Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FindAWay
Wiki Link
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 12, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 380Flyer View Post
Is it possible for Marriott Rewards to show an indicator that the member has Lifetime status for either Silver, Gold or Platinum - just like what Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) has done in its account information section?
Of course they could, but they choose not to.

I requested my Lifetime Points the other day and the CSR replied with:
Marriott Rewards accounts do not record a lifetime balance of Marriott Rewards points. They only record the current balance. The lifetime balance of points earned must be manually calculated in order to be provided to a member.
Also, it's been stated they will not indicate lifetime status until you drop below your earned LT status. So LT Golds will not see anything until they drop to Silver and with softlandings can take a few years. I hope they change their minds about that. SPG had the same setup but listened to those that don't trust them to remember.
Old Dec 21, 12, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Sorry Roger, whomever you spoke with was full of stuff. Please see here for more info.

There are also others who have explained similar situations where they've asked for lifetime points, and were given the info they requested. On the flip side, there are a few MR agents who give ignorant answers like you received, or similar.
Old Dec 21, 12, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by USirritated View Post
Sorry Roger, whomever you spoke with was full of stuff. Please see here for more info.

There are also others who have explained similar situations where they've asked for lifetime points, and were given the info they requested. On the flip side, there are a few MR agents who give ignorant answers like you received, or similar.
Oh, I was also given my lifetime points in the same message. How they go about getting them is really of no concern to me (maybe he was fishing for a tip). I know if someone can go in and add up the numbers, then a program can do the same. This person just made it sound like they do not have a tool to do that for them and if they don't have it not likely we will get one (love to be proven wrong here).

I have found many CSRs/FDCs that will bull-dust their way through a question they don't know the real answer. Some get ignored, some get educated!
Old Dec 21, 12, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Oh, I was also given my lifetime points in the same message. How they go about getting them is really of no concern to me (maybe he was fishing for a tip). I know if someone can go in and add up the numbers, then a program can do the same. This person just made it sound like they do not have a tool to do that for them and if they don't have it not likely we will get one (love to be proven wrong here).

I have found many CSRs/FDCs that will bull-dust their way through a question they don't know the real answer. Some get ignored, some get educated!
BIG +1

A couple of days ago, I said that it's a total mystery to me why MR puts lifetime room nights total on the box seen immediately after sign in to marriott.com, but not also our lifetime accumulated points earned, along with what we already see, our year-to-date nights stayed and our current points balance.

It would be so easy for Marriott's IT professionals to set that up. Not to do that is pure silliness, especially now that MR has published the requirements for LT status, and acknowledged the existence of LT status in writing for the first time. Also, think of how much time and money would be saved by MR telephone agents not having to answer such a basic question, and which it appears that maybe 25-50% of them don't even understand the question in the first place!
Old Dec 21, 12, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BIG +1

A couple of days ago, I said that it's a total mystery to me why MR puts lifetime room nights total on the box seen immediately after sign in to marriott.com, but not also our lifetime accumulated points earned, along with what we already see, our year-to-date nights stayed and our current points balance.

It would be so easy for Marriott's IT professionals to set that up. Not to do that is pure silliness, especially now that MR has published the requirements for LT status, and acknowledged the existence of LT status in writing for the first time. Also, think of how much time and money would be saved by MR telephone agents not having to answer such a basic question, and which it appears that maybe 25-50% of them don't even understand the question in the first place!
Surly you have been around Marriott to know MR IT is far from cutting edge...

A saying we had at work was: Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it twice.
Old Dec 21, 12, 10:14 am

Surly you have been around Marriott to know MR IT is far from cutting edge...
Oh yes, I know that about MR and marriott.com in general, and have for a long time. Their IT achievements (or lack thereof) are so pitiful!

A saying we had at work was: Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it twice.
Great saying, so very true!
Old Dec 21, 12, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Back to the earlier topic - I do find it interesting that the points requirement was reduced from back when it was 2500 points/night (1200 nights/3M points) to 2000 (1000 nights/2M points) because the their analysis determined that the points threshold was proportinately too high. And now they're bringing it back to a number even higher 2666 (750 nights/2M points).

I do think the FTers, as they always do, will find a pattern where someone gets the short end of the stick, I don't beleive any program can be designed for 100% of all cases.

In theorizing about the changes, either here or on MI, we hypothesized a scheme on a sliding scale: (nights + (points/2000)) = total, with a target for the total (I just picked 2000, put in any appropriate number). That would address the 200 night, $1000/night Presidential Suite stayer and the 5 year, $100/night RI stayer.

But if members have a tough time with rollover nights, can you imagine a lifetime criteria involving actual math?
Old Dec 21, 12, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much effort do you put into LNF and how do you leverage it across the brands, especially on the low end?
It's simple. I search for all Marriott brands (a lot of LNF sites alow you to filter by "hotel name", and since a lot of Marriot brands have "by Marriott" in them, I can get results from a number of Marriott brands by just typing in "Marriott".

Exclusing perhaps Courtyard (not that it usually comes up as the cheapest anyway), on most of my regular stays, I'm open to any decent Marriott property at any price.

So I'm therefore happy enough if I can get a $90 a night Fairfield knocked down to $50 a night, even if I can also get a $100++ FS Marriott knocked down to $75 a night. (I typically need 3 weekday nights a week, so even a $25+tax difference adds up quickly, and as far as I can see the extra earning -- 10x vs 5x and 500 vs 250 Plat welcome bonus -- is not worth the $25+tax or more difference on a cumulative basis.)

I'm fortunate to have my regular stays be in an area (greater Anaheim CA) where pretty much always one Marriott family property or another is LNFable to well under $100, though far from always the same one.

(I'm not that picky about the hotels on these stays. When there's no Marriott promo going on, I'm likely to be going for the frequent "every 2 stays get 8000 points" promos at Choice with stays at cheap Comfort Inns, which with no LNF trick I can typically get in the $60ish+tax range. Part of the key is that on these stays I can get breakfast where I'm going after I leave the hotel, if I don't like the breakfast at that hotel enough.)
Old Dec 21, 12, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I do think the FTers, as they always do, will find a pattern where someone gets the short end of the stick, I don't beleive any program can be designed for 100% of all cases.
You are 100% correct CP, anyone can come up with a scenario or a formula, as I did a while back, and there will always be someone else raising their hand to say "but that won't work for me because..." When any of us work these scenarios or formulas out, it's not possible for anyone to lay out a scenario or formula which will suit anywhere close to 100% of the readers/participants in a given program. While not being able to suit 100% of the peoples, it would not be a stretch to come up with a scenario or formula which will make sense and generally apply to 50-60% of the readers/participants in a given program. After all, not everyone is the same, and not everyone stays in the same types of hotels as a preference, or a price range, or locations, etc.
Old Dec 21, 12, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While not being able to suit 100% of the peoples, it would not be a stretch to come up with a scenario or formula which will make sense and generally apply to 50-60% of the readers/participants in a given program. After all, not everyone is the same, and not everyone stays in the same types of hotels as a preference, or a price range, or locations, etc.
I suspect the current model is probably good for 80-90%+, though the points are again imbalanced with the nights. It should be 750/1.6M or so if they want to be consistent. The algorithm I laid out would be pretty close to 100, I believe. I don't really think there are a lot of 200 night Presidential suite or 5 year RI stayers in the MR population. Most of them/us are 50-100 night business traveler slogging through various levels of properties at corporate rates.
Old Dec 22, 12, 12:56 am

I suspect the current model is probably good for 80-90%+, though the points are again imbalanced with the nights. It should be 750/1.6M or so if they want to be consistent. The algorithm I laid out would be pretty close to 100, I believe. I don't really think there are a lot of 200 night Presidential suite or 5 year RI stayers in the MR population. Most of them/us are 50-100 night business traveler slogging through various levels of properties at corporate rates.
You may well be correct, and I would not quibble with your algorithm, especially since I do not have a degree in mathematics or statistics, as you seem to have (yes, it is impressive). I do have one thing to point out though. Now that Plat members receive a 50% points bonus on stays (as opposed to the previous 30% from a few years back), it makes 2 million points much easier than before, and when you add in a few years of Mega bonus and other bonuses, 2 million points just do not seem difficult to me anymore on a reasonable 10 year time frame. When you realize that just 10,000 in annual revenue for 10 years will get you 1.5 million points (and that is without credit card points), and just one 50,000 point Mega bonus per year for the same 10 years will get you the rest of the way over the same period, 2 million points, with 20/20 hindsight, does not seem so intimidating any more.
Old Dec 22, 12, 5:49 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
CPRich, in your post, you are describing me... I stay at whatever hotel is closest to where I need to be in the morning, which puts me at FI/CY/SHS half the time and FS/Ren/JW half the time. (Although JW is rare.) I've been traveling for work since August 2003, using my corporate rate unless there is something lower available. (large companies - switched employer in 2006) As of today, I'm at 746 nights and 1.99m points.

While I do have the Marriott CC, I've only had it two years and cannot use it for work, so it doesn't significantly impact my points or nights. Without the card, I would likely be sitting at 705 nights at 1.9m points. That would put me on track to qualify for LT Plat at about the nine-ten year mark.

In other words, IME, your assumptions and conclusions appear to be on point.

One more thing... I also always take the points as my Welcome Gift. Assuming half my stays are at the upper tier and half are at the lower tier, and allowing for the two years there was no Welcome Gift and for about 10% of my stays being more than one night, approximately 200k of my points are from Welcome Gifts!
Old Dec 22, 12, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that Plat members receive a 50% points bonus on stays (as opposed to the previous 30% from a few years back), it makes 2 million points much easier than before, and when you add in a few years of Mega bonus and other bonuses, 2 million points just do not seem difficult to me anymore on a reasonable 10 year time frame
Yes, I had thought about both increased bonuses and inflation on rooms netting more points per night for everyone. I still think the 2666/night is high, given that 2500/night was high just 3 years ago. But I also didn't go back to the 2000/night (750/1.5M) - putting it somewhere in the middle. I'm sure MR has more data points than I to find a happy medium. I'm at about 2280/night, so 1.6-1.7M seems right if I'm typical.

Either way, 2M seems high and I suspect points are back to the limiting factor for most folks, as it was pre-2009.

EDIT: Interestingly, CJKatl is at 2,667-2,695, so maybe MR is on target. Maybe my "typical" stays are on the low side.

In any case, it's a bit academic for me. I've moved from looking to hit Gold in a couple years to well in excess of Platinum in just three years due to the program changes. Now I'm interested in whether there will be anything special other than the status. I must admit, the metal SPG lifetime PLT card is a great little brand loyalty-building trinket.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 22, 12 at 8:33 am
Old Dec 22, 12, 9:23 am

Yes, I had thought about both increased bonuses and inflation on rooms netting more points per night for everyone. I still think the 2666/night is high, given that 2500/night was high just 3 years ago. But I also didn't go back to the 2000/night (750/1.5M) - putting it somewhere in the middle. I'm sure MR has more data points than I to find a happy medium. I'm at about 2280/night, so 1.6-1.7M seems right if I'm typical.

Either way, 2M seems high and I suspect points are back to the limiting factor for most folks, as it was pre-2009.

EDIT: Interestingly, CJKatl is at 2,667-2,695, so maybe MR is on target. Maybe my "typical" stays are on the low side.

In any case, it's a bit academic for me. I've moved from looking to hit Gold in a couple years to well in excess of Platinum in just three years due to the program changes. Now I'm interested in whether there will be anything special other than the status. I must admit, the metal SPG lifetime PLT card is a great little brand loyalty-building trinket.
All of what you have calculated is really interesting, and is certainly helpful. It would have been especially helpful to me, if I was not suddenly "across the LT Plat finish line."

My lifetime accumulated points is 2,634,248.
My lifetime accumulated room nights is 836.
My lifetime points to night ratio is 3,151.

I guess that means my average room rate per night is a bit higher than your projected average, and I would have been comfortably over the points threshold upon hitting 750 nights, at 2,363,250. Without doing extremely laborious research to determine all of my non-folio points (welcome gifts, bonuses, compensation, etc.), I can only guess at those points additions to my account. I would guess 20% as a reasonable number attributable to non-folio points. Subtracting 20% from my points/night ratio would leave 2,521, and then subtracting a further 33.3% (to reflect the Plat bonus of 50%*), would leave 1,681.51, which would seem to indicate my average rate of $168.15/night. What do you think, am I on the high side for average rates paid by elite members?

*I realize that the bonus was 30% up until fairly recently, but for the purposes of this exercise, "quick and dirty" is sufficient, and perfect is not a realistically achievable result.

I also agree with you, some sort of a memorable, hard wearing, long lasting, keepsake style LT identity card would not only be desirous, but it would also induce continued loyalty to MI, as would one or two additional benefits for LT members, at least for those reaching Gold and Platinum (as I have said before, I do not think much of a status which only requires as little as 10 nights per year on a continuing basis).
Old Dec 22, 12, 10:22 pm

Location: TAS - somewhere I can't use my FF status and points very well.
Programs: AA PLT & LTG, DL DIA & LTS, Marriott PLT & LTG
Interestingly, I'm at 4,656/night ($232/night) for my lifetime total, though with rollover, I'll be at 2,666/night ($130/night) in 1 week. If I go strictly with points and stays at the hotel (which still includes plat bonus, room service etc..), I'm at 3,264/night or $163/night.

I guess my point is that it's pretty hard to measure what is fair and isn't fair, because there are so many ways to collect points and nights. Staying 150 nights in 1 year is more favorable to you (225 nights) than staying 25 nights in 6 years (150 nights), for example, just based on how the rules work.

Search this Thread