Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Hard to say. The FAQ states:

As written, it could be interpreted that the Suite Night Awards are restricted to those who meet the qualification criteria (50 or 75 nights) each year, and not grandfathered to those with lifetime status. If so, it would mean there is virtually no difference between Lifetime Platinum and Lifetime Premier Plat (only difference would be 50% bonus vs. 75% bonus earn rate).

For complimentary suite upgrades outside the suite night awards, priority is hotel discretion and the new documents don't document this well other than saying time of check-in. It seems to me mobile app would be the best way to guarantee this unless you showed up at the hotel desk early and there happened to be a suite available.
I read it as such (i.e., one must actually stay 50 or 75 nights each year to earn the SNAs). However, that doesn't make the only difference in tiers bonus points. Upgrades will be given out in order of tier... Ambassadors first in line, LTPP second, and then LTP. So LTPs are worse off in the in-hotel Suite upgrade pecking order.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:18 pm

I am 9 nights short of LTP. Do I need to get those nights before Aug 1 or Jan 1, 2019?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I read it as such (i.e., one must actually stay 50 or 75 nights each year to earn the SNAs).
That's where I'm not sure. Source:

Originally Posted by View from the Boarding Area
Upgrades. Suite upgrades become a Marriott benefit finally. 50 night elites are entitled to standard (or ‘select’) suites when available, which should be thought of as ‘the Starwood benefit.’

David Flueck tells me that the “expectation is that our members are upgraded to the best available room including select or standard suites, and we work with all of our owners and properties to make sure they’re delivering on the member benefits.”

Five Suite Night Awards are given as a choice at 50 nights, and 5 more at 75 nights. This should help to manage demand against availability, but is a cut for Starwood’s 50 night Platinums used to getting 10 (and a real win for Marriott elites who hadn’t gotten any).
What's difficult to tell is if they're just trying to clarify that it's 5 nights choice at members.marriott.com at the 50 night plat tier and another 5 at the 75 tier (including grandfather of lifetime), or if those are required to unlock. If they're modeling SPG (which much of this seems to follow), then the Suite Night Awards require the actual stay count and are not a given for lifetime members:

Originally Posted by The Points Guy
While I’ll get all those perks no matter how many times I stay at SPG hotels going forward, I’ll still have good reason to go for 50 nights a year or more, even with Lifetime Platinum. That’s because at 50 nights each year, I get 10 Suite Night Awards, which are upgrades that I can confirm in advance depending on availability.
So I think the Suite Nights for vying for upgrades are going to be restricted to current elite earners. The complimentary upgrade pecking order and whether they care other than luck of a room being available at check-in, hard to say.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by ridgepath
I am 9 nights short of LTP. Do I need to get those nights before Aug 1 or Jan 1, 2019?
Before Jan 1st.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So LTPs are worse off in the in-hotel Suite upgrade pecking order.
Well, as a very-long thread here suggests, there never seemed to be much of an "order" per se anyway.

As soon-to-be LTPP who'll probably never hit any annual stay requirement again (so therefore not being given the upgrade certs), I'll be curious to see if my "... are there any upgrades available?" success rate changes mid-'19 and beyond.

One thing that DOES concern me is price. I've been status-matched SPG Plat for ~18 mos now, yet rarely stay in SPG properties as they're generally higher-priced in the areas I've been staying lately (if they even exist at all). I wonder if the prices will change enough after the merger (but I'm sure they will change ) to drive more SPG stays, if the MI prices go up enough such that they're closer to parity, and what will that mean for me?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jeanie
I have similar questions. I am short on points for LTP. If this points transfer in August from SPG counts toward lifetime points, then I am good to go. If it doesn't, then I guess I have until December 31, 2018, to earn those points from a different source. Right now, since SPG point transfers don't count, I need to assume that they won't count in August, either. But I don't know that for sure.
Originally Posted by ridgepath
If you want to be grand fathered into LTPP then I think it has to be completed before Aug 1. Otherwise, don't worry about it because both old Marriott LTG and LTP = the LTP in the new program. So I would recommend getting it done in the next 3 months if it's reasonably possible, or you'll undoubtedly be kicking yourself sometime down the road. Or if the new LTP is fine for you then you are set for life.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Well, as a very-long thread here suggests, there never seemed to be much of an "order" per se anyway.

As soon-to-be LTPP who'll probably never hit any annual stay requirement again (so therefore not being given the upgrade certs), I'll be curious to see if my "... are there any upgrades available?" success rate changes mid-'19 and beyond.

One thing that DOES concern me is price. I've been status-matched SPG Plat for ~18 mos now, yet rarely stay in SPG properties as they're generally higher-priced in the areas I've been staying lately (if they even exist at all). I wonder if the prices will change enough after the merger (but I'm sure they will change ) to drive more SPG stays, if the MI prices go up enough such that they're closer to parity, and what will that mean for me?
90% of my 1,200 stays were at SPG where pecking order meant a lot for in-hotel upgrades. Can't really speak to Marriott since I had so few stays there. if pecking order truly doesn't matter AND they push that policy across all SPG hotels then it doesn't matter. But if not... the fact that LTP SPG members with 1,000+ nights weren't considered alongside the grandfathered 750 night Marriott LTPs for LTPP is a poor outcome. One that may lose a lot of the top SPG LTP members loyalty. Having a tough time understanding the logic of potentially upsetting the top SPG LTP customers you just purchased Marriott. And Mr Flueck comes from SPG... surprised he didn't push harder for us.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
They just say "If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program." - it doesn't clarify if, on the consolidation, they'll consolidate the years + points accumulated and then say you retroactively made the old LTP programs across MR + SPG, or if it'll just count on qualification for lifetime tiers in the new program (different!)...
I think it's pretty clear that "in the new combined program" is not "retroactively". Along with "previously" achieved.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 16, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
New qualification requirements are:
Lifetime Silver Elite: 250 lifetime nights + 5 years at Silver Elite (or higher)
Lifetime Gold Elite: 400 lifetime nights + 7 years at Gold Elite (or higher)
Lifetime Platinum Elite: 600 Lifetime Nights + 10 years at Platinum Elite (or higher)
I guess I'm not clear how they will count elite status years looking backwards. For those who have MR lifetime status, they'll get the same status in the new program based on the night levels and not the status level names.

Old Marriott Gold = New Marriott Plat (50 nights)
Old Marriott Plat = New Marriott Plat Premier (75 nights)

Will this be the case for lifetime status under the new rules based on the old account history?

For new LT Plat (50 night) status, will they count the number of past years I have had 50 night (old Gold) status, or the number of past years I have had old Plat (75 night) status?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
So I think the Suite Nights for vying for upgrades are going to be restricted to current elite earners. The complimentary upgrade pecking order and whether they care other than luck of a room being available at check-in, hard to say.
How does SPG treat this for current LTPs? Do they get the certs without the stays? Marriott may have been overdone it on making the point that you get your first five at P50 and the next at P75 that they overcomplicated the explanation which we may be interpreting incorrectly.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
any word on potential differences between tiers in terms of how they match up with an airline partner? up to this year plat premiers with Marriott were given UA Gold - a genuinely useful benefit for some.

if the Lifetime Plat Prem corresponded to lifetime Star Alliance Gold that would be a significant difference between LTP and LTPP - I'm not hopeful, but it's another item worth adding to the list of open questions.....
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
Originally Posted by davidsc111
If you want to be grand fathered into LTPP then I think it has to be completed before Aug 1. Otherwise, don't worry about it because both old Marriott LTG and LTP = the LTP in the new program. So I would recommend getting it done in the next 3 months if it's reasonably possible, or you'll undoubtedly be kicking yourself sometime down the road. Or if the new LTP is fine for you then you are set for life.
This is incorrect. Marriott LTP is LTPP in the new program. LTG and LTP aren't both being moved to the same level in the new program.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Several questions on this.

So may members qualify under the pre-changes Marriott Lifetime chart until December 31, 2018? That would of course include the tripled points transferring from Starwood in August?

I'm at 600 nights and 1.4 million points. I'm assuming the big transfer of 150,000 Starwood points (tripled to 450,000) will put me well over the threshold for Marriott Lifetime Gold. Plus I'll have 100 nights or so in the Starwood program. Need some clarity on this from the forum.
I'm in a similar situation (similar nights, closer on points).

Based on my experience, transferring in Starwood points do not count toward the existing lifetime points for lifetime status (or I'd already be done).

I believe transferring in Ultimate Rewards points would get me over the limit and am curious what folks think? In my case, I probably would *not* qualify for the new Lifetime Platinum because I'm pretty sure I'm multiple years short of being at 50 nights/year.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:32 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
I'm looking at the comparison chart. What is the difference between the two Platinums? All I see is a difference in bonus pts of 2.5 and the PP gets a '48 hour guarantee' which I always found to be a useless benefit. What else am I missing?
PP also gets an additional choice benefit (that is, additional to the one when achieving the Plat level).
And, if upgrades matter, Plat just fell behind the pecking order. "I'm sorry sir, we have 85 Platinum Premiere guests staying with us tonight, there are no upgrades available"
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kaw753
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but any idea how I know how many years I have been Platinum?.
I would like to know this for myself as well. If they are like SPG, then I assume that they will only count years you actually qualified, and not comped years (I seem to remember not qualifying for PLT and being kept there the next year).

Originally Posted by swag
I guess I'm not clear how they will count elite status years looking backwards. For those who have MR lifetime status, they'll get the same status in the new program based on the night levels and not the status level names.

Old Marriott Gold = New Marriott Plat (50 nights)
Old Marriott Plat = New Marriott Plat Premier (75 nights)

Will this be the case for lifetime status under the new rules based on the old account history?

For new LT Plat (50 night) status, will they count the number of past years I have had 50 night (old Gold) status, or the number of past years I have had old Plat (75 night) status?
They will count the number of years you reached Plat, at least that is the way I read it. That would mean years that you had 75 nights.

Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm in a similar situation (similar nights, closer on points).

Based on my experience, transferring in Starwood points do not count toward the existing lifetime points for lifetime status (or I'd already be done).

I believe transferring in Ultimate Rewards points would get me over the limit and am curious what folks think? In my case, I probably would *not* qualify for the new Lifetime Platinum because I'm pretty sure I'm multiple years short of being at 50 nights/year.
I'm pretty sure no transfers count towards lifetime points in MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.