Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by X-ON
If I allow myself to speculate I would say a more likely scenario would be to consider a $ based model or a base nights based model (actual nights in bed) or some combination there of....
Which is roughly what the points requirement does now.

I think that there could be a pretty decent way to impute points from nights. You need 2667 points per night for lifetime plat with the current Marriott program. For any period they don't have records of points they could assign points toward lifetime status based on a formula. You may come out a bit ahead or a bit behind your actual spend but it would work. Rooms were probably cheaper 15 years ago anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by maracle
Which is roughly what the points requirement does now.

I think that there could be a pretty decent way to impute points from nights. You need 2667 points per night for lifetime plat with the current Marriott program. For any period they don't have records of points they could assign points toward lifetime status based on a formula. You may come out a bit ahead or a bit behind your actual spend but it would work. Rooms were probably cheaper 15 years ago anyway.
Fair enough, however that method assumes that you only earned points from room rates, in my own case I definitely earned points during the missing time period from credit card spending (membership rewards) also any point bonuses would not be included hence you might end up with a short straw anyway.... One approach is of course some base nights solution they wouldn't need to consider points.... For example keep 750 nights for Plat as the only qualifying criteria but nights must be butt in bed (paid or award or paid only)

Last edited by X-ON; Jul 25, 2017 at 9:53 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by X-ON
Theoretically you are absolutely correct, it could be a copy paste of the SPG solution. However since MR moved away from the lifetime status years model they must have a good business reason to do so. Hence I would say it's unlikely but of course not impossible for a revert back to such a model. If I allow myself to speculate I would say a more likely scenario would be to consider a $ based model or a base nights based model (actual nights in bed) or some combination there of.... But I have been wrong before so all we can do is wait and see and hope MPG doesn't become a WoH type fiasco.
The problem with base nights and $ based is that won't work if they haven't been keeping track of all of that at both Marriott Rewards and SPG for enough years.

Ie, this is lifetime status we're talking about, with lifetime qualification, not annual status with annual qualifcation, so it needs to be based on metrics that they already have, going back many years. New metrics which they've never even used for annual status, how likely are they to have kept track of a total of those for decades?

... Meanwhile, another thing they could do is offer a choice (between the current Marriott model and the current SPG model). For example:
NNN lifetime nights plus (either XXXXXXX lifetime ponts OR YY years in this status)
In that case, if you get to XXXXXXX lifetime points first (along with NNN lifetime nights), you're in. Or, if you get to YY yesrs in this status first (along with NNN lifetime nights), you're in.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I like this debate... I switched over to Marriott Jan 1 of last year to start accruing points in case that becomes a factor, and I already had SPG LTP locked in.

Thankfully my travel only started with SPG in 2000, so if 15 years is the marker, I likely lost less than 50 nights worth of accrual points wise.

I am hoping my 630 SPG nights along with my 150 new Marriott nights carries the day, and I stay LTP.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The problem with base nights and $ based is that won't work if they haven't been keeping track of all of that at both Marriott Rewards and SPG for enough years.

Ie, this is lifetime status we're talking about, with lifetime qualification, not annual status with annual qualifcation, so it needs to be based on metrics that they already have, going back many years. New metrics which they've never even used for annual status, how likely are they to have kept track of a total of those for decades?

... Meanwhile, another thing they could do is offer a choice (between the current Marriott model and the current SPG model). For example:
NNN lifetime nights plus (either XXXXXXX lifetime ponts OR YY years in this status)
In that case, if you get to XXXXXXX lifetime points first (along with NNN lifetime nights), you're in. Or, if you get to YY yesrs in this status first (along with NNN lifetime nights), you're in.
I agree with you that whichever metric they choose must be trackable over the years in both systems. If we take that as a necessary condition for a metric to be chosen, then points and $ spent is out, because of SPG. That leaves years as elite in, but since MR decided at one point to get rid of this metric it's return is unlikely but not impossible. This metric also has another drawback since it becomes harder to segment current LTP and LTG in the both programs and if you introduce a tier above platinum it also constitute a problem. These two shortcomings can be addressed by discrimination based on nights in addition to years as elite. This leaves question why not go for base nights as the only metric it is tracked by both MR and SPG with the difference that SPG don't track bonus nights and don't have the concept of roll over nights. Another difference between MR and SPG is that award nights became qualifying nights much later for MR.
For instance if you could back out the number of MR award nights from the same date as they started to be qualifying for SPG you add those nights to the existing LT reward nights and LT paid nights you could compare MR and SPG accounts in the same metric.

Last edited by X-ON; Jul 26, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Does transferring United MileagePlus points to Marriott Rewards increase lifetime Marriott points? Logic tells me no, but....?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JackE
Does transferring United MileagePlus points to Marriott Rewards increase lifetime Marriott points? Logic tells me no, but....?
Actually, I'm pretty sure they do. Best as I can tell, any points transferred into Marriott, with the exception of SPG points, count toward lifetime.

Mike
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:37 pm

Yes it does but you can only transfer up to 50k per year.

Originally Posted by mikeef
Actually, I'm pretty sure they do. Best as I can tell, any points transferred into Marriott, with the exception of SPG points, count toward lifetime.

Mike
^^^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
It sure does. I've done it several times this year, since I have no other use for United miles.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Saidoh
It sure does. I've done it several times this year, since I have no other use for United miles.
Thanks to you and others. Very good news!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Over 750 nights and sitting at 1,992,800 points. By this time next month I will be lifetime Platinum.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:59 am

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 7.47.48 PM.png
Views: 857
Size:  39.2 KB
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Amateurs!

-----

-----
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:38 pm

DL-Don - You win! (or lose depending on one's point of view...)
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Amateurs!
Haha, Bill M., no fair!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.