPG platinum = 3, SPG gold = 4.
MR platinum = ?, MR gold = ?.
Marriott, I was not able to get the breakdown but this is my main hotel for past 14 years (after switch from SPG) so pretty sure I have been platinum/gold at-least 6-7 times. So to achieve life time platinum premier is possible in a normal fashion post August.I will find out soon.

I can reach 516k requirement before August by transferring chase and Amex points but ratio is poor hence will not go that route.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kerrigjl

Rinse and repeat.
You can do step 4 up to the amount of a whatever award you can afford, but I don't believe you can rinse and repeat this step.

I just completed these four steps and redeemed (and have already used) a Travel Package. While it's possible I could have redeposited the hotel cert (at a loss) and tried it again, I'm not sure if Marriott would have allowed it the second time. Some have said that the exception to the 50k cap (in order to book an award) is only once per year. A second cycle would seem like *really* stretching the rules...I have to think the phone agent would notice that, especially if you canceled and redeposited a hotel award. (Whether they'd do anything, I have no idea.)

In order to do this, your household member will have to make a 20-30 minute phone call to Marriott. And that's assuming you've given him/her a pretty thorough script with your award stay already booked, your FF# (if a Travel Package), your MR#, their MR#, and all other email/contact information for both accounts.

I'd only count on being able to do one cycle this way.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
You can do step 4 up to the amount of a whatever award you can afford, but I don't believe you can rinse and repeat this step.

I just completed these four steps and redeemed (and have already used) a Travel Package. While it's possible I could have redeposited the hotel cert (at a loss) and tried it again, I'm not sure if Marriott would have allowed it the second time. Some have said that the exception to the 50k cap (in order to book an award) is only once per year. A second cycle would seem like *really* stretching the rules...I have to think the phone agent would notice that, especially if you canceled and redeposited a hotel award. (Whether they'd do anything, I have no idea.)

In order to do this, your household member will have to make a 20-30 minute phone call to Marriott. And that's assuming you've given him/her a pretty thorough script with your award stay already booked, your FF# (if a Travel Package), your MR#, their MR#, and all other email/contact information for both accounts.

I'd only count on being able to do one cycle this way.
Did this twice over the phone, my partner had me speak for them. The agent even gave us a bonus 5,000 MR for taking too long LOL
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
So was curious as to what my status would be at the August switch. I absolutely want to qualify under legacy for the LTPP and wondering if I need to do some meetings or get creative to earn nights. As of today:

Current MR LTG
MR nights: 703
MR points: 2,392,454
Years: In program 10; 5 or 6 at platinum, rest at Gold
Will earn another 10-15 nights this year for normal travel/CC spend

SPG Nights: 45
Points unknown/minimal

So from what I've read through this, the 45 SPG nights will NOT count towards my total lifetime nights to meet legacy goal in August? So given this I would need to earn 47 MR nights prior to 12/31 to reach LTPP under the legacy program?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by sabre31_98
So was curious as to what my status would be at the August switch. I absolutely want to qualify under legacy for the LTPP and wondering if I need to do some meetings or get creative to earn nights. As of today:

Current MR LTG
MR nights: 703
MR points: 2,392,454
Years: In program 10; 5 or 6 at platinum, rest at Gold
Will earn another 10-15 nights this year for normal travel/CC spend

SPG Nights: 45
Points unknown/minimal

So from what I've read through this, the 45 SPG nights will NOT count towards my total lifetime nights to meet legacy goal in August? So given this I would need to earn 47 MR nights prior to 12/31 to reach LTPP under the legacy program?
It was confirmed about a month ago that one could earn LTPP by combining nights and years of status across both programs. It was later clarified that each year MR Gold, MR Platinum and SPG Platinum would count towards the 10 years of Platinum status.

It was further established on the Starwood forum that 2MM MR points and 750 nights qualify for LTPP. It sounds like you will qualify under both of these criteria.

B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?
Yes.This is confirmed at marriott.members.com under the Benefits and Lifetime tab where it specifically states, “You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.” Existing legacy criteria for earning Lifetime Platinum Premier in MR/RCR is 750 Lifetime nights + 2MM Lifetime points. Also, in August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 20Jun18 >
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Great, thanks for the clarification. I read a lot of conflicting info and didn't see it spelled out that clearly.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:42 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rny321
It was further established on the Starwood forum that 2MM MR points and 750 nights qualify for LTPP. It sounds like you will qualify under both of these criteria.
B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?
It is true that Starwood Lurker posted on 6/20 the above, but in a later posting, you'll see that he may have misunderstood the question. The answer he is pulling from the Marriott website is vague at best:

And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August."
It is not clear what the definition of "Lifetime activity" is from this, as everywhere else they are clear if you merge your activity you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status. I would very much like to be able to count my 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points with the combined MR and SPG lifetime nights.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by ymx
It is true that Starwood Lurker posted on 6/20 the above, but in a later posting, you'll see that he may have misunderstood the question. The answer he is pulling from the Marriott website is vague at best:

It is not clear what the definition of "Lifetime activity" is from this, as everywhere else they are clear if you merge your activity you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status. I would very much like to be able to count my 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points with the combined MR and SPG lifetime nights.
Starwood Lurker, William, was asked this one sentence question several times before giving an answer and he definitely knew what was being asked. What he didn't understand was why a couple of posters were still confused. He answered: "Yes." and then followed up with an explanation.

William has stated numerous times that the language he uses to answer questions posed on the Wiki has been approved by Marriott. He doesn't pull something from a website or inject his own interpretation into a Wiki answer unless it has been cleared by the loyalty department. Since that is a more cumbersome process than telling people what he thinks, I wasn't surprised that he responded that "we are done getting further clarification from the loyalty team on questions that have already been answered."

He has been very clear that the only activities that can be combined are nights and years of status.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.