Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Why does this bother you? I think the only added benefit of LTS is that your points won't expire anymore. Other than this, I compare LTS to a "status purgatory". You then have a life fime status that doesn't really give you substantial benefits and the only way out of this purgatory is to be even more loyal to Marriott and make LTG in the future...
Thanks for giving me a lecture on what you think gives me value in life.

My point is not that I cant wait to be silver. My point is that I'm not seeing my actual score. Which would be nice. That's like if you wanna see how many miles you have on your FF account so you can determine if you can afford to travel J on your next award trip or if you're stuck behind the curtain.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Milkman
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:55 am

However you choose to read my post. But you're welcome.

My point is not that I cant wait to be silver. My point is that I'm not seeing my actual score. Which would be nice. That's like if you wanna see how many miles you have on your FF account so you can determine if you can afford to travel J on your next award trip or if you're stuck behind the curtain.
The only difference is that you can only use your current balance for redemptions and not your life time accruals. AFAIK Marriott does show the correct current balance, so you can keep score and determine how many points you can redeem.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Has anyone recently transferred points in the Marriott Rewards program between accounts and verified it still increments the receiver's lifetime totals (and I guess decrease the senders)?

Since Starwood points transfer between household members easily my easiest route from my wife's Starwood account is to my Starwood account and then to my Marriott account (to redeem for a travel package). But the other route is to create a Marriott account for her, transfer Starwood to her Marriott and then to my Marriott.

The first route is all online while the second requires a phone call and 'possible' $10 fee, but probably worth it if I can knock around 100k points off the trail between lifetime Gold and lifetime Platinum.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by funkbandit
The only difference is that you can only use your current balance for redemptions and not your life time accruals. AFAIK Marriott does show the correct current balance, so you can keep score and determine how many points you can redeem.
Marriott displays both. If you click on nights in your account summary page, it's will show you your lifetime stats (nights & points). It's also shows you breakup of how you earned your nights this year like 10 paid, 5 redeemed, 2 bonus etc.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Has anyone recently transferred points in the Marriott Rewards program between accounts and verified it still increments the receiver's lifetime totals (and I guess decrease the senders)?

Since Starwood points transfer between household members easily my easiest route from my wife's Starwood account is to my Starwood account and then to my Marriott account (to redeem for a travel package). But the other route is to create a Marriott account for her, transfer Starwood to her Marriott and then to my Marriott.

The first route is all online while the second requires a phone call and 'possible' $10 fee, but probably worth it if I can knock around 100k points off the trail between lifetime Gold and lifetime Platinum.
Depends on what you mean by recently. My husband and I did this in March, and his LT points went up while mine went down correspondingly.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Any bets whether SPG has sufficient data on lifetime points accrual to combine members into the current Marriott policy? I'm doing good on nights, a bit behind on points, thinking about getting the SPG cards for the signup bonus (which would be good anyway).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by maracle
Any bets whether SPG has sufficient data on lifetime points accrual to combine members into the current Marriott policy? I'm doing good on nights, a bit behind on points, thinking about getting the SPG cards for the signup bonus (which would be good anyway).
The consensus in the SPG forum is that lifetime points are not fully accounted for if your account has been open for several years (don't recall the exact year often quoted). It will be interesting to see how the program merger is handled - is the data actually buried somewhere that it can be mined, or will some one-off credit be given based on the number of years the account was open but not properly tracked, will points not be part of the equation for merger purposes, or ??
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by ehallison
Depends on what you mean by recently. My husband and I did this in March, and his LT points went up while mine went down correspondingly.
Thanks for the data point anyway. Somewhat recent, I guess.
Guess I will go the longer route involving the phone and let others know how it goes, too. I did see the $10 is waived for Gold and Platinum members, of which we're both so the only consideration will be having to call Marriott to transfer points vs Starwood which can be done completely online.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
The consensus in the SPG forum is that lifetime points are not fully accounted for if your account has been open for several years (don't recall the exact year often quoted). It will be interesting to see how the program merger is handled - is the data actually buried somewhere that it can be mined, or will some one-off credit be given based on the number of years the account was open but not properly tracked, will points not be part of the equation for merger purposes, or ??
The response I got from SPG on this matter is that with respect to point accumulation the current system can only accurately reflect the point accumulation in the past 15 Years, nights is reflected from the inception of the account. No idea why that is the case but that was the answer I got.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by X-ON
The response I got from SPG on this matter is that with respect to point accumulation the current system can only accurately reflect the point accumulation in the past 15 Years, nights is reflected from the inception of the account. No idea why that is the case but that was the answer I got.
Well SPG reps actively participate in that forum, and I've not seen them dispute similar such reports. So that leaves the open question as to how to equitably account for the lost data in the merged program. My own personal account goes back more than 15 years, so I have some smattering of points unaccounted for (admittedly nothing terribly significant within the context of LT status, but none the less)...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by X-ON
The agents we get to talk to may not be the final say in what can and can't be recovered. All we can do at this point is guess what they might come up with. Waiting to see what they actually do is our only choice.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The agents we get to talk to may not be the final say in what can and can't be recovered. All we can do at this point is guess what they might come up with. Waiting to see what they actually do is our only choice.
To clarify; this response was not obtained by calling a CSR but over the course of several months while my question pertaining to my unbalanced master statement was pushed around at different departments at SPG. Finally after more than 2 months a senior IT person conveyed the message that the system was only able to track points accumulatuion within a 15 years window. This does not mean that this message coincide with the actual circumstances however the fact remains that SPG failed to produce a complete master statement for my account.
​​​
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maracle
Marriott has changed the way it computes lifetime elite status at least twice so far, long before any merger.

So I see no reason to particularly expect to see them keep the same way of computing lifetime elite status after the merger, whether they have enough data at SPG to do it or not. SPG lifetime status never involved lifetime points, so there's no expectation for someone coming from the SPG side that lifetime points should matter. And the merged program will have to consider both Marriott member expectations and SPG member expectations when deciding on merged benefits.

Isn't it just as likely that they might shift to the SPG model of only using lifetime nights and lifetime status years? (Though that brings up the equivalent question, of has Marriott been keeping track of your status years forever?)
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marriott has changed the way it computes lifetime elite status at least twice so far, long before any merger.

So I see no reason to particularly expect to see them keep the same way of computing lifetime elite status after the merger, whether they have enough data at SPG to do it or not. SPG lifetime status never involved lifetime points, so there's no expectation for someone coming from the SPG side that lifetime points should matter. And the merged program will have to consider both Marriott member expectations and SPG member expectations when deciding on merged benefits.

Isn't it just as likely that they might shift to the SPG model of only using lifetime nights and lifetime status years? (Though that brings up the equivalent question, of has Marriott been keeping track of your status years forever?)
Theoretically you are absolutely correct, it could be a copy paste of the SPG solution. However since MR moved away from the lifetime status years model they must have a good business reason to do so. Hence I would say it's unlikely but of course not impossible for a revert back to such a model. If I allow myself to speculate I would say a more likely scenario would be to consider a $ based model or a base nights based model (actual nights in bed) or some combination there of.... But I have been wrong before so all we can do is wait and see and hope MPG doesn't become a WoH type fiasco.

Last edited by X-ON; Jul 25, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.