Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
A difference without a distinction in my book.

Originally Posted by CJKatl

BTW, the RewardsPlus program rules do not state a UA member is MR Gold, rather it states things like Gold status through the RewardsPlus program allows a member to receive Gold Benefits, which would indicate that is different than just an MR Gold, it's an MR Gold through RP. Example:
That would, on the face of things, fly against what Marriott has in their records: Agents see MR Gold for a number of years, a closer look, upon request, shows MR Gold via UA Rewards Plus but, in the system, it shows as MR Gold.

Those "who wish to enjoy the benefits of Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status" are able to do so because they are MR Gold. Your reading of this is quaint at the minimum.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
What’s your Marriott lifetime nights and points total? Unless you’ve done 250+ nights with SPG, which seems unlikely if you only had SPG Plat in 2011-2012, it sounds like you should have 750 nights with MR. Then you’d only need to have 2 million points to get LTP with MR without a year’s requirement, which converts to LTPP in the combined program.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Those "who wish to enjoy the benefits of Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status" are able to do so because they are MR Gold. Your reading of this is quaint at the minimum.
It was the same quaint reasoning they used to not recognize SPG linked accounts.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Do points transfers affect lifetime balance?

I recently made Lifetime Platinum on Marriott. So I have just a little over $2M lifetime points. I want to book a Starwood hotel for vacation in late July. This will require transferring Marriott points to Starwood. Will this impact my Marriott lifetime balance? Obviously I don't want to do anything to screw that up before August 1st.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It was the same quaint reasoning they used to not recognize SPG linked accounts.
And yet you've stated other forms of matching, aside from SPG linking and UA, which you claim are exactly the same, will likely be allowed. Talk about quaint. Oh, and completely illogical.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:47 am

Transferring to and from SPG does not affect the lifetime point balance.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by edcho
Transferring to and from SPG does not affect the lifetime point balance.
Ok, that's what I assumed. Just wanted to check before I did something that could jeopardize my lifetime status given the stakes.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:05 am

I might wager a guess:
Any year with MR/SPG elite status will count towards lifetime no matter how it was attained on a stand alone basis (BIB, credit cards, challenges, gifts, buybacks, etc).
The only status years that will not count are those that Marriott/Starwood granted in a way of reciprocal grant after the merger. And there's a reason for it: Stand alone MR/SPG status will be double counted towards lifetime eligibility (e.g. you can collect two plat lifetime eligible years in the 2018 calendar year). If reciprocal MR/SPG granted status would count as well, any status member could claim double counts, so MR would need to increase the eligibility thresholds for lifetime elite membership to account for this. The downside would be, that you'd need even more years to attain lifetime status if you have just recently joined or will join in the future. This is why MR wouldn't require more elite years for lifetime elite status.
The beauty of the aforementioned approach: counting years would be an almost straightforward exercise for MR and members.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And yet you've stated other forms of matching, aside from SPG linking and UA, which you claim are exactly the same, will likely be allowed. Talk about quaint. Oh, and completely illogical.
I do not claim SPG and UA linking are the same but they are similar in that an entity other than Marriott made the status determination and Marriott extended the benefits based on the other entity, not on any business done with Marriott. Other methods, like a challenge, soft landing, etc, Marriott decided the eligibility parameters and actually granted the status instead of granting benefits because of a different entity's qualification. The difference is stark and logical. Even you concede that by offering no explanation to the contrary but attacking me instead by repeating quaint over and over in various posts.

If you qualified for SPG Gold Marriott gave you benefits. If you qualified for UA status, Marriott gave you status. Your contract for qualification was with SPG or UA, Marriott and the other company had a contract with Marriott that allowed benefits. In the other methods Marriott directly granted status. Big difference. In the latter you had a direct contract with Marriott. You fulfilled your requirement through a challenge or getting the required cc or whatever so it makes no sense Marriott would change that contract now. With the SPG or UA status match there is no contract where the guest did something with Marriott in exchange for status, the guest gave something to SPG or UA. That is a huge difference.

Again, Marriott has not stated anything that would indicate they are going to take back a previous decision to grant status. They have decided not to honor the SPG status match based on the guest not qualifying through Marriott but having qualified through SPG. Thinking that within the next 45 days Marriott secretly intends to redefine past status that the company granted is contrary to the honest, upfront way Marriott has always conducted itself as a company.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But, since you didn't specify SPG in the thread title, I have to add:

Transfers of some other kinds, like to someone else's Marriott account, do affect (reduce) your lifetime balance!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But, since you didn't specify SPG in the thread title, I have to add:

Transfers of some other kinds, like to someone else's Marriott account, do affect (reduce) your lifetime balance!
And that's why I started the thread - I've seen other posts about things which do reduce lifetime balance. Like what you noted and also the purchase of status with points.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Transfers to others MR accounts and purchase of Platinum status with points both affect lifetime point balance adversely.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Transfers to others MR accounts and purchase of Platinum status with points both affect lifetime point balance adversely.
But nothing else does, correct?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:47 pm

Greetings!
Need advice on how to proceed in following situation:

SPG: 334 nights, Lifetime SPG points: 200,000 (approx, includes 50K credit card points)
Marriott: 692 nights , Lifetime MR Points: 1,484,000 (currently lifetime silver)

Questions:
  • What will be the best strategy to get the highest lifetime status with the above data in new merged program? fyi, I will be not travelling this year except 4-5 days hotel stay.
  • Is lifetime platinum status possible in this scenario?
  • I was thinking of adding another 100K MR sign-up bonus points by applying for MR Premier credit card to reach lifetime gold MR status (500 nights,1.6 million points). I can do this by end of August or before.
Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Greetings!
  • I was thinking of adding another 100K MR sign-up bonus points by applying for MR Premier credit card to reach lifetime gold MR status (500 nights,1.6 million points). I can do this by end of August or before.
Thanks!
i am going full throttle on MR credit cards personal/business to get to 1.6mln points, you should do the same - you will be lifetime plat in new program

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.