Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You seem to be confusing requirements with benefits.

Requirements are what you need to earn lifetime status. Benefits are what the status gives.

The current Marriott Lifetime Gold requirements are 500 lifetime nights plus 1.6 million lifetime points. Lounge access is a Gold benefit, not a Lifetime Gold requirement.

It's much more likely that the requirements will change than than that the benefits will change. It would not be competitive for Marriott to continue to require 50 nights for a status which gives no lounge access, when SPG did the same at 50 nights. The SPG status that SPG calls "Gold" is much closer to Marriott Silver than to Marriott Gold.

However, SPG's lifetime status requirements do not involve points at all, only nights and years.

So it's not lounge status that you should be worried about, but the possibility that if you wait you might not need any lifetime points at all (and thus any UR points transferred now might be a "waste" if you didn't need the points for stays, just for lifetime status, and if you didn't need lifetime status now, just later).

So I agree with hhoope01 that you should wait to see what happens. If it turns out they'll get rid of the points requirements but add a years requirement which you're even further away from, you should have time to transfer those UR points (assuming you haven't used them for something else) at that time. But if it turns out that they'll get rid of (or reduce) the points requirement and not add any new requirements you haven't met already, then you won't ever need to use your UR points for this.
Ok i see ya'll point. What about putting my spending on my Marriott card as opposed to my other cards which earn better rewards like the SPG and Freedom Unlimited? I'm in this process now and its really hard not getting my "value" by using the Marriott card.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
Ok i see ya'll point. What about putting my spending on my Marriott card as opposed to my other cards which earn better rewards like the SPG and Freedom Unlimited? I'm in this process now and its really hard not getting my "value" by using the Marriott card.
Well, how is that any different from transferring UR? In either case, if it turns out in less than a year that you don't need lifetime points any more, then having earned them on a low-value credit card vs having transferred them from UR will both have been equally "a waste"?

So the main idea in "wait" is don't change your behavior while waiting!

I don't use my Marriott card anywhere other than Marriott family properties, except overseas (because not all my other cards have 0% forex) I've used it for restaurants because it earns extra points there.

The earning from that credit card (on everyday purchases) is so slow, that unless you have a gigantic amount of spend (way more than most people who aren't in business for themselves), you're not going to earn enough to make much of a dent. The 1 night from $3k of purchases is going to be way more significant than the 3000 points, but you don't nights, you only need points, right?
Old May 18, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, how is that any different from transferring UR? In either case, if it turns out in less than a year that you don't need lifetime points any more, then having earned them on a low-value credit card vs having transferred them from UR will both have been equally "a waste"?

So the main idea in "wait" is don't change your behavior while waiting!

I don't use my Marriott card anywhere other than Marriott family properties, except overseas (because not all my other cards have 0% forex) I've used it for restaurants because it earns extra points there.

The earning from that credit card (on everyday purchases) is so slow, that unless you have a gigantic amount of spend (way more than most people who aren't in business for themselves), you're not going to earn enough to make much of a dent. The 1 night from $3k of purchases is going to be way more significant than the 3000 points, but you don't nights, you only need points, right?
Yes that's true. My thought was the $3K would help my nights to retain platinum but like you said it may not be worth it and i'll be losing a lot by not putting on Freedom UNL or SPG instead. It's been bugging me a lot so i wont be putting my spend on Marriott anymore, luckily i've only done $700 so far.

Thanks for talking me out of this, i needed the extra voice besides my own.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Apologies if this has been covered, but have points converted from SPG via linked account increased the lifetime point counter? Conversely do points transferred out decrease the counter?

I'm guessing that SPG points aren't counting towards lifetime, because unless they also decreased on transfer out, you could transfer in and out to bump up your lifetime points.

I ask because my wife has a large amount of SPG points from credit card promotions which I plan to do family transfer to my SPG account and then transfer to my Marriott account (where I have a bunch of points from Marriott credit card promotions, too)
Old May 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Points from SPG do not count. Rewards line confirmed to me when the transfer option became available.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Apologies if this has been covered,
No and No.

Although it has been anecdotally noted that if your wife were to convert her SPG points to a Marriott account in her name, and then transfer them over to your Marriott account (presumably subject to a fee unless she is a Gold or Platinum elite), then her Marriott point lifetime counter would go down on the transfer and your Marriott point lifetime counter would go up.

I believe there are limits as to the amount of points that can be transferred between Marriott accounts (unless there's a pending award) --- you might wish to confirm.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by dgreen12
No and No.

Although it has been anecdotally noted that if your wife were to convert her SPG points to a Marriott account in her name, and then transfer them over to your Marriott account (presumably subject to a fee unless she is a Gold or Platinum elite), then her Marriott point lifetime counter would go down on the transfer and your Marriott point lifetime counter would go up.

I believe there are limits as to the amount of points that can be transferred between Marriott accounts (unless there's a pending award) --- you might wish to confirm.
Thanks for the options. Since SPG makes it easy to transfer between folks with the same address with no fee, I was going that route. The Marriott point sharing FAQ say up to 50k points for $10 -- this will be more than 50k points so won't work at first glance. But I have to consider if a 50k point bump to my lifetime status is worth $10 (with the rest having to go through the SPG door)
Old May 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the options. Since SPG makes it easy to transfer between folks with the same address with no fee, I was going that route. The Marriott point sharing FAQ say up to 50k points for $10 -- this will be more than 50k points so won't work at first glance. But I have to consider if a 50k point bump to my lifetime status is worth $10 (with the rest having to go through the SPG door)
Does your wife have Marriott status? Gold & Platinum transfer for free. You can also transfer more than the 50k max if you have a specific award you're redeeming for. (which award you can cancel after the transfer has been done, just pay attention when booking to make sure it's not a non-cancelable award)

If she doesn't currently have status, is there a way she can easily get it? For example, Amex platinum card = SPG Gold = Marriott Gold.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:43 am
alc

Originally Posted by ehallison
Does your wife have Marriott status? Gold & Platinum transfer for free. You can also transfer more than the 50k max if you have a specific award you're redeeming for. (which award you can cancel after the transfer has been done, just pay attention when booking to make sure it's not a non-cancelable award)

If she doesn't currently have status, is there a way she can easily get it? For example, Amex platinum card = SPG Gold = Marriott Gold.
I have at least 10 non-status member transfer since the introduction of the new transfer rule and none of them ever ask to pay the $10 fee. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Travellin_man
I've just hit Marriott Lifetime Platinum. Given that and the SPG/Marriott merger, I'm interested in other people's thinking, and strategy, for the future. Obviously I no longer need to chase Marriott nights each year to retain status, and will presumably retain Platinum for both Marriott and SPG until they fully merge.

For my future hotel needs, options might be:

1) Stay where I like within the Marriott/SPG envelope, enjoy all the benefits, collecting Platinum bonuses etc, and trying to hit whatever periodic bonuses arise just to bank points for future use.

2) Build up my SPG stays, in case the merger is some weird averaging of the Marriott and SPG status.

3) Status match somewhere, I guess realistically Hilton, and start building status there.

4) Stretch out, stay wherever I want, including cute little non-chains hotels, knowing I can always run to the Marriott/SPG mothership whenever I need to.

5) Worry that Marriott might introduce an uberPlatinum level in the future and keep mindlessly accumulating nights and points just in case.....

I can't be the only one in this place - what do others think?

TM
I'm almost to Lifetime Platinum and I've been thinking the same thing. I'm thinking a combination of 1, 4 and 5. #3 might not be bad to test the waters somewhere else as well.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by rmk1825
I'm almost to Lifetime Platinum and I've been thinking the same thing. I'm thinking a combination of 1, 4 and 5. #3 might not be bad to test the waters somewhere else as well.
They should require like 2000 nights for the uber-platinum status... make it Plat-Preimer but give some solid additional benefits, like upgrade priority over platinum, and faster point accruals. Wishful thinking.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
They should require like 2000 nights for the uber-platinum status... make it Plat-Preimer but give some solid additional benefits, like upgrade priority over platinum, and faster point accruals. Wishful thinking.
Any future 2000-night uber-platinum would lose priority to any future 3000-night ultra-uber-platinum.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by JackE
Any future 2000-night uber-platinum would lose priority to any future 3000-night ultra-uber-platinum.
Haha for sure! 3000 nights is almost 8 years in a Marriott hotel.... that would be insane.... not so much glory in that.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Haha for sure! 3000 nights is almost 8 years in a Marriott hotel.... that would be insane.... not so much glory in that.
I have 2900+ nights and hope they do that!
Old May 22, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by hnewman
I have 2900+ nights and hope they do that!
Man.. I'm only at 1350 nights... I have 10 more years of 170 nt/yr travel to catch up to that.... crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.