Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by USirritated
I can't stress enough how much the Plat arrival gift in points can add up. If a person averages 20 stays (not nights) per year at full service 500 X 20, and 10 stays per year at CY 250 X 10, that is 12,500 points per year just in welcome gifts, and over 10 years, that is 125,000 points! That is not crumbs, and it really adds up!

I attained my 2.6million+ points total without ever having a Marriott credit card, plus most of my peak earning years were when Plat only got a 30% bonus on points earned for hotel stays, not the present 50% bonus, which has been in place for the last few years. Also, if you go after all of the mega bonus point offers you can get, that can add up to between 75,000 and 100,000 per year (different every year), so that means just between the welcome points and the mega bonuses, over 10 years, not including what is earned from the actual folios from each stay, that adds up to between approx. 875,000 and 1,175,000, which is pretty damn good.

Without using the Marriott credit cards, if a Plat member stays just 75 nights per year, at just $100/night, with no incidentals, meaning just $7,500 in yearly folios, the base points earned will be 75,000, plus 50% plat bonus, comes out to 112,500 points per year on base spending. Over 10 years, that comes to 1,125,000 points.

Add it up for 10 years
Welcome points 125,000
Mega bonus 875,000 (average of low 750K and high of 1M)
Folio points 1,125,000
Total 2,125,000

For conservatively low hotel stays and reasonable estimations of mega bonus and welcome points, 2,125,000 is fairly easily attained over a 10 year time frame, which would get someone qualified for LT Plat, with a little room to spare on points, but lots of room to spare if someone were to stay at just a few more expensive properties. Pretty reasonable, right? Seriously, is that so tough?
However, in USirritated's analysis, if the same hypothetical person had spent those 75 nights per year at RI properties for $100 per night, he/she would not heve earned the points required for lifetime Gold. Folio points would be reduced by half. That really hurts!

Yet the same number of nights were spent, in each case, the person would have earned ten years as Marriott Plat, and the total spending would have been the same. If using extended stay properties also reduced the number of stays per year, the consequences to the points total would have been even greater due to loss of more of the (now lower anyway) welcome points.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
so the moral of this story would be if the price is the same, or even close, stay at FS props over extended stay props and earn more points, get all the std perks and earn bonuses quicker...............

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, in USirritated's analysis, if the same hypothetical person had spent those 75 nights per year at RI properties for $100 per night, he/she would not heve earned the points required for lifetime Gold. Folio points would be reduced by half. That really hurts!

Yet the same number of nights were spent, in each case, the person would have earned ten years as Marriott Plat, and the total spending would have been the same. If using extended stay properties also reduced the number of stays per year, the consequences to the points total would have been even greater due to loss of more of the (now lower anyway) welcome points.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
so the moral of this story would be if the price is the same, or even close, stay at FS props over extended stay props and earn more points, get all the std perks and earn bonuses quicker...............
.....or the moral of the story is that all Marriott hotel brands are not created equal for points earnings and especially lifetime status. They penalize you twice for staying in certain brands at the same rates: frost of points earned toward reward stays and then again when you try to qualify for lifetime status. In the example, the difference is between easily getting lifetime Platinum versus only having lifetime Silver despite having earned exactly ten full years as Platinum in both cases.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club

MSP, you are 100% correct about that, and in my eyes, it has always been suspect of Marriott that they only give 5 points per dollar spent at RI and especially at TPS (which is almost exactly the same as SHS, so why the points difference?), and doing it that way is a significant shortfall in MR program. I will not deny that I have spent nights at those two brands, but not enough times to actually make a significant difference in my totals. Keep in mind, there have usually been other promos over the years, like a stay twice at Ren in the next 60 days and get 3,000 points (or something like that), and also, anyone who does not pick up some "compensation" points from a hotel every year or two, would be very surprising (such as making a minor complaint and being offered 5,000 points from a hotel, or making a major complaint and being offered 10,000 points, or even more) and I have noticed the trend towards compensation points from hotel management to be more recently than in the past for some reason, even getting offers of points sometimes without making a complaint. I am sure that I'm forgetting one or two other ways I've received points over the years, through promos or otherwise. It really is not that difficult, plus, how many people do you think would earn a majority of their points at RI and TPS over a 10 year period? Yes, I do agree, it would be a significant stinker if that was the case. I designed my analysis to fit MOST people, and for most people it would most likely yield LT Plat in 10 years or so, or at worst, LT Gold, in the same time period.

.....or the moral of the story is that all Marriott hotel brands are not created equal for points earnings and especially lifetime status. They penalize you twice for staying in certain brands at the same rates: frost of points earned toward reward stays and then again when you try to qualify for lifetime status. In the example, the difference is between easily getting lifetime Platinum versus only having lifetime Silver despite having earned exactly ten full years as Platinum in both cases.
I think that the incidence of Plat members who end up with only LT Silver would be extremely low, almost to the point of not being worth talking about. And of course, LT Silver is so ridiculous as a status to have, who would want it?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
I think that the incidence of Plat members who end up with only LT Silver would be extremely low, almost to the point of not being worth talking about.
Not sure I agree. I have been (sometimes) Gold or (usually) Platinum every year since 2000 and although I have enough nights for LT Plat I have only racked up around 700,000 points because I generally stay at inexpensive properties including RI's. I have the Marriott visa but only use it when staying at Marriotts because of the low yield for other purchases. I think there may be a fair amount of people in my situation who travel on their own dime and are price sensitive.

And those who choose miles over points will have no shot at any LT elite if Marriott sticks to the proposed nights+points qualification.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Not sure I agree. I have been (sometimes) Gold or (usually) Platinum every year since 2000 and although I have enough nights for LT Plat I have only racked up around 700,000 points because I generally stay at inexpensive properties including RI's. I have the Marriott visa but only use it when staying at Marriotts because of the low yield for other purchases. I think there may be a fair amount of people in my situation who travel on their own dime and are price sensitive.

And those who choose miles over points will have no shot at any LT elite if Marriott sticks to the proposed nights+points qualification.
I knew about the miles versus points issue, but there have been very few miles people participating in this discussion, and since there is no way to qualify on miles, there was not much to address there.

I just did a quick and dirty calculation of what your stays MIGHT look like, and came up with an average room cost of around $55-65/night, is that right? Did you not ever go after mega bonus and other promos? Although it is very possible, it would seem to me that it would take a MAJOR effort to stay over 750 nights, but under 1 million points, along with spending more on gas because of not being in cities or suburbs, but being farther outside of towns, is that correct?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:05 am

Not sure I agree. I have been (sometimes) Gold or (usually) Platinum every year since 2000 and although I have enough nights for LT Plat I have only racked up around 700,000 points because I generally stay at inexpensive properties including RI's. I have the Marriott visa but only use it when staying at Marriotts because of the low yield for other purchases.
As an example, 75 nights per year, averaging $60/night, with ONLY 30% Plat bonus, plus extra 5 points per dollar for using Marriott Visa would work out as follows:

75 X $60 = $4,500 annual spend
$4,500 X 5 base stay MR points = 22,500
22,500 + 30% Plat bonus = 29,250
$4,500 X Marriott Visa 5 points/dollar = 22,500
Marriott points 29,250 + Visa points 22,500 = 51,750
12 years X 51,750 = 621,000
25 check ins per year X 200 points (PLAT gift) = 5,000
5,000 X 12 years = 60,000
Base + Plat bonus + Plat gift = 681,000

This would mean you never went after any Mega bonuses, and only picked up a few other bonuses* now and again, is that right? That is a remarkable stay pattern, and it would seem to me that it would not only be very difficult to do, but also a stay pattern which would be very rare, maybe the lowest 3% of all elite guests. Does that sound right?

*Or is the difference between 681K and what you actually have only the difference of the increase in Plat bonus points from 30% to 50% in the last few years?

Last edited by USirritated; Dec 20, 2012 at 7:07 am Reason: comment about increase of 30-50% Plat bonus
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
I just did a quick and dirty calculation of what your stays MIGHT look like, and came up with an average room cost of around $55-65/night, is that right? Did you not ever go after mega bonus and other promos? Although it is very possible, it would seem to me that it would take a MAJOR effort to stay over 750 nights, but under 1 million points, along with spending more on gas because of not being in cities or suburbs, but being farther outside of towns, is that correct?
Never analyzed it but I'm sure my stay ave is over $65/night. I switched from miles to points several years ago when I realized the benefit of using the travel packages for stays in Europe where it's tough to find an inexpensive Marriott branded property in large cities and after reading about LT status (requiring a buildup of points) on FT. But I'm behind the curve for having been collecting miles for several years. I don't generally stay outside major towns just to save $$. But if I'm in (say) Chicago I would probably stay at a cheaper RI rather than full service Marriott and will go for the weekend when prices are lower. It's my own dime so price is a major factor in my choice and I never do a mattress run just to rack up points. I do collect 15 nights/yr & points on Marriott stays from my MR Visa. It is what it is. I just hope that Marriott addresses LT status for those who choose miles instead of points and are no less loyal to the brand.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:59 am

Never analyzed it but I'm sure my stay ave is over $65/night. I switched from miles to points several years ago when I realized the benefit of using the travel packages for stays in Europe where it's tough to find an inexpensive Marriott branded property in large cities and after reading about LT status (requiring a buildup of points) on FT.

I just hope that Marriott addresses LT status for those who choose miles instead of points and are no less loyal to the brand.
I did not make any calculations for miles of course, since there is no possibility of obtaining LT status on miles instead of points, and did not consider that a possibility for you since you had not mentioned it in (recent) earlier posts.

I would think that it is VERY doubtful that Marriott will choose to address LT status for mileage choosers rather than points choosers, since the cost of awarding miles to elite members is so much more expensive for MR than members earning points. Also, it is one of the rare circumstances in life that not only is it better for Marriott to have accounts earning points instead of miles, but it is also better for the account holders, due to the very favorable terms for using points for awards including miles, etc. It is too bad that there is not a better explanation on the rules and benefit pages of marriott.com so that guests can make a more educated choice at the time they become members/account holders, instead of having to find out the hard way later, as you have.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Here's a very different example that shows how extremely bad the current lifetime elite qualification rules can be for those who stay in RIs and other properties that don't earn full points. (I suspect that many RI guests have most of their Marriott stays in RIs, perhaps due to the nature of their business travel.)

Suppose someone spends five years in a RI at a rate of $100 per night. Ignoring leap years, this is 5 X $36,500 = $182,500 total spend or 922,500 base points. Assume no Marriott credit card and no promo points. The person gets NO welcome points because they were not Plat when they arrived. At 30% elite bonus, the guest earns 276,750 additional points for a total of 1,209,250, while at 50% elite bonus, the guest would earn 461,250 additional points for a total of 1,383,750. However, both of these calculations ignore the fact that the person would not have Platinum status for somewhat more than the first 75 nights, so that the bonus points must be reduced accordingly for 80-100 nights (up to 15,000-25,000 points on the first $10,000 of spend).

The bottom line is that this hypothetical RI resident has probably spend over $200,000 (including dry cleaning, parking, and other charges that don't earn points) for over 1825 BIB nights and at least 2985 lifetime elite status nights including rollover, has earned Platinum for six years in a row, yet (at 30%) has not made lifetime Silver or earned it during the last year (at 50%). In both cases, the person is far from earning lifetime Gold due to total points, let alone lifetime Platinum.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 20, 2012 at 8:29 am Reason: correct the correction for no Plat bonus points at beginning
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:20 am

I would think that it is VERY doubtful that Marriott will choose to address LT status for mileage choosers rather than points choosers, since the cost of awarding miles to elite members is so much more expensive for MR than members earning points.
Perhaps not so doubtful ... This exchange #79 occurred on the MR Insider Blog:

Hi Michelle,

Yes your text is perfectly clean and clear.

But I don't understand why someone who has chosen to earn miles instead of points has no shot at getting LT Elite? LT elite is a reward for loyalty to the Marriott brand. Am I less loyal to Marriott because I chose to earn miles than my neighbor who stayed the same # of nights in the same hotel and paid the same dollar amount for the stay but chose to earn points?

Frankly I don't think it is fair. I would be appreciative if you could explain the rationale.

Thanks.

Michelle's Reply (post # 93)

interesting perspective. We're thinking through that one...stand by.

Perhaps mileage earners (and all MR members) will have an opportunity using different parameters akin to the SPG earnings rules ...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting analysis from both sides. It is true that the points requirement puts in a certain revenue factor which I think is a good thing, however it is skewed too low for the RI/TPS stays at only 50%.

In my case, most of my business related stays were at FS Marriotts where I also earned points for hotel incidentals which helps a lot... and with the old (current) thresholds I would be hitting the cumulative points for Plat, but still be 200nts short.

With the new thresholds I'm right at it for both points and nights, so my stay and spend mix could be viewed as the typical 'target' for what they'd like a lifetime plat to do between hotel stays, incidental spend, and credit card spend.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Sorry if it has already been asked and posted but how do you find your lifetime points earned?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:32 am

Suppose someone spends five years in a RI at a rate of $100 per night. Ignoring leap years, this is 5 X $36,500 = $182,500 total spend or 922,500 base points. Assume no Marriott credit card and no promo points. The person gets NO welcome points because they were not Plat when they arrived. At 30% elite bonus, the guest earns 276,750 additional points for a total of 1,209,250, while at 50% elite bonus, the guest would earn 461,250 additional points for a total of 1,383,750. However, both of these calculations ignore the fact that the person would not have Platinum status for somewhat more than the first 75 nights, so that the bonus points must be reduced accordingly for 80-100 nights (up to 15,000-25,000 points on the first $10,000 of spend).

The bottom line is that this hypothetical RI resident has probably spend over $200,000 (including dry cleaning, parking, and other charges that don't earn points) for over 1825 BIB nights and at least 2985 lifetime elite status nights including rollover, has earned Platinum for six years in a row, yet (at 30%) has not made lifetime Silver or earned it during the last year (at 50%). In both cases, the person is far from earning lifetime Gold due to total points, let alone lifetime Platinum.
A few important points to be made here. First, MSP is entirely correct, considering the present and recent MR and elite circumstances/rules.

Second, this example is completely illustrative about why there should be two alternative tracks for reaching LT status, track one with higher points and lower nights, and track two with higher nights and lower points. (I will ignore LT Silver for this conversation.)

Maybe something like this:
GOLD track one - 2 million points (no outside Marriott credit card spending counts), 350 nights;
GOLD track two - 1.2 million points (outside credit card spending counts), 700 nights BIB;
both require at least one year at Gold status or higher.

PLATINUM track one - 2.5 million points (no outside Marriott credit card spending counts), 525 nights;
PLATINUM track two - 1.5 million points (outside credit card spending counts), 1100 nights BIB;
both require at least one year at Platinum status or higher.

AFAIR, I've always received points for parking charges, and almost every other ancillary spend appearing on my folio, is this not correct, or has there been a change I'm not aware of? AFTER NOTE: Sorry, I just realized that ancillary spend only gets point credit at FS hotels, but not at long term stay hotels. How about for select service hotels such as CY and FI?

Last edited by USirritated; Dec 20, 2012 at 9:38 am Reason: added after note to last paragraph
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Sorry if it has already been asked and posted but how do you find your lifetime points earned?
See HERE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.